PDA

View Full Version : why not a CAT?????

stinky-stabi
06-05-2009, 09:15 PM
the goverment has just bought a fleet 9 stabi-craft's:vrolijk_26:, so i just wanted to ask why:smash: did they buy what they bought and not cats::) ???

i know some one will be able to explain:gossip: ???

thought it was a good question ;D

stinky-stabi
06-05-2009, 09:37 PM
20 minutes an havnt had one bite...?????
they all must be servicing that second engine???
just joking boyz x..pmsl

Teabag73
06-05-2009, 09:55 PM
There is no real answer to this. Has a person who has worked for the Goverment (Defence-Navy) for nearly 20 years many of there desisions wrt boat/ship procurement don't and won't make sense nor be logical.............That's fact and history proves this........

PS: Doesn't mean it's the wrong decision in this case though?

darylive
06-05-2009, 10:01 PM
depends what they are used for. Cats don't turn well, especially on waves

DAVE_S
06-05-2009, 10:03 PM
I think you will find that there hulls come standard Commercially rated .

fly_1
06-05-2009, 11:24 PM
because they are cheaper..

Lovey80
06-05-2009, 11:34 PM
And if I was going to commision boats for everyday use as customs vessels etc there's no bloody way I'd buy glass for some lunatic employee to bust up.

Cheers

Chris

P.S. Customs may have to pursue people and that may require sharp turns as said above?

Jabba_
07-05-2009, 05:08 AM
Well they went for the Stabi due to it stability and level floatation, most other boats and cats float upside down.... Also Cats are not a good performer in a pursuit.... Cats eat up the chop, and make good rescue boats, but they just cant be made to turn quickly, especialy in a following sea and they are slower then a mono in a straight line... And Cat stands for Capsize Any Time.....;D

lee8sec
07-05-2009, 08:26 AM
I wouldn't class "because the government brought it" as a good recomendation;D Leigh

backlash08
07-05-2009, 08:30 AM
I wouldn't class "because the government brought it" as a good recomendation;D Leigh

and isnt that a fact!

Greg P
07-05-2009, 11:50 AM
Good to see Aussie money going to Aussie companies :-X::)

No different to the Kiwi stimulus payments from kruddy I suppose.

wheelerdog
07-05-2009, 12:59 PM
i tink the coronial enquiry into the Malu Sara incident in the Torres Strait would have influenced the decision.

ie buy a proven product and yes most small vessells operated by customs, quarantine etc are aluminium.

Except the Feds who run a suzsuki powered glass cat:-/

Grand_Marlin
07-05-2009, 01:56 PM
Now that K Rudd has handed out all the money - they just couldn't afford the best any more 8-)

Buying a fleet of Stabi's has seriously compromised Australian National Security...
In wake of this expect to see more drugs on the street, more illegal immigrants, shark sightings will increase, the dollar will drop and the price of milk will go up :-/

Very, very stupid indeed :o

Cheers

Pete

Jabba_
07-05-2009, 04:00 PM
I guess your correct, as they were all (under)-powered by Yamaha's..:P

stevej
07-05-2009, 04:58 PM
Now that K Rudd has handed out all the money - they just couldn't afford the best any more 8-)

Buying a fleet of Stabi's has seriously compromised Australian National Security...
In wake of this expect to see more drugs on the street, more illegal immigrants, shark sightings will increase, the dollar will drop and the price of milk will go up :-/

Very, very stupid indeed :o

Cheers

Pete

sarcasm i hope

the boat is the last link in what the government does, stopping the boats before they leave to bring their booty here is more important

chop duster
07-05-2009, 05:14 PM
great more compo payments to public servant for crook backs and knee's!
Local alumn welders would be licking their lips.
Wonder if the female deckies would be able to deal with the boob bounce thingy?

Fish Guts
07-05-2009, 05:28 PM
they only went the stabi craft because noosa cat couldnt be bothered picking up the phone. we all knew that !

