PDA

View Full Version : New boat trailer

Hornet Rider
26-04-2009, 09:22 PM
I needed a new trailer as my older Tinker didn't have brakes & with the boat loaded it was getting above 750kg. Tow with a Pajero 2.8 turbo diesel & there was plenty of braking control but needed to be legal. Criteria for the new trailer was it had to have mechanical override brakes, was a quality brand for longevity, resale & robust use on sealed & unsealed roads (not off road), needed to carry my 5m tinny & a bit longer in case I wanted to up-size the boat, needed to be at least 1000kg or more ATM to overmatch the boat weight for longer trips. This one is 1300 kg ATM.

Looked at all the good brands, & a few lesser quality ones. Got some good tips from previous posts on here (thanks to all who contributed) & some extra tips from Chimo & few others. Had some boat repairs done at Viper boats on the Gold Coast & the owner Phil put me onto Mayfair Marine. Got quotes from 4 other dealers, but Mayfair's quote for 4.9 to 5.3 extended with MO brakes was the better of the bunch. The Viper guy could have made some money on it too, but was just happy to see I got a good deal. Ended up with a Redco Sportsman. Pics attached. In the process of painting it with Tectal 506 to enhance it's protection from saltwater. All up with 14 x 185 wheels (no spare, already had one), web strap to replace wire rope & LED lights it cost $3195.

Any tips on improving it's saltwater protection most welcome.

cheers, HR

Roughasguts
26-04-2009, 10:21 PM
How come the right hand guard is a differant colour?

Have you alredy sprayed it with something.

Hornet Rider
26-04-2009, 10:37 PM
Yes, it's painted with Tectal

Roughasguts
26-04-2009, 11:05 PM
Oh that's good then.

Not a bad price for a new trailer with brakes, I should get brakes on mine it comes in at 749Kg.... yeah right but that's what the papers say.

And your right the Paj stops the trailer well! only good thing about the paj is the brakes. I do have brakes on me Caravan that comes in at 1850kg sure notice that trying to get up hills, pitty about the motor.

Angla
27-04-2009, 12:14 AM
I just had my trailer re galled and the trailer guy was asked to Tectyl all the metal surfaces where they sat together, slides, bolts and nuts. And I fitted the lights and rollers with a huge amount of spray additives consisting of mainly lanolin and Duralac for all the metal on metal and bolts and nuts. I also have the greased durahubs.
You can never put on too much protection in my book

Cheers
Chris

Chimo
27-04-2009, 06:45 AM
HR

1 Fish oil or similat the gal brake wire

2 Fit spare on hub opposite jockey wheel so traler can run on three wheels for beach launching

3 Machine rotors so brkes can be adjusted to work optimally. If rotors are not trued they will rub pads and and overheat the bearings

4 Fit bearing buddies if not on, Cannot see.

5 Get under boat when on trailer and tied down to make sure all rollers etc are carrying equal load

6 Wash salt off webbing and dry before rewinding if you get it wet to prevent hub rust

Sorry buddy but you asked.............

Cheers
Chimo

pedrodepacus
27-04-2009, 06:58 AM
hey mate good to see its all come together for you
cheers phil

Chimo
27-04-2009, 07:03 AM
Pedro.............

That shed base and maybe rail is getting closer.................

Chimo

pedrodepacus
27-04-2009, 07:20 AM
Pedro.............

That shed base and maybe rail is getting closer.................

Chimo
new shed is find out today:D do u mean bretts

Chimo
27-04-2009, 09:50 AM
Pedro...............s

No. The little jobs we discussed some time ago. Talk later; maybe when the booth is full!

Cheers
Chimo

SgBFish
27-04-2009, 10:37 AM
Get rid of the strap and replace it with Spectra rope.

Sump oil the springs.

Silver Kill Rust all the bolts.

Make sure when you wash it after salt water use that you use a neutral detergent like car wash not an alkaline detergent that will react with the galvanising.

Mr__Bean
27-04-2009, 10:51 AM
Nearly every trailer that I have noticed the beginnings of corrosion has it starting at the lowest point of something.

Whether it is the lowest point of the roller brakets, lowest point of the cross bars or whatever but it always seems to start at the very bottom of everything.

Probably due to all the salt being rinsed down to there.

So, I would make doubly sure that the lowest point of everything gets a really good Tectyl coating.

- Darren

Hornet Rider
27-04-2009, 07:20 PM
Get rid of the strap and replace it with Spectra rope.

Sump oil the springs.

Silver Kill Rust all the bolts.

Make sure when you wash it after salt water use that you use a neutral detergent like car wash not an alkaline detergent that will react with the galvanising.

