PDA

View Full Version : New Trailer? Advise needed

svranjic
27-04-2009, 11:23 PM
Gday

A couple of months ago I purchased my first boat. With limited boating experience and not wanting to get myself into too much debt I took the plunge and purchased a 1990 model Stejcraft 1600 Sunny Fishermans edition. It is a 15ft glass boat with a 1989 Johnson 70hp 2stroke on it.

I purchased the boat for $6500 private sale, the boat needed a bit of work in terms of presentation. So I have spent a bit on it, doing carpet, replacing perspex, detailing , putting a new bimini on etc myself.

I think I probably paid a bit too much for it in hindsight but as it was my first boat and I had little knowledge I guess ive done alright.

Anyhow the problem is the trailer is pretty old - 1974 Roadmaster keel roller with rubber skids. Obviously given the age of the trailer its not in the best condition, its got a fair bit of rust. It's useable, although it looks pretty shabby and isnt all that easy to retreive on my own.

I am considering purchasing a decent trailer however I dont know if it is worth doing so considering how much I paid for the boat and the fact that I am pretty keen on boating now and already dreaming of purchasing a bigger better rig..... (funds dont permit).

Is it worth spending the $$$$ and putting the boat on a nice trailer? If I sell the boat down the track am I likely to retrieve any sort of my money back on the new trailer? or am I better off putting that money towards a bette rig?

I was thinking along the lines of a dunbier trailer but I dunno how much thats gonna set me back, quotes on roadmaster and trailezy have been just over the $2000 mark.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Shane

finga
28-04-2009, 07:16 AM
If your happy with your boat I'd splurge and get a trailer.
But just how bad is the old trailer??
Can you put a picture of areas of concern as they may be an easy fix. Maybe not too.
Nothing wrong with skids for your glass boat.
Teflon would be better then rubber though.

ozbee
28-04-2009, 08:31 AM
if your trailer is still usable give it a protection coat of some sort like fisheline ,something that soaks in and slows down corrosion. you will never recover the value of a new trailer on a old boat. most people who are thinking of newer boats always think larger so a new trailer is of no benefit. those 70 old Johnson are pretty hard to kill so enjoy and save your pennies. ps its easy to run a bit of angle iron and bolt on to give you piece of mine within reason.