PDA

View Full Version : 15ft nautiglass half cab - How fast

DONTdoIT
04-05-2009, 05:55 PM
hay there i have a 15ft nautiglass half cab with a 70 Johnson on the back

i have done afair bit of work on it fixing it up and what not and finally got it out today ;D anyway the boat cruise speed was 35Km/h and tops out at around 52Km/h just wundering is this anygood for a small boat????? i thought it go alot faster than it does. i use to have a tinnie with 18hp and that thing felt so fast hehe maybe because i was so close to the water and being in 12ft boat didnt help hehe

was thinking getting another prob. use the one i got for towing the kids and get one for fishing so we get there faster without stressing the motor out to much....

Thanks for any tips and info you may provide

Laterz DONTdoIT

Angla
04-05-2009, 06:03 PM
That works out to be 28 knotts.

Does it have a fin on the motor? And what is the motor height like? Also do you know if you are getting to the rev limit at Wide Open Throttle.

Cheers
Chris

DONTdoIT
04-05-2009, 06:14 PM
yes it has a Fin and motor is spot on for hight it sits about 400mm all up in the water and i just checked and its getting full throttle..

Thanks DONTdoIT

Jeremy
04-05-2009, 07:51 PM
I have a 15' Haines V146c with a merc 60 and I get 31 knots. Surprised you aren't doing better than 28 knots with a 70. How old is the 70? Still plenty fast enough for a 15'er tho.
Jeremy

sharkymark2
04-05-2009, 08:24 PM
I've got my second Nautiglass half cabin replaced the 50hp with a 60 hp 4 stroke and get about your speed but not that it matters; weather is never that good that I can flog it and when the weather is good I just love to cruise it along and enjoy.

sleepygreg
04-05-2009, 09:45 PM
I would think 28 - 30 knots would be a realistic top speed for that hull in half cab config - wouldnt want to drive it any faster for safety reasons...especially with a fin on the motor. Great riding boat though in most sea conditions....love the flared bow for a dry ride.

Greg

DONTdoIT
05-05-2009, 12:18 AM
I have a 15' Haines V146c with a merc 60 and I get 31 knots. Surprised you aren't doing better than 28 knots with a 70. How old is the 70? Still plenty fast enough for a 15'er tho.
Jeremy

i got no idear of age it has to be orig motor from new so around 85
it starts very very very easy and looks like she hardly bean used :o

I've got my second Nautiglass half cabin replaced the 50hp with a 60 hp 4 stroke and get about your speed but not that it matters; weather is never that good that I can flog it and when the weather is good I just love to cruise it along and enjoy.

4 stroke use way less fuel aswell wouldnt it :)
any reason why you went for 60 and not the max the hull can handle??
and im def happy with the Nautiglass design i stay dry and so do the kids :D

I would think 28 - 30 knots would be a realistic top speed for that hull in half cab config - wouldnt want to drive it any faster for safety reasons...especially with a fin on the motor. Great riding boat though in most sea conditions....love the flared bow for a dry ride.

Greg

maybe im just exspecting to much from the old girl :(
should just be happy with it and hurry up and finish all the work on it hehe

sharkymark2
05-05-2009, 08:46 AM
My original Nautiglass had a 55hp Evinrude on it ....the one that all the wreckers call "the hand grenade" so after it blew up.....conrod through the block, I bought an old boat with a late model 90hp oil inj evinrude. The motor was to heavy for the boat. It was alwas stern heavy at rest with lots of water in the well. As for speed she was like a scalded cat but then with the weather we have been having ; who runs their boat flat strap? This boat I have is an 88 model and had a 50hp evinrude on it. It went very well plenty of power and hole shot torque. But I wanted to take missus out in it and wanted no problems. So bought the yamaha 60.....45 hours in 16 months .....stupid weather :).

sharkymark2
05-05-2009, 10:49 AM
Also I think that the maximum hp on the nautiglasses were 85hp.

DONTdoIT
05-05-2009, 12:31 PM
with the Tanks the motor use to be you think you could use a modern 100hp on these old boats there way smaller than what they use to be. but you might rip out the transom doing so hehe maybe a 80 merc might be the way to go if this jonhson dies on me