PDA

View Full Version : Bundy Trout attack

George Miller
30-04-2009, 01:15 PM
Went out from Bundy for a trip last Friday (24/4) and had such a great day I thought I’d put in a belated post.
We left the ramp around 5.30 am and headed straight for one of the wrecks about 10 miles out to have a troll for a mackerel. The conditions were pretty good with a slight SW wind about 5-10 kts and only a little bit of swell which made for pretty good travelling. There were a couple of other boats at the spot when we arrived so we put the lures in the water as we approached to spot and commenced trolling. As we were cruising along the skipper spotted a school of alligator gar going for their lives across the top of the water, it was pretty spectacular and we both commented that there was obviously something down there that had put them on the toe. No sooner had we spotted them when the X Rap magnum got hammered and the TLD 15 screamed as line disappeared from the reel at an alarming rate. After the hooks were set the skipper picked up the other rod to wind it in out of the way and it got smashed. Well there we were, two people, a double hook up and no gaff man. I managed to get mine to the boat, walk my way to the front of the boat, extract the gaff from its storage place, get the hose off the gaff hook with my teeth and gaff my fish and get it aboard, a Spanish around the 6kg mark (only a baby).
Meanwhile the skipper is still playing his fish and finally gets it to the side of the boat only to have it merrily swim away after I had one misjudged swipe with the gaff:'( . It had actually pulled the rear treble from the lure. Anyway we started to troll again and same story, one gets hit and the other goes off just as the skipper starts to wind it in out of the way. Mine spat the lure and the skipper landed his, a Spanish around 15kg (plenty of bait for the days fishing ahead). This one had done a bit of damage to the lure as well; the rear treble was just hanging in the lure after it was unhooked. Time for a couple of new lures it would seem.
We left that spot and headed out a bit wider in search of some bottom dwelling species. Tried a few of the usual spots for trout without success but did catch a couple of nannygai (a small and a large mouth) and a few decent parrot.
It was getting towards the turn of the tide and the run had been pretty bad as the tides were quite big and the skipper decided that seeing as we had a few livies in the tank he would go try this particular spot for a trout on the bottom of the tide.
What a good call that turned out to be. After anchoring over the spot we lowered a couple of livies and I don’t think they even hit the bottom before we were both locked into a couple of solid fish. In a half hour hot session we boated 8 trout, lost around 4 more and also got a couple of large cod which we released. I would have liked to have had a camera on the bottom to see what it was like down there when the trout were in that mood. I reckon they would have been shouldering one and other out of the way to get at the livies as they were coming down. The 8 fish were all caught without shifting. The two biggest went 8 & 7 kg. All in all a pretty good day on the water:D .

crab man
30-04-2009, 01:53 PM
Great report mate good bag of fish

Spectre
30-04-2009, 02:24 PM
Well done GM...

Very good report & very nice fat Trout !!!!

Cheers
Phil

WestOzDesertFisher
30-04-2009, 03:14 PM
Quality report mate and some quality fish there. Do you use the macks for just bait?

geeb
30-04-2009, 05:08 PM
Great report - thanks for sharing the experience..I felt like I was there and most impressed with your gaff hose removing teeth skills........would have pulled my denture out.........Geeb

Cobia Kid
30-04-2009, 05:47 PM
great haul!!
in the first pic it makes that frount trout look alot bigger then 8kg, ahh the tricks of photography :)
but yeah same question here, do u only use the spaniards for bait?!?!!

also do u bleed ur fish??
cheers,
jamie

skipalong
30-04-2009, 06:02 PM
niiiiice trout

justin

Alchemy
30-04-2009, 07:22 PM
Wow! They are great trout.

jtpython
30-04-2009, 07:28 PM
MAte awesome catch them trout are a good catch.
The big fella's has some age on him too by the black colouring.
Jt

George Miller
30-04-2009, 07:36 PM
we generally don't eat any spanish over 10kg but sometimes even sacrafice a smaller one if we are short of bottom fishing bait, it's one of the best reef bait going i reckon. we don't bleed any of our fish, just put them on ice straight away.

george.

larfin
30-04-2009, 07:43 PM
Some quality fish there mate.
thanks for the report
cheers
greg

Fisher4life
30-04-2009, 07:49 PM
WOW!! they are some HUGE trout!!!

personally i wouldn't be game enough to eat a trout over 5-6kg due to the risk of cigutara poisoning...

Might be worth checking a small part of it on the neighbours cat first...

Congrats on the impressive catch though, definately a trip you won't be forgetting too soon!

Cheers
Josh

twist
01-05-2009, 08:35 PM
What lenngth would you say the big one is????

Benno1
01-05-2009, 08:46 PM
AWESOME!!!...enough said i recon :D
cheers for the piccies and report :D

Mrs Benno1
Sunny

Spot82
03-05-2009, 04:28 PM
Stonker Trout mate, well done and thanks for the report!!

Jeremy
03-05-2009, 07:19 PM
what sort of livies were you using - yakkas, herring, pike? You got a nice honey hole there.
Jeremy

goona
04-05-2009, 09:12 AM
There are some nice trout there buddy. Best eating fish in the sea I recon. You ddi well to extract them out of the reef. What gear are you using?

Outsider685
08-05-2009, 07:11 AM
Great trout mate. We were up that way, actually a little further north around the same time I think....got some good trout also. Anyways...hope to see ya out there one day. Take care. Ash

jarhead
13-05-2009, 11:42 AM
Awesome session that, very nice trout, cheers for the read and pic's.

Wal

George Miller
14-05-2009, 02:29 PM
what sort of livies were you using - yakkas, herring, pike? You got a nice honey hole there.
Jeremy
G'Day Jeremy,

we use any livies that we can get but that day we used mainly lancers and whiptails but i do reckon yakkas are the best. cheers,

George.

George Miller
14-05-2009, 02:32 PM
There are some nice trout there buddy. Best eating fish in the sea I recon. You ddi well to extract them out of the reef. What gear are you using?
G'Day goona,
i use a TLD15 with 15kg platypus pink with 60lb trace. we do lose a few before we get them off the bottom but ya gotta give em a chance i suppose.