Thanks for that advice SgBFish. Was going to unbolt everything & kill rust the bolts, then apply some thread-eze ultra before refitting everything. Would applying Tectyl to the springs first, then sump oil be better?

cheers, HR

dnej
27-04-2009, 08:32 PM
HR, does that back section swivel.If so ,does it lock in in some way.
David

Hodad3230
28-04-2009, 06:30 AM
One other thing, if you want maximum protection pour sump oil/lanolin/whatever down inside the RHS. Block the ends off first, fill up, and lift the trailer from the front then each side do distribute it around inside the beams. If you know some-one with a small crane, I helped a bloke at work do this and we basically filled the insides of the beams and rolled it over gently.
Cheers Ian

Hornet Rider
28-04-2009, 06:44 AM
HR, does that back section swivel.If so ,does it lock in in some way.
David

David,

The cradle tilts up from the horizontal about 15 degrees for loading & pivots on bolts either side & is adjustable forward/rear to take a longer boat. It doesn't lock-in, but sits flat with the boat weight when loaded. Pics attached.

cheers HR

dnej
28-04-2009, 11:43 PM
HR, do you think it would be worthwhile , to put a pin through the rails,once the boat is loaded.
There will be a fair bit of pressure on the one roller, that holds the pivot flat, I would expect. A pin would help eliminate that pressure.

I made a one for my tilt, different of course, with a bolt, and a welded chain link on the head. Drilled the other end, and installed a removable pin.
David

Hornet Rider
29-04-2009, 08:01 AM
HR, do you think it would be worthwhile , to put a pin through the rails,once the boat is loaded.
There will be a fair bit of pressure on the one roller, that holds the pivot flat, I would expect. A pin would help eliminate that pressure.

I made a one for my tilt, different of course, with a bolt, and a welded chain link on the head. Drilled the other end, and installed a removable pin.
David

David,

Yes, I see what you've done with yours, very effective idea. I think the weight with the boat loaded is distributed across/along the 5 rollers on the cradle, & the forward rollers. The front & rear skids will be adjusted to give lateral stability but not to be load bearing. I'm not sure how a pin to lock the cradle in place will improve load bearing during loading, unloading or travel. Am I missing something?

cheers, HR

Chimo
29-04-2009, 09:56 AM
Hi HR and Dnej

If you look at the pic you"ll see that at each end of the pivoting beam there are roller sets of 6 etc rollers.

The beam pivots and so transfers the load which is as it was designed to do.

If you lock your set up or I locked mine I suspect it would be easy to break something and the load transfer system could be adversley affected.

Cheers
Chimo

bennyboy
29-04-2009, 12:36 PM
[quote=Hornet Rider;1007658Got quotes from 4 other dealers, but Mayfair's quote for 4.9 to 5.3 extended with MO brakes was the better of the bunch. The Viper guy could have made some money on it too, but was just happy to see I got a good deal. Ended up with a Redco Sportsman. Pics attached. In the process of painting it with Tectal 506 to enhance it's protection from saltwater. All up with 14 x 185 wheels (no spare, already had one), web strap to replace wire rope & LED lights it cost $3195.

[/quote]

Hi Hornet Rider, I was after a new trailer do Mayfair sell the trailers direct from the factory?

Thanks for your help

SgBFish
29-04-2009, 01:26 PM
Thanks for that advice SgBFish. Was going to unbolt everything & kill rust the bolts, then apply some thread-eze ultra before refitting everything. Would applying Tectyl to the springs first, then sump oil be better?

cheers, HR

I like the idea of having some lubrication between the springs as it allows them to move against each other better.

Its nearly that tinme of the year for me to do my trailer again before a trip north in Winter. I wish I had a forklift.

I once had the idea for a business, "You fish we service your trailer". Whilst the owner is on the water for the day we do the trailer and when you return its had the bearings done and lubed up. Bigger jobs would't be possible due to access to welders etc but how come nowone is doing this service?

Scott

dnej
29-04-2009, 02:11 PM
HR,
Sorry, I thought the rear pivot rollers were also support rollers.

If they were then there would be a lot of pressure on one roller.Thanks for the update also Chimo
Regards David

Hornet Rider
29-04-2009, 07:05 PM
Hi Hornet Rider, I was after a new trailer do Mayfair sell the trailers direct from the factory?

Thanks for your help

bennyboy,

In my case they did, which cut the middle man out. That was the owner at Viper Boats, Phil on the Gold Coast. I was happy to make the purchase through Viper, but he kindly referred me to Mayfair at Rocklea direct. I had a few discussions over the phone & arranged a time to visit, linked up with the manager James that day & we discussed specifics. I liked his quote & ordered the trailer. James & his staff treated me well, & had the trailer ready on time with exactly what I asked for, all bolts tight, all measurements as per their spec. I took the tape measure with me when I collected the trailer & gave it a run over for measuements & to see if it was all squared up - it was.

