PDA

View Full Version : Another Barra Theory

Magella
03-05-2009, 09:57 AM
Another Theory to Ponder?
A few barra anglers were at the shop the other afternoon practicing on their stance and doing their mind focusing exercises [all you could here were gentle whispers like “retrieve slow, slowly, slower” and “here fishy, fishy, fishy”] when all of a sudden one of them yells “Lake Eyre!” “It’s F%#@&N Lake Eyre!!!”
Of course this gets our attention and we put down our stubbies and say ‘”What?”
“F$#%*n Lake Eyre that’s why we are not catching as many Barra in our lakes this year”
“What??????”
“Think about it’ he say,” How many pelicans and shags do you usually see on the lakes, Bloody Thousands, “
“How many have you seen lately? NONE”
They have all headed out to Lake Eyre and the inland waters to have a feed and get a bit.
Yes soooo?
Maybe we need the birds here to control the amount of bait in the lakes so it is not as easy for the barra to feed so they have to be more active and will strike our lures more?
“Yea, you could be right now sit down concentrate on your stance and pass us another Beer”
Since this in depth and intelligent conversation took place I’ve have talked to a lot of anglers you fish a lot of different impoundments and they all say they don’t see many birds at the moment.
Even in the saltwater the rivers that are usually full of pelicans there are none there at the moment and the rivers around here are just full of bait.
Just another theory but has anyone else noticed the lack of Birdlife around there local water hole?;D
Cheers Foxie

darylive
03-05-2009, 10:03 AM
yes! your right, even over here on the beaches :-/

and the few that are there are all covered up :(

Steve B
03-05-2009, 08:34 PM
Foxie, Have you been drinking again????;);D

Concentrate on your stance.....dont blame the birds!!! ;D;D

good theory mate. Good luck with the operation on ya snout this week!!

Steve

Dick Pasfield
03-05-2009, 08:53 PM
...........or has the climate that's filled Lake Ayre and brought the centre alive been able to conjure similar signs of the extra ordinary right across the country. Great conditions for breeding and plenty of newly spawned predators and prey in the monsoon north. Other effects elsewhere, some good, others bad.

The birds and the barras are just the tell tails???

setthehook
03-05-2009, 09:28 PM
1st thing i noticed when i returned after 2 years in NSW was where the hell are all the birds gone???

slyman
03-05-2009, 10:01 PM
Just another theory but has anyone else noticed the lack of Birdlife around there local water hole?;D
Cheers Foxie

This could be taken 2 ways:

1) On my recent trip to Monduran the presence of birdlife was very noticably absent.

2) In todays social climate, I cant afford to go out drinking at my local water hole due to the increase in bar prices, not to mention the damn taxi fare home, so therefore I am unable to comment on the presence, or lack thereof, Birdlife at my local. ::) ;D

2manylures
03-05-2009, 11:50 PM
Another Theory to Ponder?

Maybe we need the birds here to control the amount of bait in the lakes so it is not as easy for the barra to feed so they have to be more active and will strike our lures more?
“Yea, you could be right now sit down concentrate on your stance and pass us another Beer”
Since this in depth and intelligent conversation took place I’ve have talked to a lot of anglers you fish a lot of different impoundments and they all say they don’t see many birds at the moment.
Even in the saltwater the rivers that are usually full of pelicans there are none there at the moment and the rivers around here are just full of bait.
Cheers Foxie

Foxie, perhaps you Barra blokes need to catch more fish to control the bait to Keep the birds there;D

setthehook
04-05-2009, 03:46 AM
haha!! thats probable!

Whitto
04-05-2009, 06:48 AM
Foxie, Have you been drinking again????;);D

Concentrate on your stance.....dont blame the birds!!! ;D;D

good theory mate. Good luck with the operation on ya snout this week!!

Steve I've clearly have to concentrated on my stance Steve.....Noticable after several Beverages....whats that all about...as a young bloke I used to just fall over;)::)

Whitto
04-05-2009, 06:53 AM
Foxie, perhaps you Barra blokes need to catch more fish to control the bait to Keep the birds there;D Making a rash statement like that 2manylures......maybe you need to come up to Monduran and show us what you think we're doing wrong

nipsta
04-05-2009, 08:18 AM
Making a rash statement like that 2manylures......maybe you need to come up to Monduran and show us what you think we're doing wrong

i agree whitto he still hasnt posted whether he even caught fish at his trip to prove he can catch one and if hes theroys even worked since 2 manny is such a knowlodgable fella proof is in the pudding 2manny so time to put up r shut up septemeber would be a good time for you to come up im sure there is a few of us that would lov to talk to ya and then we can see if you can show us what its all abotu we are all good learners

