PDA

View Full Version : Boats on Moorings

Mrs Ronnie H
03-05-2009, 06:01 PM
Hi all
Can someone tell me the legalities of mooring your boat in the river.?
It seems there are more and more boats clogging up our river (Caboolture River) and seems too that they just hang out anywhere they want to. Including just off the boat ramp which really gives me the S%%%%s.

Don't the fisheries or whoever is respnosibly do some sort of check to see if you are moored legally and more to the point a suitable distance from a boat ramp or away from the main channel of passage.

Coming home from Bribie Sunday there was an idiot anchored in a biggggg boat just on the side of the channel-- couldn't give two hoots that he was blocking most of it. No courtesy to other boaties as far as i am concerned.
We are suppose to slow down for a moored vessell but why should we when they can't even anchor a safe distance out of the channel or away from the boat ramp.

Beachmere has a problem with some shallow water and just trying to navigate past all the boats moored in your way now is a nightmare. We don't even attempt to get to the private ramp anymore because of the amount of boats anchored in what is a very narrow channel at the best of times. I'm really over the fact that you play dodge the moored boat getting in and out of the boat ramp as well as not having a suitable place to pull in as there is a line up of yachties tenders on the beach.

Can someone tell me the best way to go about trying to solve this. Seems they all got thrown out of Cabbage tree and taken up residence at Beachmere.
We are thinking of starting a petition and sending it to DPI and fisheries.

Ronnie

tigermullet
04-05-2009, 01:25 PM
Are the boats moored or anchored? Or is it a combination?

There has been an increase of the number of boats riding at anchor at and near Jacobs Well. A few of them anchor in the designated mooring but most seem to be permanently anchored (not moored) on the other side of the channel.

I have heard that the increase has been caused by some boats being kicked off the Noosa river and a few spots on the Gold Coast but cannot vouch for the information.

If housing affordability doesn't improve soon, there might be yet another increase in numbers seeking a less expensive solution for their requirements for shelter.

I don't have a problem with the greater numbers - in my opinion it adds interest to the waterways but, of course, the increase in moored and anchored boats could make it difficult for boaties trying to navigate through and around them.

However, on balance, I would rather see toleration rather than heavy handed regulation forcing some people off the water and back into living in some drab and horrible suburb or, even, homelessness.

Just as an aside, I think that what we have seen so far in this economic downturn will look rather pleasant compared to what is coming. Boats do offer an attractive, alternate accommodation. I hope it doesn't come to that but am prepared to cheerfully share the waterways with increased numbers down on their luck and having to make unusual choices of lifestyle.

God! - with a statement like that, I really do feel like a Christian;D

PinHead
04-05-2009, 02:35 PM
contact MSQ with your concerns

hoodunnit
04-05-2009, 04:03 PM
The sooner they get the marina up and going and dredge a nice big channel down the middle of the Caboolture river the better.By the looks of some of the boats moored/abandoned in the river but I can,t see the owners coming up with the bucks for a berth.

Taroona
04-05-2009, 04:56 PM
Port of Brisbane controls all the mooring area's

garman1
05-05-2009, 07:32 AM
First time I have been in the caboolture river for ages and noticed the large amount of moored boats...everywhere (compared to what was there). Add a few crab pot bouys and wallaaa a perfect slalom course.......... then to finish it off, find your way through the shallow bend section of the river, get passed all that and you have won.

rando
05-05-2009, 09:47 AM
[quote=tigermullet;1011298]Are the boats moored or anchored? Or is it a combination?

That is the right question.!
If they are anchored, they have that right,, in compliance with the maritme regulations
Bear in mind if it is a big boat as you say he has to anchor in appropiately deep water and may not be able to get too far out of the channel

If they are moored, they have to be on a registered mooring and the location of those is controlled

finga
05-05-2009, 10:20 AM
[quote=tigermullet;1011298]Are the boats moored or anchored? Or is it a combination?

That is the right question.!
If they are anchored, they have that right,, in compliance with the maritme regulations
Bear in mind if it is a big boat as you say he has to anchor in appropiately deep water and may not be able to get too far out of the channel

If they are moored, they have to be on a registered mooring and the location of those is controlled
So what is the difference between anchored for a really long time and moored if the mooring point is your anchor?

tigermullet
05-05-2009, 01:49 PM
Anchored is, of course, anchored but moored means that the boat is attached to a mooring. Generally, that's a permanent mooring in a designated mooring area.

The mooring is usually a large concrete or steel block with a float and boat lines attached via chain or rope/chain apparatus.

A mooring authority is granted by MSQ either for private or commercial use and is re-issued each year on the payment of a mooring fee.

In some areas the regulations give maximum periods of time for boat to be anchored. In the Gold Coast area it is 14 days before having to move 3 kilometres to another spot. Further restrictions can and do apply to specific areas on the Gold Coast - I think there is an area near the Spit that can be used for anchoring for one night only. I don't go there so am not familiar with the procedures.

The waiting time for moorings in designated mooring areas is growing all the time and more and more people are taking to anchoring for extended periods at Jacobs Well outside the designated mooring area.

Some of those boats cause a bit of a scatter when wild weather comes along but, then, so do some of the moored boats if the owners don't carry out maintenance of their mooring chains.

