PDA

View Full Version : Rainbow Beach Charter Trip !

rakinray
04-05-2009, 11:13 AM
G/Day all here is a run down on our trip to Rainbow/Fraser. Picked up Brian(Webby) and Dan (Seamist) and crossed the Gateway around 3pm. Landed at Rainbow around 6pm to be greeted by Greg (Pinhead) and son Flea ! Steve (Ausfish owner) and wife Eileen (not sure on the spelling) and Mike (Auigusto). With a stiff s/easter blowing in the trees all hopes of a calm days fishing were fading fast. Arranged the club bus to drop us off for food and drinks and some gambling which was very nice way to spend a Sat evening, got home around the 10pm mark and started to talk fishing tactics for the next day. We were warned about Mikes Snoring able to take paint off the walls so i went to the room at the other end of the house with Webby and Dan (BIG MISTAKE !)::) Never heard a thing from Dan, but between Webbys Farting,Snoring, and walking around the house all night i think i got an hour of sleep before the alarms went off !>:( His new name is not Webby its CHAINSAW ! As for Mike i never heard a thing ! Hit the ramp at 5.30 with the S/E still blowing around 15 to 20 and the call was made that we would probably not go to wide due to the wind. :'( Heading thru the Wide Bay Bar we took a couple of Greenies over the whole boat which sent people ducking for cover :o. Got to the first spot about 10 to 12 Ks from the bar and realised Gregs son was missing :( That would be the last i would see of him untill we were heading home in the arvo ! (Hard luck Flea ) always next time. Eight crew now down to seven we started to get some mixed fish with Moses,Sweetlip,Snapper, and the odd small reef shark. As the fish went off the bite we would up and move to another spot wich seem to be constantly putting fish in the bins. We lost another of the crew to the dreaded SEA/SICKNESS with Steve turning that dead grey look before adding to the burley trail and then spending the rest of the day sleeping ! With only six crew left we all had to step up and get some fish, and with Mike getting his PB snapper and Eileen landing a cracker of a Snapper (6 to 7 kilo) things were slow but we were picking up enough to keep all happy ! As for Greg getting his first Legal Snapper ::) Hmmmm always next trip mate ! Webby scored a big cod soon after and i landed a few undersize reds :'( and we dropped some big fish thru-out the day. I was a little dissapointed that we couldnt get wide and chase some big reds but in saying that i really enjoyed the trip with some great company and enough fish for us all to boot !;D Must also say that the Skipper and deckie did a top job and i would recomend them to anyone thinking of doing a charter up that way. Just want to thank Greg and Webby for organising the trip and ill be keen for another one in the future. Im sure that the other guys will add to this post, with some stories to tell ;D

CHEERS RAY. Heres some pics of our trip and the lumpy conditions.

Angla
04-05-2009, 12:43 PM
sounds like it was a hard day fishing but maybe the others should have taken a harden up tablet. Good to see a bit of family deep sea action.

Where does the charter leave from and what is it called? I would suppose Tin can bay is the nearest port.

Cheers
Chris

Just looked at Google and spotted the Rainbow beach port area. Looks quiet.

skipalong
04-05-2009, 01:34 PM
some great fish there guys well done, nice assortment

justin

Sandman
04-05-2009, 01:58 PM
Good to hear you got out thought it must have been close, good too see you got the fish to. Who got the catch of the day?
Mick

Sandman
04-05-2009, 01:59 PM
Chris the Charter is called Baitrunner Top fellow give them a call.

PinHead
04-05-2009, 02:46 PM
a few pics..2 trips in one weekend and not a feed of fish..time to take up tiddly winks I think.

Cobia Kid
04-05-2009, 03:50 PM
FLEA! as in the red hot chili peppers flea.. thats pretty big!!
great trip, a shame those reds wernt a little bigger
cheers,
jamie

wags on the water
04-05-2009, 06:30 PM
Great effort to be able to catch a feed in those conditions.
Greg - you might have to start thinking positively. Will the fish to the boat.:D

Horse
04-05-2009, 07:08 PM
Its a bugger when the weather does not play the game but at least you got a few runs on the board:D
Webby should be known as the Cod Father as he seems to pull them all over the place;D

jtpython
04-05-2009, 07:13 PM
Awesome trip and you had a ball pics are great
JT

webby
04-05-2009, 07:21 PM
Thanks to Tony for inviting us up for another bash even though the weather turned to shit and we struggled through wild and lumpy conditions, with a few strong gusty squalls also crossing our path, but what can y ou do when your out their but hang on and fish.;D
Craig did a great job getting out their, with a few big greenie dousing the boat at times.
If you werent prone to sea sickness, the conditions certainly made those few that were on the loitering on the edge go over.:-X
Christ even i go a little weazy in the guts, but that was mainly due to the lack of sleep thanks to the derelicks in the room, but a good feed soon had the guts back on track.
Most of the fishing was confirned to in close in the 40-50m depths, as bashing our way out wide just wasnt worth it, plus there would have been a few more bodies curled up on the deck.
We still manage a good feed of fish though, and a good variety.
The snaps only came on the bite periodically, so you had to be quick to land one.
Even the secret berley worked, and it didnt come from someone guts ???
Had to take a female to show the boys off in landing the best snap.;D
The cod pushed the scales at around 14kg, so i was happy, and i got a bonus with a squire in its mouth;).
Plenty of food supplied from Tony's new bakery, but most werent game to try it till we hit smooth waters after coming back in.
Back up again in a couple of months to give it another try.
regards

Benno1
04-05-2009, 07:43 PM
i was wondering if that was a squire Webby...2 for 1 deal NICE!!!...good company( like a mini meet and greet ) and catching a good feed makes up for the not so great conditions i recon :D... thanks for the piccies and report :D

Mrs Benno1
Sunny

Searaider 2
04-05-2009, 08:26 PM
Geday Ray / Webby ,
Sounds like the conditions were pretty marginal , but you still managed some good fish .

Nice Cod Webby .

PinHead
06-05-2009, 05:51 AM
I am wondering if we can get some of that secret burley shipped down here???