NAGG
04-05-2009, 08:51 AM
i agree whitto he still hasnt posted whether he even caught fish at his trip to prove he can catch one and if hes theroys even worked since 2 manny is such a knowlodgable fella proof is in the pudding 2manny so time to put up r shut up septemeber would be a good time for you to come up im sure there is a few of us that would lov to talk to ya and then we can see if you can show us what its all abotu we are all good learners

I'm not too sure how well switch baiting would go on barra ::)

Chris

2manylures
04-05-2009, 09:25 AM

Tongue in cheek boys, tongue in cheek. Good learners would have picked that up.;D

September's out, making the trip to fish northern NSW Bass dams with some locals but you're more than welcome to come down.

On the put up or shut up side, I've never been one to brag about what I've caught, those who fish with me know & more importantly I know. Justifying one's self to the rest of the world {via internet} really does lean towards megalamania in my opinion.

On a lighter note happy chappies, I fish at least 4 days a week every week, how often do you boys get out?

Awoonga
04-05-2009, 10:15 AM
Tongue in cheek boys, tongue in cheek. Good learners would have picked that up.;D

September's out, making the trip to fish northern NSW Bass dams with some locals but you're more than welcome to come down.

On the put up or shut up side, I've never been one to brag about what I've caught, those who fish with me know & more importantly I know. Justifying one's self to the rest of the world {via internet} really does lean towards megalamania in my opinion.

On a lighter note happy chappies, I fish at least 4 days a week every week, how often do you boys get out? umm lets see....every day...... always fishing for something..

nipsta
04-05-2009, 10:43 AM

On a lighter note happy chappies, I fish at least 4 days a week every week, how often do you boys get out?

obivously luck is on your side if you can go out that much if i went that much i would be divorced i gather your a single man or its ya job

nipsta
04-05-2009, 10:45 AM
umm lets see....every day...... always fishing for something..

hey trev sorry i did not get to davos for the talk but im sure i can catch up with ya again soon at awoonga too would be good how is ya prop all good now i gather

NAGG
04-05-2009, 11:16 AM

Always fishing for something - if not on the water , Its trying to learn a little more - planning to get out a bit more though.

The trouble is as I see it 2 many ........ you've talked the talk (via the Internet) - & curiosity has got the better of us. .... Now we would like to see how much cred you really deserve ....... You know for our own personal interest :P That way you should have no notion of any megalomania on your behalf.

Cheers

chris

darylive
04-05-2009, 11:17 AM

COME ON NOW YOU BOYS PLAY NICE! :)

megalamania ? been reading the scrable dictionary? I like it!
Hey foxie, got any of those gold megalamanias in stock? ::)
What the megalamania are you thinkin? >:(

Check out the megalamanias on that Woo Hoo
::) :o ;D :P

When and where in September? Glen Lyons? :P See you at Somerset in July 8-)

nipsta
04-05-2009, 11:30 AM
we play nice darryl port and stone makes all things nice and warm and fuzzy :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

darylive
04-05-2009, 11:34 AM
hey trev sorry i did not get to davos for the talk but im sure i can catch up with ya again soon at awoonga too would be good how is ya prop all good now i gather

Trev could it be saved? Or was it a write off? :-/

tunaticer
04-05-2009, 11:46 AM
Maybe this theory is being placed whilst observing from the wrong perspective?

The way I see the birdlife phenonemon that exists currently, they are off for a feed to breed and get fat whilst the bacon is hot so to speak. On the other hand the barras are feeding up like crazy with the surplus of bait the birdlife are not eating and growing to massive proportions. In the next two years or so I predict there will be a number of 1.5m captures to be had, seeing to get a metery about a year ago was something special. It is almost expected currently and 1.2m fish seem to be abundant.

So in short I think this cycle is being played out accross the board and both wild and impoundment fish are having a feast and growing faster than normal.

Seems to me that the tailor sizes this year are about 1/4 larger than this time last year as well. Could it be the lack of birdlife?

Another angle is maybe the barras are more comfortable eating copious amounts of food because they are not breathing is mega tons of birdshit that gets deposited in the water all day every day when they are around. I know it would put me off my tucker.

Awoonga
04-05-2009, 12:05 PM
Trev could it be saved? Or was it a write off? :-/ Bloke ...still to send it away ..I have been using my spare. I loose about 10ks a hour. I fished Caina dam on the weekend and its only small so it wasnt needed

2manylures
04-05-2009, 12:54 PM
[quote]

Always fishing for something - if not on the water , Its trying to learn a little more - planning to get out a bit more though.

