PDA

View Full Version : stupid stupid stupid!!!!! hole in hull

geoffrod
02-05-2009, 05:12 PM
Ok i have just now stopped hitting myself in the forhead with my open hand (saying doh, doh,doh)
i need some advise real quick, i have inadvertantly drilled a 3mm diameter hole straight thru my hull, i thought it was a section of floor that was seperate from the hull, but not so lucky. all for a stupid press stud for the new carpet.

do i just make some filler with chopped mat and resin and hardener, and fill the hole???, or is it ot such aneasy fix???

really apreciate any help you guys can throw my way.

cheers
geoff

Chimo
02-05-2009, 05:22 PM
Hi Geoff

Shouldnt be too hard to fix, its only fibreglass. And its only 3mm

Hole starts ? and where does the hole come out ?

Doubt you would need to worry about csm tho.

By the way it could be a lot worse, still I guess this is another reason some people love cats, even if you stuff one hull there is a spare;)

Cheers
Chimo

groverwa
02-05-2009, 05:52 PM
Chimo - gotta love the name of the boat in your pic

Mike

geoffrod
02-05-2009, 05:57 PM
hey chimo,
thanks for the quick reply
i will attempt to attach some pics

Grand_Marlin
02-05-2009, 06:14 PM
G'day Geoff,

That is an easy fix with gelcoat - you can sleep tonight ;D

Countersink both sides with a 6mm drill and fill.

Don't worry, you're not alone ... I did the same to a brand new 35ft Caribbean :-X

Cheers

Pete

Kero
02-05-2009, 06:51 PM
Don't stress mate! That's a very simple fix! If it makes you feel any better, I did it with my first boat (felt like a real DH).8-)

Chimo
02-05-2009, 06:54 PM
Reminds me of the old Leyland P76. (The V8s were good) :P

I'd like a $1 for every tyre with a drilled hole in it from when the mechanics were fitting rear mud flaps:-[

Chimo

seren-y-mor
02-05-2009, 08:25 PM
Mate that can be an easy fix, counter sink it like grandmarlin says as it will give you a good base to work with, but then i would use a resin with small bits of chopped strand mixed into it, build it back out in layers, just rough it up a bit before you add the next mix thats all. Build it out so its proud then sand it back down, that way you can get a nice finish and if you do get an air pocket you can work some more into it to eliminate it..

Thats the way i was shown and have done many that way.

your definatly not the first, one day at the yard a guy hammerd 3 six inch nails through his hull trying build a timber bench seat, made a nice coat hanger till i fixed it lol..

Regards Jason

geoffrod
03-05-2009, 07:34 AM
thanks heaps guys,
i really appreciate all the healpful sugestions
cheers
geoff

Angla
03-05-2009, 08:49 AM
Did the same with my new Cruisecraft, fixing in the new bilge pump. Just Like Grandmarlin says, counter sink a little and use Gelcoat then sanded back so no one can see and then fixed a base plate in with Gelcoat mix and it has never moved.

Cheers
Chris

geoffrod
03-05-2009, 10:22 AM
while i am doing this work i was thinking i could maybe fix another little problem i have on the front on the keel

could i just fill this with gelcoat as well?

thanks again guys.

Chimo
03-05-2009, 10:48 AM
Hi Geoff

Someone been driving it on the trailer perhaps?:'(

What breed of boat are we talking about?

And what trailer is on?

IMHO this repair will take a bit more work to get a smik looking finish. Might be a job for a skilled frp person............ which; lucky for you, this site is blessed with.:P

Cheers
Chimo

geoffrod
03-05-2009, 10:57 AM
hey chimo

nah mate, i have never driven on the trailer.
and i can never see where the boat is touching the trailer, i realise it has to be somewhere, just can see where.
the boat is a mid 80'S haines hunter V19C
it is sitting on a makay trailer, 2000 series.

here is a pic of it when i bought it back a few years

Roughasguts
03-05-2009, 11:13 AM
Mate don't stress too much when Signature built me Bro's 702 they drilled the floor screws straight in to the built in fuel tank.

Took a while to find out where the petrol smell was comming from.

Chimo
03-05-2009, 01:04 PM
Geoff

Maybe its not from the trailer but from it being beached?
Guess its worth worthing sorting out before you spend time and $s only to have it happen again.

Cheers
Chimo

White Pointer
03-05-2009, 10:14 PM
Reminds me of the old Leyland P76. (The V8s were good) :P

I'd like a $1 for every tyre with a drilled hole in it from when the mechanics were fitting rear mud flaps:-[

Chimo

G'day,

OK. Boat problem solved. Well done all.

But, there's a story here. I had a P76 as a near new car. It was build for the late Evan Green to use in a fuel economy rally. It came off line at the factory and went to Fred Gibson's workshop in Sydney to be rebuilt and blue-printed. After I got it I rejetted the WW215 Stromberg carby with a Falcon 302 carby kit which increased the power jet by 30% and put in a twin 2" exhaust with a balance pipe.

It was quiet but incredibly quick.

Now, what's this about drilling holes in tyres fitting mudflaps?

Regards,

White Pointer