PDA

View Full Version : Best Marine Carpet Cleaners

BaitThrower
30-04-2009, 09:50 PM
Got some bronze whaler blood and guts on my new ribbed marine carpet. Left nice stains and pong :P

Whats a good marine carpet cleaner... Haven't really looked at what is available in the boat shops yet, but would like some info on what to look for (or avoid) when I go down there in the next few days...

I know I'll have to scrub with something to get the blood stains out (recommendations here) but also after tips on a good spray foam type cleaner you just spray on, wait till dry then vacuum off... Used a generic carpet one the other day and leaves white dusty rubbish everywhere and didnt really do much.

Advice welcome ;D

Maccas
30-04-2009, 11:49 PM
Get some Septone boat wash - good cleaner and gets rid of the stink as well. Just put some on neat, add a bit of water work in with a broom and rinse off.
Easy;D

Cheers,

Maccas

Roughasguts
01-05-2009, 07:11 AM
Nappy san will do it and a bit of warm water!

Let it soak and wash off.

BaitThrower
01-05-2009, 07:43 AM
Cool thanks guys.

Anyone used the Starbrite Marine Carpet Cleaner?

Marlin_Mike
01-05-2009, 08:00 AM
Every 3 months, my wife goes to Woolies and hires a Britex Carpet Cleaner. She does the carpets through the house, being cleaning supervisor, she also has he right chemicals for carpets, so she knows what she is doing cleaning anything.

When she ahs finished doing the house carpets, I take the Britex out the back and do the carpet in my 5.1mt Centre Console. It comes up a million bucks, cleans any stains, leaves them smelling sweet. When she gets home tonight, I'll ask her the name of the chemicals, and let you know.

Theres also one she uses in a spray bottle, sprays it on stubborn stains to spot clean.

Mike

Kero
01-05-2009, 09:07 AM
Nappy san will do it and a bit of warm water!

Let it soak and wash off.

Beat me to it!
The stuff is magic!:)

AnthonyL
01-05-2009, 12:37 PM
Try to avoid the spray foam supermarket cleaners as they can damage your carpet. I see carpets all the time with bleached spots from foam cleaners. Blood can be difficult to remove as it has a wick back problem so you need a couple of different treatments to remove it without damaging the carpet.

The problem with any store bought product is that if you leave it in the carpet it can continue to work and will take the colour out. So whatever you use make sure you extract the product out... rinse rinse rinse.

Give Prochem a call they can sell you the proper products.. something for the blood then a stain absorb for the wickback.

Unit 3/6 Palmer Place,
Murarrie. Queensland. Australia. 4172.
Phone: 07 3890 1544

catfishkid
01-05-2009, 02:43 PM
Outdoor\marine carpet is polypropolene,it is pretty bulletproof.
I have 20years experience as a carpet cleaner as well as spot dyeing etc...to fix problems from bleaching,and some cleaning products(Big kevs was really bad for removing colour)
I totally agree with the napisan idea.
Then give it a really good hose out to remove any residue.

Cheers Craig.

BaitThrower
06-05-2009, 11:09 PM
Went with the Napisan idea. Mixed some in a bucket then hit the stains with a scrubbing brush and a light scrub. Did the rest of the carpet too while I was at it, then hosed it all off and let dry.

Worked a treat! Stains barely visible any more and definitely no smell lingering. Has brought the carpet back to new again colorwise too.

Thanks for the tips!

Roughasguts
07-05-2009, 09:21 AM
No worries thanks for the feed back! it's good to know the job turned out well for you. And lets the other guy's thinking of doing the same stuff it ain't BS.

Spaniard_King
07-05-2009, 08:38 PM
There is a product called marine cleaner, marketed and sold by BRP. Very underated product, it will clean almost anything in a boat.

I use it on upholstry, carpet, bilge areas and its very good for exhaust soot and grease. Also does a real good job on biminis

You really have to use it to appreciate it!

ozbee
07-05-2009, 09:13 PM
a boat isn't a boat without a few fish stains . cripes what's the world turning to suppose you have those scent dispensers in as well .were fisherman not pansies

BaitThrower
08-05-2009, 06:05 AM
a boat isn't a boat without a few fish stains . cripes what's the world turning to suppose you have those scent dispensers in as well .were fisherman not pansies

LOL true, but i'd rather not put up with the whinging and moaning from the wife and kids about smell or fish guts stains when the boat becomes a people carrier for weekend family outings. :P

ozbee
08-05-2009, 10:22 AM
:D just joking the rule for blood is not to wash with hot water so any laundry detergent and a scrub should do it . also there many products for this type of thing just look around distributors who serve the food industry . you can get four in one mixes cheap which are detergent , deodoriser , disinfectant, odour of scent of your choice . a lot cheaper and all in one go but hide it cause the mrs can use it every where::)