The trouble is as I see it 2 many ........ you've talked the talk (via the Internet) - & curiosity has got the better of us. .... Now we would like to see how much cred you really deserve ....... You know for our own personal interest :P That way you should have no notion of any megalomania on your behalf.

Cheers

chrisUnfortunately your curiosity is your problem;D :D Feel free to come to Glenbawn 16th-22nd Sep. I have nothing to hide just don't feel the need to sprout my life all over the internet:-X

Tropicaltrout
04-05-2009, 04:30 PM
Interesting stuff on the birds saw a tree or 2 full of them early saturday morning, but yeah no where near the amount as there used to be maybe there approach is stealth like ours?????

Its good to see your back for another bounce along 2many maybe you would like to join us at sommerset in june, bit closer for you? Anyhow those barra are tough as you saw I guess.....

As for meeting you curiosity wise, could not give a toss as I am sure the feeling is mutual;) , and putting your life on the net no thanks, just a report would be fine, its ausfish after all not oprah.....

NAGG
04-05-2009, 05:01 PM
[quote=NAGG;1011225]Unfortunately your curiosity is your problem;D :D Feel free to come to Glenbawn 16th-22nd Sep. I have nothing to hide just don't feel the need to sprout my life all over the internet:-X

No need for a life story 2 many ...... just the odd snippet of a report & maybe a few pics - always good to see how the other megalomaniacs are going ;D

Cheers

Chris

PS ..... Cant make Glenbawn mate - there is a little gathering called the Mondy Muster at that time :P

darylive
04-05-2009, 06:28 PM
Bloke ...still to send it away ..I have been using my spare. I loose about 10ks a hour. I fished Caina dam on the weekend and its only small so it wasnt needed

Not cheap either way :-/

So how was Caina any Birds?

There were bugger all at Somerset but maybe the 200,000 people there had something to do with that. Even on the way back the smaller dams off the road had very few birds although there were a few pelicans on one. There were plenty of bloody pelicans on the bloody road in cars!

Hey here is an interesting thing turns out Meglamania is:
'A form of mental alienation in which the patient has grandiose delusions. ..'

I wasn't even close. Well don't i feel like a meglingmaniac :(
I still think it sounds like a great lure 8-) and describes way too many of them.

Awoonga
04-05-2009, 07:12 PM
Not cheap either way :-/

So how was Caina any Birds?

There were bugger all at Somerset but maybe the 200,000 people there had something to do with that. Even on the way back the smaller dams off the road had very few birds although there were a few pelicans on one. There were plenty of bloody pelicans on the bloody road in cars!

I wasn't even close. Well don't i feel like a meglingmaniac :(
I still think it sounds like a great lure 8-) and describes way too many of them.
Caina ...Birds ? only the odd shag...The fish are skinny with sores.. it needs rain and heaps of it

Steve B
04-05-2009, 07:45 PM
Maybe this theory is being placed whilst observing from the wrong perspective?

The way I see the birdlife phenonemon that exists currently, they are off for a feed to breed and get fat whilst the bacon is hot so to speak. On the other hand the barras are feeding up like crazy with the surplus of bait the birdlife are not eating and growing to massive proportions. In the next two years or so I predict there will be a number of 1.5m captures to be had, seeing to get a metery about a year ago was something special. It is almost expected currently and 1.2m fish seem to be abundant.

So in short I think this cycle is being played out accross the board and both wild and impoundment fish are having a feast and growing faster than normal.

Seems to me that the tailor sizes this year are about 1/4 larger than this time last year as well. Could it be the lack of birdlife?

Another angle is maybe the barras are more comfortable eating copious amounts of food because they are not breathing is mega tons of birdshit that gets deposited in the water all day every day when they are around. I know it would put me off my tucker.

Thank Jack. very well written and a fairly accurate theory too in my eyes. I also noticed when the birdlife was abundant, certain birds (cant tell which ones other than ducks) would tear away at the weed, and there was heaps of floating weed everywhere causing dirty water, along with dirty water and shag s$#t everywhere.. Now I was up there today, and found the water the best quality I have seen in ages. Lack of bait activity was distinct, but fish activity went beserk for 1/2 hour at about 1pm when the sun shone for a brief period. Managed to land 1 out of 3 fish. All interesting stuff.

CHeers Steve.

darylive
04-05-2009, 07:57 PM
So the Water is cleaning up Steve? Have had any rain?

