PDA

View Full Version : Boating to tangalooma tomorrow

striking
01-05-2009, 05:31 PM
Guys,
Planning an overnight trip to tangalooma tonight in the 5.3m half cab. Last time I did the run over I left from Cleveland and took around 45mins from memory.

Is it worth the extra drive up to Scarborough to launch ? bare in mind I leave south down halfway to the gold coast.

thanks

Vitamin Sea
01-05-2009, 05:48 PM
Hi

No I would not drive up to Scarby, not worth it.

Think you would be doing very well indeed to do tanga's in 45 mins from Cleveland, would think about an 1:15 would be closer to the mark, but I have not done that run, so I could be corrected.

If you wish to get a bit closer you could leave from Manly, I do it in about 45 minutes, depending.

More direct route by car.

Cheers

Bill

striking
01-05-2009, 06:07 PM
It's bee a year so I could be wrong.

How is Manly boat ramp for launching and security? I do have a trailer lock but still....

I scaled it of the map and there seemed to only be 10km max difference from Cleveland to Redcliffe, so I didn't think it would be worht the extra drive over the gateway!

Vitamin Sea
01-05-2009, 07:16 PM
It's bee a year so I could be wrong.

How is Manly boat ramp for launching and security? I do have a trailer lock but still....

I scaled it of the map and there seemed to only be 10km max difference from Cleveland to Redcliffe, so I didn't think it would be worht the extra drive over the gateway!

Mate
You need a new map if it's showing only 10 k's cleveland to Redcliffe, would think about 30k's by car, maybe a bit more.

I have not had a problem at Manly, though others may have.
I always park under a light etc, go from the southern ramp, near the RQYS, good ramp, no problems.

striking
01-05-2009, 08:05 PM
sorry 10k difference was between redclife to tangalooma and cleveland to tangalooma.
redcliffe to tangalooma approx 28k cleveleand to tangalooma 34k

just trying to work out how much extra fuel I will need to carry
hoping to do a trip around the top end and fish the reefs outside moreton.

TimiBoy
01-05-2009, 08:18 PM
I do it in the boat from Raby Bay. It's a shade quicker via Scarby, but only a shade, and I'd rather be in the boat than the car.

And if you get bad traffic? Scarby'll take longer!

Plus you don't have to trust the trailer and car to those dirty Northerners!;D

Cheers,

Tim

3rd degree
01-05-2009, 10:18 PM
If security is an issue, head to the Whyte Island ramp at Fishermans Island and head out the mouth of the river.

It's part of the Port of Brisbane so is monitored by security cameras, and the occasional patrol too.

If your short on fuel over there you used to be able to get fuel up at Bulwer, just have to take a jerry can up the track a few hundred metres.

Have fun

Jim

death_ship
01-05-2009, 10:42 PM
hey you southerners arent allowed north of the south passage without a visa

Angla
01-05-2009, 10:47 PM
I'm with the Manly crowd as the pic of the ramps. Leave from the southern ramps as suggested. I have parked overnoght there before without incident. The ramp can be a little shallow as in it is not on a very good incline and if you drive on and off you need the motor up a little more than normal.

Cheers
Chris

Damned67
01-05-2009, 11:14 PM
I'll add that the southern most ramp, the one next to the yacht club, is very quiet considering it's location. I launched from there the Sunday and Monday of the Easter weekend, and not only did I not have to wait, but the carpark would have been lucky to have been a quarter full.
Last Saturday I had to wait about 5 min, at midday, to retrieve my boat, but that was only because the person launching before me was screwing around.
Not that I've experienced too many ramps, but so far it's my ramp of choice.

White Pointer
02-05-2009, 01:35 AM
I do it in the boat from Raby Bay. It's a shade quicker via Scarby, but only a shade, and I'd rather be in the boat than the car.

And if you get bad traffic? Scarby'll take longer!

Plus you don't have to trust the trailer and car to those dirty Northerners!;D

Cheers,

Tim

G'day,

Up your nose with a rubber hose for slagging off at us northerners. Now say you're sorry!

The gateway is such a mess of roadworks at present I'd suggest that you launch south and make the run up by boat using the shipping channel.

If you decide to drive to Scarborough come up Sandgate Road. Lower speeds but steady running and lower fuel burn, as a rule.

At Scarborough, make sure you launch at the ramp next to the VMR. The other ramp (northern) is very shallow.

From Scarborough I suggest that you run out through the channel and clear the Castlereigh Reef marker and head south until you are off Redcliffe and then turn east-south east. The banks have built up in recent times and while they don't present a grounding hazard there is lots of chop as you cross.

There's lots of new sand just off Tangalooma resort so I suggest coming in from the north behind the wrecks and following that channel down to anchorage off the beach, if that's your plan. I made Scarborough to Tangalooma last weekend in a 6m plate boat with 175hp running at around 4,000rpm in 45 minutes.

As I said earlier in this, best launch from south and follow the shipping channel. My information is one week old.

Regards,

White Pointer

Vitamin Sea
02-05-2009, 06:48 AM
hey you southerners arent allowed north of the south passage without a visa

;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D

Vitamin Sea
02-05-2009, 06:52 AM
I'll add that the southern most ramp, the one next to the yacht club, is very quiet considering it's location. I launched from there the Sunday and Monday of the Easter weekend, and not only did I not have to wait, but the carpark would have been lucky to have been a quarter full.
Last Saturday I had to wait about 5 min, at midday, to retrieve my boat, but that was only because the person launching before me was screwing around.
Not that I've experienced too many ramps, but so far it's my ramp of choice.

Shhhhh

Don't say to much about that ramp:-X

It's really not that good

cheers

catfishkid
02-05-2009, 07:10 AM
If security is an issue, head to the Whyte Island ramp at Fishermans Island and head out the mouth of the river.

It's part of the Port of Brisbane so is monitored by security cameras, and the occasional patrol too.

If your short on fuel over there you used to be able to get fuel up at Bulwer, just have to take a jerry can up the track a few hundred metres.

Have fun

Jim

Gday jim,sorry no fuel at bulwer anymore,they shut the servo down when hawkins took over.

Cheers Craig

Donny Boy
02-05-2009, 07:27 AM
Gday jim,sorry no fuel at bulwer anymore,they shut the servo down when hawkins took over.

Cheers Craig

Any fuel available over there at all ?????

TimiBoy
02-05-2009, 09:01 AM
Up your nose with a rubber hose for slagging off at us northerners. Now say you're sorry!

Not sorry!

:P:P:P:P

Up your bum with a can of plums!

;D;D;D;D

Tim

Midnight
02-05-2009, 09:08 AM
Gday,
No fuel of any sort available on the island now.

Unless you can barter with a local who has a good stockpile, but I don't like your chances as the fuel is just as precious to them.

Cheers,
Myles

GBC
02-05-2009, 09:26 AM
I thought it'd be 'up your noses with rubber hoses' for you two headed north siders?:-*

Horse
02-05-2009, 11:49 AM
Stick with Cleveland. It is closer to home and is basically the same as Manly (26NM vs 27NM). Scarb is a little closer at just over 22NM but the drive would be an extra 25 mins