PDA

View Full Version : Modifying to a tilt trailer

madman1
03-05-2009, 07:41 PM
Greetings,

I have a Quintrex trailer that is great for ramp launching but from where i launch (from a flat beach) is very similar to Shorncliffe. I need to launch on an icoming tide and retrieve on an outgoing tide as the tide up here are up to 6.5 metres.

The problem is my tinnie is a 5.2 Quinnie tinnie without a tilt.

How difficult is it to convert my non tilt trailer to a tilt trailer without spending a heap of $$$.

Any info greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Mark

finga
03-05-2009, 08:04 PM
I'd be checking up on legalities first matey.
I have a funny feeling tilters are not allowed anymore due to the injuries they inflicted when blokes let the tilt lever go and push the boat off and all of a sudden the bow of the boat is in the blokes jaw.
If you do the conversion and something happens then the insurance company would be first in line to up you.

Roughasguts
03-05-2009, 08:11 PM
How about you disconect the trailer from the car and use your jockey wheel to hold the trailer up.

Then as you push the boat off the trailer you have an instant tilt trailer at no extra cost.

Just make sure your leg on the motor is all the way up.

Chimo
03-05-2009, 08:25 PM
Hi Mark

I'd be fitting your spare wheel on a hub, mounting opposite your jockey wheel so the trailer rolls on the three wheels and pushing / rolling the whole rig ie trailer with boat into the drink to launch it. Drop your anchor and haul the trailer out with the ute with a long rope.

Used to just drive along the beach till the trailer was lined up behind the ute, back up and hitch it up.

When you come to reload same deal BUT if its rough / big chop then send trailer in front first and load the boat bow to waves. Leave the boat a couple of feet shy of the winch then haul out the same way, with the long rope.

Because the boat is shy of the winch its easy to lift onto the tow ball then wind it the rest of the way and off you go.

I think Finga et al are correct about it being illegal to modify trailers to tilt. Not sure if you can even buy new trailers with tilt, but maybe worth checking.

Personally I'd just drown the trailer as you don't have brakes to worry about with that sized boat and its much easier esp if you load bow into any rough stuff.

Cheers
Chimo

Spaniard_King
03-05-2009, 08:32 PM
I would be trying to change the setup of the boat/trailer ie drop the A$$ end of the boat and raise the front via the roller/ skid setup. If I had skids I would change them to rollers. I would also try to raise the towball height on the vehicle as much as possible.. all this with the thought of small things will add up in the end.

Roughasguts
03-05-2009, 09:04 PM
Has anyone made a turn table set up for the trailer for beach launching.
It be nice to have the Bow already pointing out into the waves on launch.

madman1
03-05-2009, 09:29 PM
Hi Mark

I'd be fitting your spare wheel on a hub, mounting opposite your jockey wheel so the trailer rolls on the three wheels and pushing / rolling the whole rig ie trailer with boat into the drink to launch it. Drop your anchor and haul the trailer out with the ute with a long rope.

Used to just drive along the beach till the trailer was lined up behind the ute, back up and hitch it up.

When you come to reload same deal BUT if its rough / big chop then send trailer in front first and load the boat bow to waves. Leave the boat a couple of feet shy of the winch then haul out the same way, with the long rope.

Because the boat is shy of the winch its easy to lift onto the tow ball then wind it the rest of the way and off you go.

I think Finga et al are correct about it being illegal to modify trailers to tilt. Not sure if you can even buy new trailers with tilt, but maybe worth checking.

Personally I'd just drown the trailer as you don't have brakes to worry about with that sized boat and its much easier esp if you load bow into any rough stuff.

Cheers
Chimo

Thanks all and Chimo;

But it is a bit concerving when a wave gets under the "underbelly" of a current Patrol.

You wind like hell to get the boat in to stop th salt invating the "wifes" car..

Maybe time for a normal ramp.

Cheers

Mark

dnej
04-05-2009, 09:06 AM
This may help.The extra locking post was my idea.
Chains stop the trailer from kicking up too high.One pic shows the connection to the main part of the trailer.A high tensile bolt. goes through the right angle bracket.
There is a safety chain there as well
David

dreemon
04-05-2009, 09:13 AM
would having a longer safty chain allow you to tilt maybe, and some cable from towball area to both outer sides of the rear axle of the trailer to keep the trailer close to the towball. ?

foxx510
04-05-2009, 09:25 AM
If you are having the problem of the rear of the trailer being too high for a dryish retrieve, maybe you could look at a mod along these lines

http://www.mackaytrailers.com/images/options/kr_guide-on.jpg

Sea-Dog
04-05-2009, 11:54 AM
My Redco trailer for my 4.85 M tinnie has a tilting rear cradle.

The cradle is 800mm long it has 5 keel rollers, 2 long skids running along the cradle and 4 short skids on pivots running east-west across the cradle.

The cradle with its rollers and skids support the boat all the way through the tilting until she slides into the water.

The boat slides a fair way back before it tilts, so there isn't much chance of collecting an anchor roller under the chin.

The last pic shows my method of preventing the turnbuckle tensioner for the safety chain working its way loose - a lightweight chain threaded through the turnbuckle.

Cheers, Ross

SunnyCoastMark
04-05-2009, 04:00 PM
Hey Sea Dog,
That is a very interesting set up. Is that a standard option or did you ask them to do it especially for you?

Whatever - well done!!:)

Mark

griz066
04-05-2009, 05:08 PM
Hey Sea Dog,
That is a very interesting set up. Is that a standard option or did you ask them to do it especially for you?

Whatever - well done!!:)

Mark

Standard
http://www.mayfairmarine2000.com/Redco1.htm

madman1
04-05-2009, 07:24 PM
My Redco trailer for my 4.85 M tinnie has a tilting rear cradle.

The cradle is 800mm long it has 5 keel rollers, 2 long skids running along the cradle and 4 short skids on pivots running east-west across the cradle.

The cradle with its rollers and skids support the boat all the way through the tilting until she slides into the water.

The boat slides a fair way back before it tilts, so there isn't much chance of collecting an anchor roller under the chin.

The last pic shows my method of preventing the turnbuckle tensioner for the safety chain working its way loose - a lightweight chain threaded through the turnbuckle.

Cheers, Ross

That looks the goods.

Any idea of what it may cost to modify my trialer.

Probably more economical to move to a better ramp!!!

Cheers

Mark