PDA

View Full Version : removing leg

vk355a
05-05-2009, 06:42 PM
Hi guys, went to flush motor today and i have no water comming from tell tale (is that what you call it) any way i tried taking the bottom leg of, to get out the impeller. I've undone 5 large bolts around the prop area, there is now a half inch gap between the gear box & bottom of the leg, but cant remove the gear box all the way. There's one bolt i have missed i reckon. Just cant find it. Any idea which one ive missed.

Motor is 40 hp evinrude about 20 years old.

DAVE_S
05-05-2009, 06:53 PM
Have you disconnected the gear shift linkage ?

Roughasguts
05-05-2009, 07:52 PM
So you haven't got water coming out the tell tale. did you stick some fishing line or line trimmer line down there to see if the hole was blocked.
Could just have some mud clogging it up.

Sometimes you need to give a quick rev to around 2 K to get the water to pick up some pressure.

Now flushing is a strange thing in a tank water comes out the vent and also the tell tale. But on muffs it hardly comes out the exhaust vent at all.

Hope your not opening up the leg for nothing! when all is fine.

SunnyCoastMark
05-05-2009, 08:15 PM
So you haven't got water coming out the tell tale. did you stick some fishing line or line trimmer line down there to see if the hole was blocked.

Sometimes you need to give a quick rev to around 2 K to get the water to pick up some pressure.

Now flushing is a strange thing in a tank water comes out the vent and also the tell tale. But on muffs it hardly comes out the exhaust vent at all.

Ditto - Mud Potters wasps love tell tales. - Look there first

Mark

vk355a
05-05-2009, 10:55 PM
Have you disconnected the gear shift linkage ?
No i will look at that tomorrow.

Did find some dirt in the line & thought thats all it was. Cleaned it up with no luck.
Tried with muffs & i fulled an old esky with water.

Ditto - Mud Potters wasps love tell tales. - Look there first
Mark
I wish thats all it was.

Thanks guys. Ill see how go disconnecting the gear shift linkage.

BaitThrower
05-05-2009, 10:57 PM
most likely gear linkage still attached and holding the leg on.

welder
06-05-2009, 11:19 AM
Is there a nut or bolt under the trim tab [ the little fin above the prop ] and check linkage and speedo.

You might want to take a piece of heavy Mono line and insert it into the pee hole to check for foreign material with the water running .

Is the water coming out of the exhaust/prop when on the muffs?

finga
06-05-2009, 11:48 AM
Does it look like this?
This is an 88 40hp. Look for part number 40
http://www.crowleymarine.com/brp_parts/diagrams/36706.cfm
If so then there's a bolt on the shift link
In some of the earlier ones though they had a split block arrangement instead of the bolt. Look for part number 10 and 54
http://www.crowleymarine.com/brp_parts/diagrams/36083.cfm

The easiest way to decide if it has the split block or bolt is to see if it is a through prop exhaust or not.
If through prop exhaust then the first one.
You might have to try and change gears as well to be able to see the bolt.

vk355a
06-05-2009, 10:42 PM
Ok finally got it apart tonight. Yes there was one bolt underneath the motor, that has a rod that runs down to the box.
Now i have the impeller out but it looks alright to me. There are no cracks in the rubber impeller. What should i be looking for ??

finga looked at some pics of the motor at the crowley marine link you put up & its has the same parts as a 94 model

BaitThrower
06-05-2009, 10:49 PM
replace the impeller with a new one while you have the leg off. Look into the upper housing where the leg has come off... You should see a pipe. Hook a garden hose to this and turn on the hose... This should push water up around the engine block and out the tell tale... If not, you have a blockage in the upper cooling passages that needs to be fixed before you put the leg back on.

If water running freely, the problem is in the water pump or uptake... i.e. the pump housing may not have been properly engaged with the uptake tube.