PDA

View Full Version : I see Red quick trip

Reefmaster
29-04-2009, 11:08 AM
Howdy all,

A last minute decision was made to fish out from the wide bay bar and soon enough I had the oldman, foxy and Brett with me as we crossed the bar just before dark. The wind was blowing pretty steady from the NE and pulling up 50km out found it starting to blow pretty hard and conditions were far from ideal. With one of the lads pretty crook straight away I decided not to sit out there in that crap all night so headed back 2 hours to DI to hide in the lagoon and have a decent night sleep. The wind swung from NE to W in the morning but was still pretty fresh so we slowly made our way out to fish the close in grounds but the RED bug got the better of me and I headed for a long 3 hour drive to the desired area. We arrived around 11am which would only give us 4 hours fishing before heading back for the bar before dark. A couple of spots produced some nice fish including, parrot, moses perch, hussar, Spangled emperor, Moari & black spot Cod and Reds. Foxy was on fire and pulled a couple stand out fish which was nice red and a big black spot cod. We drift fished and anchored for an equal amount of time with a bit of current running wide but still fishable while I was on the wheel backing up on the spots keeping the lads in the strike zone as long as possible. Baits were large mullet fillets, large squid and whole & cut hussar. Rigs consisted mostly of a 80lb paternoster with 8/0 ganged hooks.

In 4 hours during the middle of the day we ended up with 19 Reds and an assortment of other reefies so it was short but still sweet and 320km was racked up for this short trip. Can't wait for some good weather so I can spend some decent time to search this farely new area.

Regards,
Greg

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg161/Greg_L/htrhrfjy.jpg

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg161/Greg_L/hgfgjfhkjh.jpg

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg161/Greg_L/ytjukjgu.jpg

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg161/Greg_L/KJUHjhkf.jpg

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg161/Greg_L/yjytjytkjyt.jpg

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg161/Greg_L/hgjjgfj.jpg

Horse
29-04-2009, 11:23 AM
I always look forward to your reports. They normally have a nice red tinge to them. Some great fish there

JayT
29-04-2009, 11:25 AM
I see RED alright, geez greg some really nice fish there, what was the weight on the red foxy is holding its a corker!!
Top esky shot too, looks like ya gonna need a bigger esky I reckon:)
Cheers Jay

dayoo
29-04-2009, 11:28 AM
Greg,

Excellent reds and bloody good pics. Still recovering from Monday's trip.
Will be doing a few trips over the next few months up off Fraser leave some reds for me.

Cheers
Barry

Reefmaster
29-04-2009, 11:31 AM
Hi Jay the biggest one was under 13kg. That esky holds 300kg so I'm happy when it gets full.

Cheers,
Greg

Reefmaster
29-04-2009, 11:38 AM
Hi Barry there seems to be a few school reds around at the moment so good luck with your Fraser trips.

Greg

seapup
29-04-2009, 12:14 PM
Nice fish Greg well done! It sure was sloppy out there ah. Will make you appreciate your next trip when the weather plays the game and you can do more searching around!
Cheers,
Benny.

Fixation
29-04-2009, 12:33 PM
Hey Greg,

Great to read a red report from you again. Those photos are awesome. Sounds like you had to put up with some slop out there. Thanks for the read.

Regards,
Craig.

Silent
29-04-2009, 12:55 PM
Your true red emporer master...
Great pic's and so memorable...

nickstock
29-04-2009, 01:32 PM
Geez mate you must of caught some quality fish in your time if you are happy to play skipper and let the boys go hard on the Reds!

When you said that you were using a paternoster with 8/0 gangs, did you still use this rig when using whole hussar?

What do you think Foxy's cod would of went?

Fantastic report, pics and fish there Greg. Good fishin to Foxy and the crew also!

Nick

Reefmaster
29-04-2009, 01:49 PM
Nick to be honest I get just as much of a kick out of putting the boys onto fish then what I do catching them. I caught my share that day but I'm one of those pesty camera guys who tell the boys to hold the fish up for a pic all while they just want to catch more asap. That cod went almost 30kg and yes we still used 3 gang 8/0 hooks that day but I often will run 10/0's on the bigger baits at times.

Regards,
Greg

trueblue
29-04-2009, 02:34 PM
Greg

what type of hooks are you using?

nice haul that, love the colour of red

cheers

Mick

Reefmaster
29-04-2009, 02:37 PM
Hey Mick most of us were using Mustard 7766's 7/0 & 8/0's

Cheers Greg

tfish
29-04-2009, 02:41 PM
Gday greg, thanks for the report. i saw you boys headin up north on sunday afternoon and have been eagerly awaiting your report....and to be expected, you came up with the goods. some great lookin fish. appreciate your reports mate. cheers trav

vertico
29-04-2009, 02:56 PM
awesome fish greg, saw your trailer at the ramp and was wondering wher emy invite was :P
haha good work mate
sean

Nic
29-04-2009, 03:03 PM
Thank you for a great report Greg, top catch. Good to see Foxy looking as blasé as ever with his jaw-dropping fish. ;D

Reefmaster
29-04-2009, 03:08 PM
Thanks for the comments guys.

