PDA

View Full Version : Correct Whey of using Trim Tabs

troy
06-05-2009, 07:28 PM
How many new and old members know what is the correct way of using trim tabs.
I think this a important thread.
Just want to have someone who can go through the process better than i can.
I have just seen a few boaties over the weekend that did not know which tab to use to correct lean in a side on sea and i found it hard to describe to them .
Can someone try to help the easiest way to how you use tabs.
One boatie nearly flipped his boat by pushing the wrong tab.
No piont saying port or starboard as it to hard to explain to new boat owners.
I have found it really hard to help out and need someone to go through the process of getting the best out of trim tabs.
Thanks
Troy

gofishin
06-05-2009, 07:47 PM
Troy,
Do a search on here, google, or visit the manufacturer's websites. There is mountains of info to read up on.

troy
06-05-2009, 08:21 PM
Thanks Go Fishing,
Hard to explain things to new boaties and i am not really good at that.
Just do not want any one to get hurt or more fatal.
We had 30 notts up here for the long weekend and a few got into trouble.
Thanks
Troy

Getout
07-05-2009, 07:22 AM
Can't see how a wrong trim tab setting can flip a boat, but it can make the boat uncomfortable and create a need for steering correction.
Trim tabs are used to level the boat's uneven ride (usually caused by prop torque/constantly turning-into-the-wind effect). The tab on the same side as the lean, is lowered until the ride levels. Once the ride is level, further bow-down trim is achieved by lowering both tabs.
Most tab controls are set up so that you press the top of the right rocker switch to lower the right side of the bow and visa versa.
To use them properly and maintain the best ride, they need constant attention to account for changes in wind speed/direction and boat speed. Once you work them out they are priceless.
Lots of trim tab down, causes steering pull to that side, as well as transom lift. Using too much tab, does lift the height of the outboard leg and can cause prop ventilation.
I have a giggle when I see powerboats zapping along, leaning to one side. They ovbiously don't notice the slamming or the gear sliding off the dash.

Smithy
07-05-2009, 07:55 AM
Using my fuel flow meter I know with mine I get better economy using a lot of trim tab if I want to keep my nose down in slop but still keeping my trim about level on my outboard trim gauge. I had always done a bit of both, tuck under with the outboard and a bit of tab. Sometimes it is that sloppy I am using a heap of tab plus being fully trimmed in on the outboard. Mine are only the littlest Bennetts so can't get me into too much trouble but the other day when the switch went for the second time in only 3months I was not impressed with one side on full tab down. I had everyone and the esky on one side to keep myself level.

troy
07-05-2009, 11:24 AM
Can't see how a wrong trim tab setting can flip a boat, but it can make the boat uncomfortable and create a need for steering correction.
Trim tabs are used to level the boat's uneven ride (usually caused by prop torque/constantly turning-into-the-wind effect). The tab on the same side as the lean, is lowered until the ride levels. Once the ride is level, further bow-down trim is achieved by lowering both tabs.
Most tab controls are set up so that you press the top of the right rocker switch to lower the right side of the bow and visa versa.
To use them properly and maintain the best ride, they need constant attention to account for changes in wind speed/direction and boat speed. Once you work them out they are priceless.
Lots of trim tab down, causes steering pull to that side, as well as transom lift. Using too much tab, does lift the height of the outboard leg and can cause prop ventilation.
I have a giggle when I see powerboats zapping along, leaning to one side. They ovbiously don't notice the slamming or the gear sliding off the dash.
As i said it was blowing 30 notts and the sea was side on all the time and one bloke told me his boat had a bad lean from the wind while doing about 25 mph so he pressed down the tab but it was the wrong one and he said he thought the boat was going to flip and it nearly shot a couple of passengers in the drink.
Whether you can flip a boat this way or not it sure did give him a fright.
Troy

TOPAZ
07-05-2009, 11:37 AM
Hi All,

In my previous boat, I had fitted manual tabs, and so I became used to the setup where the right hand lever operated the starboard tab and vice versa.
When I ordered my new Whittley, and had tabs fitted as original equipment, the dealer fitted them as the manufacturer suggests, and the right hand switch operated the PORT tab, and the left hand switch, the STARBOARD tab.
This setup enables you to work on the idea that to lower the PORT bow, you press on the LEFT hand switch etc., thereby lowering the STARBOARD tab.
I found that I could not get used to this, so I swapped the connections over so that I am back to the arrangement whereby the Right hand switch operates the right hand tab etc., which is what I was used to with the manual tabs in the old boat.
I have labelled the switches with 'TAB DOWN' and 'TAB UP' so I know exactly what is happening.

This works for me - the original way may work better for others.

Whichever, it takes a little while to get the hang of what to move and when, but once mastered, it becomes second nature and you don't even have to think about it.

Richard.

finding_time
07-05-2009, 01:00 PM
Richard

It's a real bummer when you go from a boat set up one way to a boat set up another! I does your head in all day!

Ian

gofishin
07-05-2009, 01:11 PM
Troy, most important thing to tell your mates is to use them in short bursts, say 1-2 secs at a time, especially when they are only getting used to them. This way they will work out sooner, and with less dramatic effect, if they are going to scare the sh!t out of themselves ;D
cheers

Getout
07-05-2009, 03:46 PM
Using my fuel flow meter I know with mine I get better economy using a lot of trim tab if I want to keep my nose down in slop but still keeping my trim about level on my outboard trim gauge. I had always done a bit of both, tuck under with the outboard and a bit of tab. Sometimes it is that sloppy I am using a heap of tab plus being fully trimmed in on the outboard. Mine are only the littlest Bennetts so can't get me into too much trouble but the other day when the switch went for the second time in only 3months I was not impressed with one side on full tab down. I had everyone and the esky on one side to keep myself level.

Smithy, what happens to the switch? I have had the little Bennett sport tabs for a couple of years without problem. I do have the manual rocker ones.
They definitely slow the boat when I use them but it is worth it for a better ride.

I agree with Gofishin, short bursts are the way to find the correct setting. The boat has a delayed response to trim tab adjustment. I always try to use as little tab as possible in a following sea. I reckon they could cause nasty handling if too much tab is on.

Getout
07-05-2009, 03:48 PM
As i said it was blowing 30 notts and the sea was side on all the time and one bloke told me his boat had a bad lean from the wind while doing about 25 mph so he pressed down the tab but it was the wrong one and he said he thought the boat was going to flip and it nearly shot a couple of passengers in the drink.
Whether you can flip a boat this way or not it sure did give him a fright.
Troy

Blowin 30kts and travelling at 25 kts in a beam sea? He must be nuts! I wouldn't blame trim tabs for that incident.

ozbee
07-05-2009, 04:01 PM
following sea i always have the motor pretty well on neutral trim or a touch out . use very little tabs only to level boats keel . punching in its the usual motor below neutral plus enough tabs to even keel plus enough to hold down the nose but not enough to bury into a wave actually about a merter rise above a wave . is nice this is a vee bottom and also NQ CONDITIONS which have closer waves so suit your trim to your area

Smithy
07-05-2009, 05:01 PM
The switches just die. There is no positive clicking sound when they go like they have when new. That is the new Euro styler rocker switch. The old blocky style ones are going strong in boats I am on all the time like Ymer which is early 90's build.

Spaniard_King
07-05-2009, 08:33 PM
The trick with tabs is definately easy as you go, by this I mean no more than 2 touches of the button and see what the effect is.

Learning about tabs requires simply time at the wheel in all conditions, no 2 days are the same.