PDA

View Full Version : Buying a boat...need help!!!!

Jake Jacobson
06-05-2009, 03:31 PM
Been looking at a heap of boats from deep v tinnes to plate to fiberglass and cant make up my mind!! I like river fishing abd also like going offshore. I've been looking at pro-line, hooker, grady-white and cougar crafts for variety. I'm looking to spend around 50k. Does anyone know any names of boats to have a look at?????

Thanks heaps

TheRealAndy
06-05-2009, 04:48 PM
In my opinion you can either get a shit hot estuary boat, or a shit hot offshore. Its hard to find one that will do both well. If you are spending 50k, may I suggest you take a good look at the Yalta 555. It is a good offshore boat that would be ok up larger rivers. I would also recommend taking a look at the Formosa boats, you get a lot of bang for buck with them.

However, I think you need to first figure out exactly what you want for a boat. Going out and looking at them is the first step, dont rush into it. Walk around the boat and get a feel for it. Think about where you will spend a majority of your time fishing. Also think about where you will go fishing most of the time. No point having a 6m glass boat when you will spend 90% of your time fishing and crabbing up the creeks.

brute898
06-05-2009, 05:46 PM
I agree with Real Andy, the Formosa range of boats are great. I have been looking into the centre cab range. They offer 360 degrees of fishing so it would be great to take offshore but you could also use it in an estuary. I highly recomend having a look at them.
Anyway im sure you will be happy with what ever you send up choosing.

Angla
06-05-2009, 05:54 PM
Cruise Craft 575 Outsider/Explorer

Cheers
Chris

Scalem
06-05-2009, 06:18 PM
I agree with The real Andy - though I am biased having recently purchased the Yalta 555.

I came close to buying a plate boat but it was going to stretch me out another 5K or so B4 I added my preferred options such as 4 stroke instead of 2 stroke and colour depth sounder. Personally I didn't like the Formosa, they might be a good plate boat but simple things with the design wasn't my taste.

You need to take a run in a nice glass boat to compare Jake, otherwise there's lots of great help from all those on AF.

If you are on the south side, have a look at my new boat

Scalem

SunnyCoastMark
06-05-2009, 06:18 PM
Mate - if I had $50000 to spend on a boat - I would buy two!

You could find something pretty good in the 4.2m long range for around $10,000 - even less if you buy secondhand.

That leaves $40000 + for a good offshore boat - I agree with a couple of previous posters - the Formosa range is great.

Or you can get a Haines 530 breeze for $37000

Lewis 590 walkaround - $43000

Etc. Etc.

How often will you go offshore and how far out do you wish to go? ie do you want to spend $50 on fuel or $200 each trip?

Hope that helps

Mark

Mark

Dave71
06-05-2009, 08:26 PM
Mate I was going through the same thing a couple of weeks ago. I had a 435 side console that was great for the creeks but left me a bit wanting in the open waters. I ended up buying a Formosa 550 centre cab. I have been out to the islands around Mackay snuck up the Sarina inlet and spent the long week end at Kinchant dam towing tubes around and flicking lures, As brute said they offer 360 Deg fishing. I would trecommend them as a good family boat. There was 3 adaults and 2 kids fishing from it on the dam.8-)
Brute I will pm u the floor dimensions as discused.
Dave

fatovich
06-05-2009, 09:18 PM
Depending on where you are you could check out a Goodwin http://www.goodwinglass.com.au (http://www.goodwinglass.com.au/) they have a shallow draft, 360 degree fishing, with the option of putting a good casting deck on the bow. The 6850 which is 6.7m is also a good offshore platform. Brand new with a 135 Honda is pretty close to your budget. Just wish my budget would stretch that far.