Crunchy
07-05-2009, 05:30 PM

Hahaha... Prolly some heirachy dude saw Stinky's previous post on this issue and thought "What a great idea, lets get Stabi's for the visual entertainment"

On another matter, why didn't they choose the better Kiwi-Kraft?

stinky-stabi
07-05-2009, 05:53 PM
Hahaha... Prolly some heirachy dude saw Stinky's previous post on this issue and thought "What a great idea, lets get Stabi's for the visual entertainment"

On another matter, why didn't they choose the better Kiwi-Kraft?

or the TYPHOON built by wayne holland,,, i would of bought one but was a little out of my budget....but like you say they have the money to spend so why not buy aussie???????..oi oi oi...what am i saying i didnt:smash:
wonder if they have full boob rails oops i mean grab rails...lololololol

Catweb
07-05-2009, 09:10 PM
great more compo payments to public servant for crook backs and knee's!
Local alumn welders would be licking their lips.

My thoughts exactly having had the mispleasure of riding in a 5.5 stabi over SA gulf chop. Back breaking, shit of a wet ride >:( . Just hideous really>:( .

Give me cat anyday over a stabi.

mangomick
08-05-2009, 12:33 PM
With the Kiwi dollar worth bugga all, I reckon Kevin 07 is trying to save us taxpayers a few bucks so he can give us all a big tax cut after this budget or......................

hungry6
08-05-2009, 04:21 PM
they only went the stabi craft because noosa cat couldnt be bothered picking up the phone. we all knew that !

Isn't that the truth!!!!

Anyone ever tried to order a new Noosacat will relate to FG quote.

stinky-stabi
09-05-2009, 08:50 AM
catweb sounds more like you were riding in a webster .......lolololol.pmsl

TheRealAndy
09-05-2009, 09:14 AM
If you had seen what I did yesterday you will understand. EPA new boat launched at Shorncliffe. Took the idiots about half an hour to get it off the trailer. Skipper finally gets the boat off, deckie parks the trailer. High tide, so no beach. Skipper runs the boat up onto the rocks (think manly ferry style) so deckie can climb on board. I doubt any production model cat could handle that! Maybe a custom build aluminium cat would have been ok..

finding_time
09-05-2009, 09:24 AM
Plus it also takes abit of intelligents to drive a cat well!! Best that the public servants stick to the stabi!!!!

Ian

Greg P
09-05-2009, 09:28 AM

I'd take the old boys Webster any day over a stabi ::)::)::):P;D

Teabag73
09-05-2009, 09:48 AM
Plus it also takes abit of intelligents to drive a cat well!! Best that the public servants stick to the stabi!!!!

Ian

Don't tar every public servant with that brush. There are many doing a great job for this country that many of the genral public should be greatful for.......>:(
Bureaucrats would be more appropriate IMO.......:)

mangomick
09-05-2009, 11:14 AM
teabag
with a name like tea bag and those last comments let me have a guess at what you do for a crust;D

Teabag73
09-05-2009, 12:58 PM
teabag
with a name like tea bag and those last comments let me have a guess at what you do for a crust;D

Mangomick,

I'm sure if you where to guess you would possibly be correct......Ill informed broad statements like that belie their understanding of how it all works.........

mangomick
09-05-2009, 03:19 PM
hope the skin on the stabicraft are pretty thick ;D ;D

Catweb
09-05-2009, 04:04 PM

Quite the contrary actually stinky, I have sacked my Chiro since buying the Webster. I'll bet yours is still in your full time employ but eh?:-X ;D

insideout
09-05-2009, 04:22 PM
wouldnt it all come down to tendering , and the australian $1 buying $6435 nz dollars atm? lol;)

stinky-stabi
10-05-2009, 07:23 PM
Quite the contrary actually stinky, I have sacked my Chiro since buying the Webster. I'll bet yours is still in your full time employ but eh?:-X ;D

no i have the best thing for it and its called youth...lolololol

Noelm
11-05-2009, 09:24 AM
OK, OK, this sort of thing comes up all the time, it matter bugger all whether the Stabi is good bad or other wise, it is a tender process, as long as the boat covers all the specs set out in the request document, and the price is LOW, then they get the deal, no one actually runs around testing all the makes and decides what is the best or looks the prettiest, it comes down to dollars, I have been involved in Government tenders a hundred times, they do not care about the brand or anything else, it needs to fit the price and be delivered on time, I have seen some real crap win tenders, but it does not make them good because the Gov uses them, they also used old riveted Dehaviland tinnies and Volvo Outboards at one time! enough said on that one.