PDA

View Full Version : Powerwinch Advice needed

camboy
04-05-2009, 07:23 PM
Hello All,

I have just purchased a Powerwinch 712 and rather than powering it from the car, I plan to use a stand alone battery (total loss system) which can be used and charged separately.

Is my plan feasible, does anyone use a similar system, and if so, what sort of battery do you use.

Any advice would certainly be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Cam

tigermullet
04-05-2009, 09:09 PM
Don't know about the Powerwinch 712 but, years ago, I used a standard car battery to do just that. Never had a problem apart from making sure the battery was well wedged in to stop movement or tipping over in the boot. Wouldn't have helped in a roll over but they are pretty rare.

Chimo
04-05-2009, 09:43 PM
Probably depends on the load but they do work best, and I think the book says to leave the motor running (charging) when using.

Also slightly off the original ? I was told to by the guy who sold me the bits to fix mine, to start the unit running before engaging the clutch just a little more than needed, to get the winch working / hauling the boat. You can over tighten and stuff the thrust washers / bearings.

Cheers
Chimo

camboy
05-05-2009, 06:49 PM
Thank you both for your advice, much appreciated.

Regards,

Cam

ozbee
06-05-2009, 02:34 PM
run a couple of welding leads to a Anderson plug at rear cut the cable supplied short and put a plug in. a driver can run the engine to help boost load . thats how i pull up the 680 patriot with the exact same winch.we have shallow ramps here so they are winched in all the time.

camboy
07-05-2009, 12:04 PM
Thanks Ozbee,
I am thinking that a lead direct from the car might be the best idea after all, I was trying to avoid it, as the battery is under the seat in my car and it is quite expensive to install leads to the rear neatly.
Regards,
Camboy

Getout
07-05-2009, 03:37 PM
Go the andersen plugs at rear and have the engine running. Winch runs faster that way. It would be a bummer to flatten your battery with the boat half on the trailer!!

ozbee
07-05-2009, 05:10 PM
you can save costs by running the earth to chassy but understand do run another from battery to chassy even though it will work without it . the earth strap is to light these days so don't melt it and half the earth wires with it

camboy
07-05-2009, 07:02 PM
Getout, you are not kidding - it would be no fun at all

Thanks,
Camboy

camboy
07-05-2009, 07:03 PM
ozbee, You have convinced me, thanks.

Regards,
Camboy

groverwa
07-05-2009, 07:21 PM
Camboy

If running the positive from the battery make sure that you put an inline fuse as close to the battery as possible just in case the insulation ever wears through

Mike

ozscott
07-05-2009, 08:18 PM
On the Land Rover I run 2 12mm cables from the battery back to under the rear bumper bar to a large Anderson Plug. I then have the male of the Anderson attached to a 4WD winch (of the type used on Zukes etc) and I always leave the V8 idling when I pull up the Vagabond. I reckon the demand of that size winch at least would quickly flatten a stand alone and you just make sure that the power is pulled out when not being used (and pulled out when travelling) and I stick the remote control cable back into the rear of the truck. I have 30 feet of remote control cable so I can stand down the aft of the trailer (in fact some 9-10 feet beyond into the water if needs be on a very windy day) and load with no effort using the remote and just holding the boat against the wind and then letting the multi rollers do their thing.

Cheers