Why not give James a call at Mayfair? 3277 7322.

cheers, HR

PAUL-H
29-04-2009, 08:18 PM
Great choice of trailer there Hornet Rider,have the same under my new 4.85 rig
coudnt be happier,the rear pivot idea is great too.
cheers Paul

Hornet Rider
29-04-2009, 10:29 PM
Great choice of trailer there Hornet Rider,have the same under my new 4.85 rig
coudnt be happier,the rear pivot idea is great too.
cheers Paul

Paul, yes Mayfair make a quality trailer, as do others too, but the price on this one was hard to go past. Hope yours has been behaving itself?

cheers, HR

bennyboy
30-04-2009, 11:12 AM
bennyboy,

In my case they did, which cut the middle man out. That was the owner at Viper Boats, Phil on the Gold Coast. I was happy to make the purchase through Viper, but he kindly referred me to Mayfair at Rocklea direct. I had a few discussions over the phone & arranged a time to visit, linked up with the manager James that day & we discussed specifics. I liked his quote & ordered the trailer. James & his staff treated me well, & had the trailer ready on time with exactly what I asked for, all bolts tight, all measurements as per their spec. I took the tape measure with me when I collected the trailer & gave it a run over for measuements & to see if it was all squared up - it was.

Why not give James a call at Mayfair? 3277 7322.

cheers, HR

Thanks for letting me know, a complaint has been made to Mayfair Marine for bypassing their dealer network.

Purchasing through dealers keeps people like myself employed, boat shops open and the industry alive. The savings quoted would have been very marginal less than $50 and if a dealer was advised of the price quoted, it would have certainly been price matched.

Times are tough and I'm sure Mayfair Marine saw the opportunity to make double the margin on a sale which is very tempting. The moral of the story is if you happen to find someone who will bend their rules for god sakes don't tell everyone!

Chimo
30-04-2009, 06:39 PM
HR

I thought you bought the trailer thru Viper but rather than have the trailer freighted to the GC and then you driving down there you were allowed to pick it up and talk direct to the factory?

At least by talking direct you got exactly what you wanted, Viper got their cut without having to do too much and mayfair sold a trailer to a satisfied customer.

Maybe bennyboy should explore extra, clever ways to make customers happy while earning his $s easier. Sounds like more people need to be outcome focused rather than slaves to extra imputs that just add cost, time and give more opportunity for stuff ups especially with the extras that customers want. What about it Benny?

Cheers
Chimo.

pedrodepacus
30-04-2009, 07:31 PM
HR

I thought you bought the trailer thru Viper but rather than have the trailer freighted to the GC and then you driving down there you were allowed to pick it up and talk direct to the factory?

At least by talking direct you got exactly what you wanted, Viper got their cut without having to do too much and mayfair sold a trailer to a satisfied customer.

Maybe bennyboy should explore extra, clever ways to make customers happy while earning his $s easier. Sounds like more people need to be outcome focused rather than slaves to extra imputs that just add cost, time and give more opportunity for stuff ups especially with the extras that customers want. What about it Benny?

Cheers
Chimo.
as the owner of viper boats just to let you no you have hit the nail on the head chimo despite the way it reads
as a manufacturer of aluminium boats i source motors trailers and electronics through a wide range of suppliers based on customer requirements
the sale of this trailer was made through my account with a margin that was reduced as there were no transport costs incured by myself hence mark picked the trailer up directly from the factory himself and i advised him to check the modifications that were done to make sure he was happy with it before he took delivery of it
sorry to hear of your complaint benny but a simple phone call to myself could of clarified it for you and as far as margins involved this is not the place to be discussing that
cheers phil

Hornet Rider
30-04-2009, 08:18 PM

Thanks for your help

benny,

So you were after a new trailer, or did you just use that line as a bit of burly, thinking something was going on? If the latter is the case, then I don't appreciate your tactics. PM me if you've got an issue. I'd been after a trailer for nearly 6 months & I got referred to Viper boats for some work I need done on my boat - new ally fuel tank, repairs to a hull crack, replacement bow & side rails, & a couple of extra pockets. Viper quoted me for a trailer & I put $150 deposit down (refundable if I pulled out) over 3 installments, & that was 3 trips to the Gold Coast from the north side of Brissy. After getting other quotes, I eventually settled on the Redco from Mayfair & that was two weeks before the recent T&T show. I even got another quote from a mob at the T&T show, under the Viper quote & when I phoned them they went a bit better. Mayfair was busy with orders & with other things concerned with the T&T show, so my order was delayed. I got a bit crabby with Viper & Mayfair & upset the office girls, something I apologised for later. After that I got a call from Mayfair & Viper to sort things out, I accepted there would be a delay, & 2 weeks after the T&T show I got a call from their office to pay the balance & my new trailer would be ready for collection. That saved me another trip back to the Gold Coast. I reckon they did me a good service, saved me a trip down & back to the coast & I got the product I needed. I'd be happy to deal with Viper & Mayfair again.

cheers, HR

bigfella23
08-05-2009, 11:39 AM
Did you buy it through a dealer , or will they sell direct?