Doh can't be sneaky with that bloody trailer can I. Did you fish Sean? Don't worry mate you will get a crack one day soon.

Hi Nic yeah Foxy was on fire again and what made it worse is that he was cocky with it and everytime I said "do that again foxy" he bloody did;D

Cheers,
Greg

vertico
29-04-2009, 06:01 PM
nah greg just stirring....was gonna hit 1770 this weekend but the weather gods have spoken maybe next weekend.
sean

skipalong
29-04-2009, 06:35 PM
nice work greg quality reds alround

justin

scoota
29-04-2009, 07:10 PM
Just awsome fish there Greg!!!!!

Great to here a report from you and Foxy in the last couple of weeks.

It inspires us 90 percenters to try and step up to the plate seeing the fish that can be caught if you have a crack;)

Scoota...

Redhunter
29-04-2009, 07:10 PM
Good catch there greg looks like you covered alot of ground
thats the only way to catch em!

goona
29-04-2009, 07:59 PM
awsome fish, awsome photos and how much fuel do you carry to do 320klm??

sleepygreg
29-04-2009, 08:20 PM
An Awesome catch Greg. You do make us poor folk further south veeery jealous with your reports...so keep em coming. Top pics as well.

Greg

jtpython
29-04-2009, 08:46 PM
Great stuff as usaul Greg
Mate just a quick Question The gear your using could you tell us what sort .
I'm using Tyronos 30 with a 24 taipan shimano with 80lb braid jigman 100 lb leader
I see your 80 lb paternosing rig and hooks you were saying
JT

twotins
29-04-2009, 09:50 PM
wow Greg what a catch, as always quality fish and photos. Hows the riptide going what sort of fuel are you using for that 320km in sloppy seas? Cheers Shawno.

whatscracken
30-04-2009, 06:01 AM
Another great report mate, thanks for sharing

Reefmaster
30-04-2009, 10:02 AM
awsome fish, awsome photos and how much fuel do you carry to do 320klm??

Goona the boat carries 365ltrs and has an average range of 440km.

Cheers,
Greg

Reefmaster
30-04-2009, 10:11 AM
Great stuff as usaul Greg
Mate just a quick Question The gear your using could you tell us what sort .
I'm using Tyronos 30 with a 24 taipan shimano with 80lb braid jigman 100 lb leader
I see your 80 lb paternosing rig and hooks you were saying
JT

Hey JT,

Mate I use a Tyrnos 30 with 55lb Schnieder main line and 80lb leader. At times I will just use 80lb all round if there are big fish around. I use a 6 foot 15-24kg custom made rod by John Pope (rod design scarbrough).

Cheers,
Greg

Reefmaster
30-04-2009, 10:16 AM
wow Greg what a catch, as always quality fish and photos. Hows the riptide going what sort of fuel are you using for that 320km in sloppy seas? Cheers Shawno.

The Riptide is going great and hopefully soon I can interface the Suzuki to the Lowrance GPS so I can see where the boats best fuel economy is. It averages about 1.2km per ltr in average conditions. I did a trip to 1770 a few months back where I did 410km for 338 Ltrs.

Regards,
Greg

backlash08
30-04-2009, 05:51 PM
Hi Greg,
thanks for the report, quality fish, quality report
cheers - Craig

Goldfinch
30-04-2009, 06:05 PM
I am so jealous. I would love to catch reds that size. What area of QLD are you fishing? Must be up North?

Well done mate, worth the 3 hour drive.

Cheers
Dave

Anne-T-Dote
30-04-2009, 07:39 PM
Awesome Greggo. Beats workin that's for sure. Tell me - were you already on the road when Foxy rang back to say he'd changed his mind and was gonna come??

Trento did pretty good up at 1770 too. No huge reds but they did get reds and nanny's.

Catch ya,

Macca.

PS - this is the first time I've been on here since the comp last year. That's what havin kids does to ya....

mr_stinker
30-04-2009, 09:06 PM
Its Been A While Hope The Green Peas Are All Good .will Head Back Up Soon . Will Work The Beach With The Same Energy Talk To U After The Comp

dfox
30-04-2009, 09:49 PM
Thank you for a great report Greg, top catch. Good to see Foxy looking as blasé as ever with his jaw-dropping fish. ;D

G-day Nic, after 5 straight days of fishing i managed a shave after those pics...

Macca its good to see your still around! ... foxy

murf
30-04-2009, 10:06 PM
Macca.

PS - this is the first time I've been on here since the comp last year. That's what havin kids does to ya....

you have been quiet Macca :P

top catch Greg and thanks for the G up before Fraser ;D

you must be going soft now with the new boat, doing it too easy now haha

you mob headed back to Fraser in a week or so?

cheers Murf

zulu
01-05-2009, 04:32 AM
Greg, great to see you back out on the water doing what you do best. B'N'B is

not the same with out your input I hope this is rectified soon. We are down to our

last packet of Red fillets, from our last trip together. My dear wife can't wait till I

fill a frezzer basket with Red fillets again. How good is it when your wife

wants to you go fishing again!!