There is another requirement in some (maybe all) designated mooring areas that the boat not be used as a live-aboard but I don't know much about that part because it doesn't apply to us. We get on board and leave almost immediately i.e., our mooring is just somewhere to tie up the boat when it's not in use.

What others do with their moorings is none of my business. Choosing to live aboard or not is ok with me. However, I am a true Christian and obey all regulations and laws. We even have an onboard sewage treatment system.

Strike that Christian bit - I'm a saint.;D

Razgo-
05-05-2009, 08:20 PM
I am on a swing mooring. MSQ just don't have the resources to actually do anything. They did an Audit last December and sent out hundreds of letters to registered mooring owners that they felt the mooring was not at the correct GPS mark.

Some of them may have moved over time but some they just didn't factor in the size of the vessel that may be over 10m long so they say their vessel is 10-14m off the mark. forgetting that the swing alone will be a few meters to as you cant tie to a mooring that simply goes straight down as i think it would cause problems for your boat.

With my recent saga where an unregistered mooring was the reason i have a hole n my boat makes you wonder who's in control. MSQ new the unregistered mooring was 14m from my mark but did nothing. why did they just cut it loose?

Now factor in my vessel is 10m plus allow for a 2-3m swing and well DUH! MSQ thought 14m was far enough away! the bloody thing was wrapped around my rudder & prop!

So good luck with port of Brisbane or MSQ to sort out mooring or anchoring problems :) They simply have no resources.

iceknight
06-05-2009, 12:15 AM
Hows about the fool who owns playmate 2 thats moored of scarby ramp at the minute just beside/in the channel...

Moored with no lights i should add!!!...... someone needs to light it up... either with lights.. or a lighter!!!!

Mrs Ronnie H
06-05-2009, 05:18 PM
Hi all
Thanks for the input here.
To answer some of the questions ---- Some of the boats are moored on proper Moorings but whether or not they are registered is another story. The ones that aren't are at anchor of course.
I understand as someone has said that yes people are finding it hard to rent places and perhaps that is why there is an increasing amount of boats permanently on the water but does it give them or anyone else to just plonk it anywhere.

I know this would fall on deaf ears if i were to ring the MSQ or POB but something has to be done. i do believe quite strongly this is becoming a safety issue with the amount of boats in the river and especially scattered around the ramp like they are. Try navigating through them to get from public ramp to private one-- Good luck is all i can say.

We had no option but to run over a mooring last weekend and I can tell you I was not too pleased. No damage to report but that is not the point. I should be able to safely drive my boat in the channel and not have to worry about bloody mooroings and yuppy yachties getting in my way. Quite frankly I am really sick of playiong dodge in the river.

As for the Marina in my opinion it will create more havoc and like you said-- who is there that is going to afford to pay for a berth anyway-- there won't be too many.
I will stay away from my thoughts on a Marina and dredging the river.

We are still thinking a petition -- to Caryn Sullivan, MSQ and POB ---maybe we can at least get someone to look at the situation and hear what we have to say.

Thanks all for your thoughts and input.

Ronnie

tigermullet
06-05-2009, 06:37 PM
Nobody has the right to plonk a mooring just anywhere. Even within designated mooring areas the position is supposed to be accurate down to a few metres.

It is easy to tell an approved mooring because most mooring authority holders attach the buoy provided by MSQ (they cost about $200) but, even if a different buoy is chosen, they should be inscribed with the mooring number.

Perhaps a few photographs and a letter to MSQ might get some attention for you?

MSQ are very approachable and if a complaint is put in writing they usually do attend to the matter, especially if safety concerns are raised. We have submitted only one complaint in writing but MSQ responded quickly and things were put right.

I hope you get some satisfaction and wish you the best of luck. Nor do I take offense to remarks about yuppy boat owners because I don't fall into that class (even though I own a boat on a mooring) and, on top of that, I refer you to my previous post where my 'saintly' quality is emphasized.;D

marty+jojo
06-05-2009, 06:49 PM
Anyone been up Bulimba creek lately? It takes forever doing 6 knots or no wash past all the moored / anchored boats, and half of them are piles of crap that are falling apart. Gives me the sh%ts.
Marty.

Razgo-
06-05-2009, 06:53 PM
It's not that it will fall on deaf ears as they do listen. In my case they said it would be 3 months before they could get out to coochie to cut the unregistered mooring away. I was given advice on how to make the problem go away sooner rather than later so i am happy to say my problem was resolved and the unregistered mooring is no longer an issue as it appears that it is now no longer there :)

tigermullet
06-05-2009, 07:20 PM
That's good news Razgo! Congratulations.

MSQ are often up Jacobs Well way so our problem was attended to very quickly. The mooring was moved by a barge equipped with a crane.

That barge seems to be always doing the rounds and straightening up or replacing vanes on navigation poles (recovering from brutal dental surgery and can't think of the correct name- novocaine is almost as good as beer for confusing the mind) so we have something to thank our tourist operated houseboats for - they are forever crashing into them.

I recognize the boat that caused your damage. I'll give it a wide berth next time I see it.

Razgo-
06-05-2009, 07:42 PM
That must be the gold coast MSQ? I was told the Brisbane/Pinkanbah branch only go as far south as redland bay from memory.

tigermullet
06-05-2009, 08:36 PM
That's correct. They are based on the Spit at Main Beach and cover the Gold Coast up to ???? but including Jacobs Well at least