Steve B
04-05-2009, 08:11 PM
I aint no biologist Daryl as you know, but I reckon the water has a disinct green tinge to it.....my info from previous years in my little black book suggested this was good fishing water then. It sort of changed colour over night pretty much last week. I have heard a reasonable amount of fish getting caught...Naths report also indicates that too..

cheers Steve

NAGG
04-05-2009, 08:18 PM

You called Daryl ;D

Chris

NAGG
04-05-2009, 08:23 PM
I aint no biologist Daryl as you know, but I reckon the water has a disinct green tinge to it.....my info from previous years in my little black book suggested this was good fishing water then. It sort of changed colour over night pretty much last week. I have heard a reasonable amount of fish getting caught...Naths report also indicates that too..

cheers Steve

Could it be those drops in temps - lead to a kill off of the algal blooms ...... The water looked like crap when we were there ( 28 Deg) ..... 3 weeks later Nath notices a 4-5 deg drop ........ & scores

Chris

nipsta
04-05-2009, 08:26 PM
um yeah that culd be a factor for sure the birds are part of the food chain so i guess if there not liking what s there eating they may hae moved on to find better fquailty food soucre which mean that the supply is down or the source is lost its quailty so yeah culd be a bug or something turning them all off a bit not that i know to much just a thought

nipsta
04-05-2009, 08:28 PM
Could it be those drops in temps - lead to a kill off of the algal blooms ...... The water looked like crap when we were there ( 28 Deg) ..... 3 weeks later Nath notices a 4-5 deg drop ........ & scores

Chris
yes if you look at paul dolans site the colour of the water there horrid but now maybe things are cleaning up finally might be a sign of things to come

Tropicaltrout
04-05-2009, 08:34 PM
water in the 2 mile was a good 20% clearer then last time I was there I could see my lure a good 3 feet down

Peter4
05-05-2009, 08:22 AM
How is it that a theory posted about Monduran turns into a verbal stoush between 2manylures and the rest of Ausfish?....

Anyhoo, I mentioned the lack of birdlife to BR65 back in mid-February so it has been awhile since the buggers scarpered. Has that had any impact on the water quality or the fishing? Who knows, but I did think the water quality was excellent in mid-Feb and OK in April. We managed barra on both trips, though not in great numbers......

We did notice less bait activity on both trips compared to December when the birds were there. Maybe there is less bait and therefore less birds.....I do think the birds have taken advantage of the interior wet and I'm sure they will be back, probably after breeding...

More food for thought.....

darylive
05-05-2009, 09:07 AM
Maybe the water is clearing up because all the birds are now s#iting elsewhere ::)

darylive
05-05-2009, 09:11 AM
'Megalomania'

You called Daryl ;D

Chris

You said it!

I am thinking you now have a name for your boat 8-)

Thanks toomany

nipsta
05-05-2009, 09:17 AM
How is it that a theory posted about Monduran turns into a verbal stoush between 2manylures and the rest of Ausfish?....

Anyhoo, I mentioned the lack of birdlife to BR65 back in mid-February so it has been awhile since the buggers scarpered. Has that had any impact on the water quality or the fishing? Who knows, but I did think the water quality was excellent in mid-Feb and OK in April. We managed barra on both trips, though not in great numbers......

We did notice less bait activity on both trips compared to December when the birds were there. Maybe there is less bait and therefore less birds.....I do think the birds have taken advantage of the interior wet and I'm sure they will be back, probably after breeding...

all good pete bit of stirring dont hurt nothing personal towards 2manny just abit of internet fun
on the other hand the birds arent silly either when it gets cold they go for warm climate if that is the type of birds they are or more stable weather so all good i reckon they will return

darylive
05-05-2009, 09:27 AM
[quote=nipsta;1011812
"the birds arent silly either when it gets cold they go for warm climate if that is the type of birds they are or more stable weather so all good i reckon they will return"

Well that seems to over simplify a thread that looked like going no where then gained momentum as the piscatorial megalomaniacs voiced various Theseus and theories.

Of course the bloody birds will come back. Then we can ponder why and will have to come up with another reason for catching bugger all Barra. ;)

I still think it is a good thing they are not defecating in the water turning it gungy green. :(

Anyway Nip why aren't you at work?

Foxie! where did you go? Don't forget my order before you go in for your face lift tomorrow. Good luck with that, but really how much damage could they do to a head like that? Surely it can only be an improvement. :P

You know when John Fox was a younger man he got to Monduran and asked for directions. Some one said just follow your nose.
That's why he has been there ever since, just going around and around. ;D

nipsta
05-05-2009, 09:42 AM
cant half tell i thought iti out darryl why are you out in ya boat the lightest the winds have been since last week and we are typing on a puter damm we must be bored i was suppose to go for another session today but didnt get the calll last night so i assumed it was canecel anyway may go later see how i feel

darylive
05-05-2009, 09:51 AM
First real day of leave and having a real easy one. Trying to get motivated to sort camping gear boat etc.

