PDA

View Full Version : outboard foils

Breambuster33
05-05-2009, 08:49 AM
hey guys,I own a merucry 35hp two stroke and just was unsure on how fouils would effect the speed and peformance on my boat (4 meter runabout).any information is appreciatedthanks

Lureaddict
05-05-2009, 11:50 AM
Hi Breambuster33,

I have a 40hp Evinrude with a 300sports foil fitted, on a Haines 400f hull. I find that the boat is easier/quicker to get up on the plane and maintain on the plane even at lower speed. It also helps with the aft wake if you need to stop quickly. Top end speed has increased if anything due to trimming the motor. Possibly the only downside it that the steering is a little heavier now than it was without.

dreemon
05-05-2009, 03:41 PM
Like lureaddict says, but they affect every boat a lill different, the 300 sports and the permatrim work the best,

I have the permatrim on a 40 2st and personally I like it heaps, outa the hole and low speed you'll get a big differance, on mine I didn't lose or gain top speed but find it helps mine not feel so loose at top speed,

you might need to change the height of the engine once fitted so that it's just out of the water not causing drag at higher speeds . cheers

RTFM1000
05-05-2009, 07:27 PM
Hi Breambuster32,
I have to ageree with dreemon. I have been selling both for many years & no negative reports on either...which is great.

Regards,
RTFM1000

stevej
05-05-2009, 07:35 PM
your cav plate should be on top of the water anyway at speed

any outboard ove owned has flogged pivot tubes from the extra presure i guess from the foil

any boat i have had with out foils the pivot tube has been fine

this is based on about 11 outboards over 12 years

black runner
05-05-2009, 08:42 PM
If it is an alloy boat would you need a foil with a 35hp on the back? I would have thought it would have adequate performance as it is. Do you have any specific issues atm?

Having said that, I fitted a foil to a 20hp merc on a 4metre runabout because it was underpowered. It enabled the boat to plane at lower speed and gave a greater degree of stability at all speeds. Nothing negative to report and they were only the cheaper 2 piece Laser foils.

Cheers

Breambuster33
05-05-2009, 08:46 PM
Nah shes a fiber mate..
the reason i was asking this question is because the foil was fitted when i purchased it..
not sure if it increased or decreased peformence so i was just curious.

thanks

Angla
05-05-2009, 10:56 PM
A mate has a 9.9 on a 3.7 metre tinny and without the foil it was a dog and would not plane much at all. With the foil made a huge difference and now planes to a top speed of 13 knotts and drives better at low speeds too.

Cheers
Chris

JT
06-05-2009, 01:00 PM
I put a 300 sports on my 400 Hornet Trophy with Merc 40HP lite and got much better hole shot and stiffer steering as mentioned above. Lost maybe 2 knots of top end speed, but that is not a worry.

Cheers

John