PDA

View Full Version : Haines Signature 492 RF

rickshaw
26-04-2009, 10:36 PM
Looking at buying a reef boat for fishing in far north Queensland and found a 2002 model 492 RF with a 115 mercury (132hrs). A friend has the 492F and loves it but thinks the more forward seating in the RF will give a rougher ride. It looks to be a good boat and the forward seating will give better fishing space but I don't want to pound my brains out getting out and back. Anyone like to let me know how the RF will ride in the Nth Qld chop?

Roughasguts
26-04-2009, 10:51 PM
You won't get a rough ride mate. My 3 kids sit out the hatch in me 492F and that means we all get a better ride.

How heavy is that 115Hp though cause these things sit way arse low with a lot smaller motors than that on them.

My motor is 129Kg and a cab to balance some of the weight.

finding_time
26-04-2009, 10:54 PM
She might be a tad small for anything other than great days Rick! And on those days it's very unlikely to slam anyway.

Ian

rickshaw
27-04-2009, 09:18 AM
Wow speedy replies, worth the ten bucks to join.
The 115 Merc looks enormous on the back and weighs in at 140 kg according to the Merc dealer I spoke to. He says they are a good old donk and 132 hrs is nothing. I like the forward seating as it gives some extra space down the back for fishing.
You're right about only going out on good days 15 knots or below is the go up here but you do get a nasty little chop that pounds boats. I was looking at aluminium but every man and his dog recommends glass for a good ride in this size boat and the Haines seem to have a great rep.

boatboy50
27-04-2009, 09:52 AM
Hey Rick,

The 115 Merc is one of the worst engines ever made by Merc.

It's reliable enough but is very rough running and pretty doughy.

The 492RF is not a bad boat. May struggle as a regular offshore rig though.

Regards

Draren

krazyfisher
27-04-2009, 05:20 PM
what sort of spend did you have in mind?

rickshaw
27-04-2009, 07:33 PM
I was looking at around $15k to start with but this boat was $19k. which seemed good value compared to other similar boats with similar years on them.
For a good rig around $20k would be my top end which limits me a bit. I also want to stick with a 6 cylinder conventional vehicle so I am limited to towing capacity of around 1300kg, which is why i originally was looking at aluminium center consoles around 5 metres but as I said earlier everyone said go glass for comfort.
I'll be fishing out of Mossman, bottom bashing and trolling macs with my two youngsters 12 & 14 so I want something reliable and safe.

Chine
28-04-2009, 12:44 PM
Looking at buying a reef boat for fishing in far north Queensland and found a 2002 model 492 RF with a 115 mercury (132hrs). A friend has the 492F and loves it but thinks the more forward seating in the RF will give a rougher ride. It looks to be a good boat and the forward seating will give better fishing space but I don't want to pound my brains out getting out and back. Anyone like to let me know how the RF will ride in the Nth Qld chop?

Rickshaw,

I had the 493f which has a maximum transom rating of 90hp.

115 on the back of a 492 is a lot of engine and there well may be insurance implications.:-X

Rgds

Chine

Argle
28-04-2009, 02:13 PM
Rickshaw,

I had the 493f which has a maximum transom rating of 90hp.

115 on the back of a 492 is a lot of engine and there well may be insurance implications.:-X

Rgds

Chine

The 492RF is actually rated for 120HP, a mate had one with a V4 120HP Johhno on it and it went like a scalded cat! The weight of the Merc might be an issue but the ride is unreal for the size of the boat, I doubt there is a tinny anywhere in that size that would ride as well as the little Haines

Noelm
28-04-2009, 02:47 PM
I would reckon the 115 Merc would be a pile lighter than a 120HP Evinrude/Johnson, they were a very big and heavy engine, but they went really well.

krazyfisher
28-04-2009, 06:03 PM
its always a problem with weight and budget.... It has been said many time but the bigger the better. I fish from mackay and if you pick the days you can go anywhere. I fish upto 70km out and have no problems in a 5.4m. I feel more limited by the condition of the motor and the hull to get me home than the size, does that make sence???
What I am trying to say is make sure the motor and boat is in good condition. the size will just limit what conditions you can go out in, the comfit and the safety factor of a small boat will be less.
As for the forward controls my boat is a coxcraft reef runner and its sort of forward control and found no problems... it is a bit bigger and has gas ride seat but its smooth.

rickshaw
30-04-2009, 10:28 PM
It is rated for a 115 hp so no probs with the rating. The boat looks immaculate and the motor has only 132 hrs. The rig is on boatpoint and is in Atherton Qld. My only real concern was the ride with sitting so far forward and the quality of the Merc 115. My mate with the 1996 492f also thinks the hull has less depth at the bow but it looks the same to me. Did they vary the hull much over the years with the 492rf? I thought the hull remained the same and the top section varied from model to model. I was mainly looking at the boat because of the softer ride compared to alloy and the fairly new low hours motor.

MyEscape
01-05-2009, 05:34 AM
Boatboy, I had a 115 merc (2005 model I think). Most people I spoke to said that model merc was bullet proof. Including a non merc dealer here in Mackay.

I don't have it now, as I downsized after leaving Gladstone, but not for any issues about the merc.

Steve

death_ship
01-05-2009, 05:51 AM
for another 5K you can pick up near new ones with four strokes on them which is the only way to go if you have the coin
like this bad boy
http://boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=6994662

pog mo hoin
01-05-2009, 01:20 PM
death_ship is right I have the 530C and you can take it anywhere, do anything eg, ski, tube, offshore, river camp etc and the hulls are very seaworthy, a great boat for the price