But got caught on here which is not hard to do. Might have a cup of tea and a nap shortly. Can't rush into these things. Besides you know as well as I do if I venture out the weather will turn.

NAGG
05-05-2009, 10:27 AM

I think the pelicans are off shagging with all that water at Lake Eyre.
Does that mean the the shags are off pelicaning :-/

Chris

Whitto
06-05-2009, 06:26 AM
I think your onto something there Chris;D....Im sure it's a fornacation thing....but why have those ground running noisy feathered bloody things at the Camp Site stuck around>:(

Tropicaltrout
06-05-2009, 07:16 AM
Anyone think with the thousands of boats zooming around over the last few years has simply pis #$ed them off so they headed off looking for greener pastures?,

As for the bait there is plenty IMHO heading around the dam there was concertrations of it but gar was in the 2 mile and with the amount of weed growth throught out the dam the small bait most probably hold up in it and feed there aswell I would with 3 foot of barra swimming around.....

NAGG
06-05-2009, 07:30 AM
Anyone think with the thousands of boats zooming around over the last few years has simply pis #$ed them off so they headed off looking for greener pastures?,

As for the bait there is plenty IMHO heading around the dam there was concertrations of it but gar was in the 2 mile and with the amount of weed growth throught out the dam the small bait most probably hold up in it and feed there aswell I would with 3 foot of barra swimming around.....

I agree Nath ( on the bait) - there are plenty of gar & boney ...... all you have to do is push into the weed & see what comes out........ Also have a look at the condition of the barra :P at worst big & fat - generally magnificent.
The birds will be back ........ though there still seemed to be quite a few there but not in the usual places.

Chris

nipsta
06-05-2009, 08:58 AM
yeah if anyone can a peli can

darylive
06-05-2009, 12:54 PM
Speakin of Pelicans; Foxie is going in, today I think, to get his beak straightened.

Good luck mate. I am assurred it is very painful and very uncomfortable for weeks after.

Magella
06-05-2009, 03:59 PM
peak all straightened and bloody sore

foxie

nipsta
06-05-2009, 04:41 PM
good to here foxie breath easy now

Obi _ Wan
06-05-2009, 04:54 PM
Good stuff Foxie,

Got a couple of black eyes have we??

Don't go walking into any doors tonight mate, it will hurt.

Mate every time Lake Eyre fills up all the birds shoot through to breed and feed on the abundant killi fish.

Last time it happened the lake dried up a bit quick for the birds and many young birds perished as they could not fly and there was no more food for them.

We saw pelicans up the end of "B" when i was up there 17, 18 & 19 of April, not many but a few along with stacks of bait.

Cheers and good luck with the beak,

John.

darylive
06-05-2009, 06:00 PM
peak all straightened and bloody sore

foxie

So just in and out mate?

You didn't get to try your 'Gulp' boxers on the Nurses? ::)

The head nurse would have liked them. :P

NAGG
06-05-2009, 06:09 PM
good to here foxie breath easy now

Not a time to get the pig flu :uhoh:

nipsta
06-05-2009, 06:13 PM
Not a time to get the pig flu :uhoh:

not wrong i got the damm flu myslef and it is giving me the shits hopefully the thing is starting to go by tomorrow after a good night sleep maybe :-[

Big_Ren
06-05-2009, 08:07 PM
Glad to see all's well Foxie....so did they lengthen it for you as well mate?....your snout that is.

nipsta
06-05-2009, 08:20 PM
as i said if anyone can a foxie can i mean a pelican hopes its not hurting to much foxie they dont sound fun those ops

Whitto
07-05-2009, 03:35 PM
Glad to see all's well Foxie....so did they lengthen it for you as well mate?....your snout that is. Paul I have it on good authority that Foxie was know as Tri-Pod at school.....but it could be a vicious rumor.....Keep sniffing out the good oil on Mondy and your nose to the grind stone John.....see you soon Mate.......Several Beverages and the odd Panadol will take care of the discomfort;D

Magella
07-05-2009, 05:36 PM
Thanks for all the coments keeps me smilling, should be back at Jackies Havoc by Saturday
::) Why is there no smileys with noses?
Cheers Foxie

Big_Ren
07-05-2009, 08:41 PM
Good one Whitto......I'm John the Peg deedleedle Um, with me extra leg deedleedle um.....;)

Foxie...you need to change your avatar to a profile shot to show off your new piece of art...welcome back mate.

Cheers
Paul