PDA

View Full Version : House Boat Living

GCESTUARY
30-04-2009, 06:43 PM
Has Anyone Ever Lived On A Houseboat Before Or Is Now.housing Costs Are Through The Roof And The Misses And I Are Thinking Of Getting A 45-55 Ft Houseboat To Live In Next Year Some Time ,what Would Be The Pro's And Cons Here As This Lifestyle Sounds Like A Dream..cheers Will

Roughasguts
30-04-2009, 07:43 PM
It sounds great!
I knew a guy who lived on a small yacht, it seemed strange at the time, he also had a VW combi as well, guess he had to get around land based. Somehow he managed to get the lot around Aus eventually, guess it's easy to find a driver for his combi just have to trust them to do the right thing.

Where would you have the house boat?

captain rednut
30-04-2009, 09:14 PM
hi even if you live in a marina in the houseboat its still a third of the cost of renting a house!! i reckon its a great idea. cheers jim

garman1
30-04-2009, 11:37 PM
If it isn't berthed at a marina, you have a tinnie sitting on the shore during the day and a car sitting somewhere at night,,,,,if it rains while your doing the shopping etc remember to drain the water out of the dingy.

not sure about council regs etc for full time living etc

Banks are not keen on lending money out to buy a houseboat either, been there done that. Wife and I wanted to do it but bank slowed the idea a lot. If it isn't bricks and mortar the banks are very iffy about the idea.

We loved the idea, just got to put your thinking cap on regarding the reality side of it. hiring a houseboat for a week would be a good starting point I think just to see if you get that cooped up feeling etc and any problems re car and tinnie storage etc

finga
01-05-2009, 11:43 AM
Where do you put the shed??
Our postman and his postwoman live on their house boat which is permanently moored at Horizon Shores.
They've done it for years and love it.
they also have a tiny tinny for day tripping around the camp.
Only drawbacks they have is storage and maintenance on both the vehicles and boats.
The utes stay parked near the dock.

How much would a permanent mooring be for a 50' boat now??

PinHead
01-05-2009, 12:10 PM
Our postman and his postwoman live on their house boat which is permanently moored at Horizon Shores.
Only drawbacks they have is storage and maintenance on both the vehicles and boats.

bloody expensive..when I had the 30' it was on a 35' berth..that was $5200 per annum 2 years ago...not sure if they let anyone new live aboard at Horizon now...only those that were there prior to the renovations being started.

guruwing
01-05-2009, 12:10 PM
Has Anyone Ever Lived On A Houseboat Before Or Is Now.housing Costs Are Through The Roof And The Misses And I Are Thinking Of Getting A 45-55 Ft Houseboat To Live In Next Year Some Time ,what Would Be The Pro's And Cons Here As This Lifestyle Sounds Like A Dream..cheers Will
hi guys, dont live on one,but i would say hire one for a month and se how
you like it sounds like fun as it has been spoken of in my household as now
the kids have moved out ,i would say its a great change of life but i wouldnt do
it if the kids are still home all the best in what you andthe misses do ::)

finga
01-05-2009, 12:33 PM

bloody expensive..when I had the 30' it was on a 35' berth..that was $5200 per annum 2 years ago...not sure if they let anyone new live aboard at Horizon now...only those that were there prior to the renovations being started.
So that works out at $100/week for rent alone.

SCOTTYGC
01-05-2009, 03:11 PM
one of the guys at work lives on his houseboat in the broadwater he has to move it every week
i think the broadwater is broken up in to areas and you have to move to a different area every week

they have a ranger or someone checks and hands out fines if still in the same place
he has a car and parks it as close to his boat as possible
he parks his tender on the beach and said he had not had a problem with anyone tampering with it

his kids had moved out of home and he said this was the best way to stop them moving back
if he needs to work on the boat he parks it on a sand bank and dose what he needs to do

he said he would never live in a house agian

if you have any more questions let me know and i can ask him

cheers
scotty

not sure what he dose for water and fuel

GCESTUARY
01-05-2009, 08:57 PM
thanks heaps guys ..lots of insight their ..mmm bit worried about banks snobbing ,as i recon you should get a first buyers loan out of it ..not sure what mooring fees on the broadie would be. youd think you would have to save a buck with solar panels for elec and free fish for dinner ,not sure weather you would need a genni for back up,, but still recon the whole thing deserves a big shot..ps doin a 5 o'clocker in the seaway this mon with lures and livies ,,havent been out for yonks [12 mth]so wish me luck ,,hope to post pics of some monsters ..ha!!