PDA

View Full Version : Awoonga hints & tips?

Chris_2184
27-04-2009, 08:45 AM
G'day all

Finally making a quick getaway to Awoonga on wed till thurs this week to try and hook a barra before the temps drop too much. I havn't fished the dam since last year, and was hoping someone would give me some advise on what to use and where:) the lake as you know is quite big and don't really wanna be wasting my hard earnt couple days on areas that might look fishy but are not productive, so any help will be much appreciated thanks ::)

Awoonga
27-04-2009, 11:07 AM
G'day all

Finally making a quick getaway to Awoonga on wed till thurs this week to try and hook a barra before the temps drop too much. I havn't fished the dam since last year, and was hoping someone would give me some advise on what to use and where:) the lake as you know is quite big and don't really wanna be wasting my hard earnt couple days on areas that might look fishy but are not productive, so any help will be much appreciated thanks ::) Chris So what happens when the temp drops ?

DEANO68
27-04-2009, 12:04 PM
Chris So what happens when the temp drops ?

have a bigger fire at nite..????;) .. is this another one of your questions for fridy nite trev..??

Plastic_Magic
27-04-2009, 12:28 PM
Chris the dam is still in a transition mode. As yet no one can predict how long this transition will last. It is tricky at the best of times but at the moment awoonga can prove a very hard dam to the best of them. No spot, Lure or techinque will prove the best at this time of year.(IMHO) Its a matter of thinking 24/7 to increase your chances of hooking a fish. To me at the moment its HUNTING for fish not fishing for them.

So to answer ur question dont think because u are only here for a couple days doesnt mean that your chances are minimal because they are not. Its a matter of going with your instincts and bing confident in what spots, lures, techniques you are using. So just look for what spots look good to you. And remember as Trev (Dr Awoonga) would say the wind is your friend.

As to what Trev (Awoonga) has said ("Chris So what happens when the temp drops ?") Now that will get many poeple thinking.

Cheers PM

Chris_2184
27-04-2009, 05:54 PM
Replying to the question about the dropping temperature, I've fished Callide for quite a few years before the big fish kill and definetly noticed that the barra activity slowed right down when the water temps fell below the approx 20 degree mark. Not that it made them impossible to catch, just had to work a lot harder for them and going home with nothing to tell on many occasions. I'm assuming that Awoonga isn't much different.
Now I rarely get time to make it out to our local impoundments but as my comment suggests, I would rather get out there now while the conditions are favourable for both the fish and the fisherman ;D

Awoonga
27-04-2009, 07:26 PM
Replying to the question about the dropping temperature, I've fished Callide for quite a few years before the big fish kill and definetly noticed that the barra activity slowed right down when the water temps fell below the approx 20 degree mark. Not that it made them impossible to catch, just had to work a lot harder for them and going home with nothing to tell on many occasions. I'm assuming that Awoonga isn't much different.
Now I rarely get time to make it out to our local impoundments but as my comment suggests, I would rather get out there now while the conditions are favourable for both the fish and the fisherman ;D..Well Chris my thoughts are l would rather wait for winter ! As far as Favourable conditions Awoonga in winter can be better than Summer, Bigger fish more off them .. But dont take my word for it.. My Boat ...your time June/ July.. Lets see if l can change your mind about fishing for barra in winter. Trevor

BR65
27-04-2009, 08:14 PM
..Well Chris my thoughts are l would rather wait for winter ! As far as Favourable conditions Awoonga in winter can be better than Summer, Bigger fish more off them .. But dont take my word for it.. My Boat ...your time June/ July.. Lets see if l can change your mind about fishing for barra in winter. Trevor

Now theres an invite I wouldnt knock back. Make sure youve got a beanie on though if your in the skeet at full noise on a brisk morn - brrrrr ;D
Im looking forward to the cooler weather, beats the heck out of those 35 degree days casting till ya arm falls off.
Slow, slower, pause, hold, wait, twitch....the tension is excruciating!

Chris_2184
27-04-2009, 08:26 PM
..Well Chris my thoughts are l would rather wait for winter ! As far as Favourable conditions Awoonga in winter can be better than Summer, Bigger fish more off them .. But dont take my word for it.. My Boat ...your time June/ July.. Lets see if l can change your mind about fishing for barra in winter. Trevor

Sounds good Trevor, will you be on the water wed or thurs so we can say g'day? If not I'm sure I'll remind you on your offer as we get closer to june/july ;D

cheers

Barraholic
27-04-2009, 09:12 PM
Chris,

Fishing shallow (< 5 ft) has been working for us over the last week up until today :-[ - a quick 3 hour session in the middle of the day today saw no activity in the shallows compared to plenty of action (not fish connecting though) the day before - I would speculate that the naughty little wind this morning may have been at play ;) - but I am by no means an expert.

Decided to break the habit of fishing a location rather than fishing the conditions (a habit that can be hard to break) and followed the wind and got one tentative bump on a deep worked plastic.

As BR65 said, make sure you book a date with Trev - a worthy investment.......

Kev

Awoonga
28-04-2009, 05:16 AM
Sounds good Trevor, will you be on the water wed or thurs so we can say g'day? If not I'm sure I'll remind you on your offer as we get closer to june/july ;D

cheers
No mate not this week

Chris_2184
28-04-2009, 07:20 AM
no worries, well I'm sure we'll have good crack at gettin one over the next cpl of days.......if not oh well, nothin beats time on the water! I'll let you all know how we go, cheers