Hope to catch up soon Troy.

sempre
01-05-2009, 08:30 PM
I did hear that Dave caught most of them because you were still recovering from the little drive back from down south

Spot82
03-05-2009, 04:26 PM
Looks like an awesome trip there, We fished out of rainbow on wednesday but conditions were quite average and ended up coming in early with a feed including a school red and nice snap and variety of other stuff, was hoping to head north 50-60km but no such luck, just ended up on the close grounds 30k east of the bar.

If you ever are happy for another boat to tag along on a trip would love to go red hunting, there is lots of ground out there to be explored thats for sure.

Well done on the catch and thanks for the report!

Anthony

Reefmaster
05-05-2009, 02:12 PM
I am so jealous. I would love to catch reds that size. What area of QLD are you fishing? Must be up North?

Well done mate, worth the 3 hour drive.

Cheers
Dave

Dave we were fishing off the Wide Bay Bar area which is out from Rainbow Beach/ Fraser Island. Terrible area for big reds:)

Reefmaster
05-05-2009, 02:22 PM
Awesome Greggo. Beats workin that's for sure. Tell me - were you already on the road when Foxy rang back to say he'd changed his mind and was gonna come??

Trento did pretty good up at 1770 too. No huge reds but they did get reds and nanny's.

Catch ya,

Macca.

Well Macca just another trip you missed out on mate:-* I was just about heading out the driveway when Foxy rang. Only half hour before he said he was just to buggered and all fished out. Those addictive red fish soon got the better of him and I picked him up on the way through. Spoke to Trento and he seemed to have had a good trip. All we could ask him was yeah sounds like you had a good day Trento but did you get any Hussar.;D

Speak to you soon

P.s love that red in avatar macca you must had a great skipper to get you onto that fish;)

Reefmaster
05-05-2009, 02:26 PM
Its Been A While Hope The Green Peas Are All Good .will Head Back Up Soon . Will Work The Beach With The Same Energy Talk To U After The Comp

Mr stinker hows things? Might go for a drive up to the comp for a few days for a look so might see you there. Sounds like I should stand in the suds with you blokes and try dong a few thousand dollars like you normally do.

Talk to you soon.

Reefmaster
05-05-2009, 02:36 PM
you have been quiet Macca :P

top catch Greg and thanks for the G up before Fraser ;D

you must be going soft now with the new boat, doing it too easy now haha

you mob headed back to Fraser in a week or so?

cheers Murf

Hi Murf hope you have been well. I think the new boat has made me a bit soft. Sometimes I would rather sit on the comfy chair in the a warm cabin listen to a few tunes pump out of the cd player while backing up on the fish for the lads. The buggers then ask me to net there fish how inconsiderate. ;D

Seriously its a bloody pleasure to be in and takes a lot less energy out of me now. Unfortunately we aren't going to the comp this year although me and foxy might sneak up for a few days for a look and have a yarn. Hopefully we can catch up with you for a chat.

Cheers,
Greg

BigE
05-05-2009, 03:01 PM
Nice fish , worth the miles. good to hear the boat's treating you well.

BigE

Reefmaster
05-05-2009, 03:15 PM
Hi Troy hopefully soon I will get my butt back into gear and starting writing again. Will have to get you back out to restock the freezer again. I can feel a big red attack coming on soon.

ahahaha Sam I love big drives but unfortunately no excuses that trip foxy was on fire and couldn't do a thing wrong. .

Hi Anthony good to see you got a fish in even if it wasn't to the desired area but its still better then nothing. Actually this time of year the big reds move in close so its not a bad option if you want one of those XOS reds.

Cheers,
Greg

Megatop
05-05-2009, 03:42 PM
Greg,

Just wondering where you get your bait from and what sort - mullet fillets or whole and what price if it's not too much to ask.

Adrian

jarhead
05-05-2009, 05:22 PM
Got the goods again Greg, love that esky shot.

Wal

Spot82
05-05-2009, 07:49 PM
Hi Troy hopefully soon I will get my butt back into gear and starting writing again. Will have to get you back out to restock the freezer again. I can feel a big red attack coming on soon.

ahahaha Sam I love big drives but unfortunately no excuses that trip foxy was on fire and couldn't do a thing wrong. .

Hi Anthony good to see you got a fish in even if it wasn't to the desired area but its still better then nothing. Actually this time of year the big reds move in close so its not a bad option if you want one of those XOS reds.

Cheers,
Greg

How close are you talking? I have fished out off rainbow quite a bit mostly fish east of the bar around the 15-20mile area, have marks from 4 mile out, but keen to explore north up off eurong and further east towards the shelf. Our original marks came from wayne shadbolt who knows the area like the back of his hand and have since found more ground in between. Its hard when you only fish there a couple of times a year though.

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you don't wanna post anything up. Would love to get a red over the 15kg mark, its on my to do list and its no easy task! 11kg is my biggest so far. Thanks for the reply too, greatly appreciated.

Anthony

FISHING_ROCKS
06-05-2009, 06:26 PM
greg u should start a charter bis