PDA

View Full Version : Missus does it again on "Hard Livin"

levinge
26-04-2009, 06:01 PM
Missus and I decided to do a morning fish around Cape Cleveland and Magnetic Island. Headed out to the Cape around 6am this morning. Carpark is an understatement, qutie alot of boats all over the place. Anchor up on a mark I had and after about 1 hour we managed some undersized Small Mouth Nannys, a good sized Stripey and a little Trevally (who was slabbed up for flesh baits).

Once we'd had enough of that, we decided to troll around Salamander Reef. After 1 hour of this and not a hit, we headed straight across to Magnetic Island, conditions were pretty good, with the boat sitting on 33kts and travelling across the chop with ease.

Once at Maggie, we drop the Rapala Xrap's in (Missus drops her favourite in quick smart). we troll the area for a while until we spot surface action, Tuna or Macks hard to say but they are around and hungry. There are about 5 other boats trolling the area and everyone works well at not getting in each others way.

Missus assumes her usual trolling position (nodding off down back). Anyway to cut a story short, she's nodding off and as usual her drag goes ballistic. Whatever has hit her line has got some toe and is not happy about being hooked. She finally gets the rod into a gimbal belt and the fight begins. 10 minutes on tooing and froing and finally we get colour. Spanish Mack and a good one at that. It goes under the motor and after a little coaching, the missus has it up alongside again. Gaff in hand I get set to hook this fish and haul it aboard, then I see how it is hook and I know I only have 1 possibly 2 goes or its toast.

The missus has hooked this mack in the eye socket. the gaffing is going to be ugle but I manage to get him just behind the pectoral fin and quickly haul him over the side. Good fish and the missus is 3 for 3 on the same lure. Her first 14kg, second 17kg, 3rd 12KG. For the next 2 hours I cop the fisho slanging as she boasts about the effort. I just take it and let her have her moment of glory....

Anyway we head back toward the ramp around midday, I would've stayed longer by I had a nightshift to work and the boss wouldn't be happy if I chucked a sicky.
Still 1 good fish was enough for a nice morning on the water...Maybe next time I'll get that damn lure on my rod before she does (not bloody likely is the answer).

skipalong
26-04-2009, 06:39 PM
top spaniard guys well worth the effort

cheers justin

jtpython
26-04-2009, 06:49 PM
That is a good fish. you may have to go buy another one the same .. That'll be a good excuse anyways
Top effort
JT

Benno1
26-04-2009, 07:49 PM
hooked is hooked...no matter where :P...the favorite X Rap would be the 7 meter green diver would it :P...well done to Mrs Levinge...do you fillet them then portion it up...or steak the makeral???
thanks for the piccies and report :D

Mrs Benno1
Sunny

FNQCairns
26-04-2009, 08:16 PM
Talk about being shown up! and there are pictures!!! what a trip to remember to charge the battery's before filleting time:)

The biggest one might be best left to feed the cats??

cheers fnq

sleepygreg
26-04-2009, 11:54 PM
Bloody nice spaniard. That pot plant in the background looks like it could use a bit of water though :D

Greg

Alchemy
27-04-2009, 07:14 AM
Hi Brett,

Would have been great out there this weekend, but we stayed home to do jobs. Sometimes question my priorities :-/ Anyway, great mac there. Should keep you going for a while.

Regards,
Dave.

levinge
27-04-2009, 07:43 AM
Thanks Guys

Dave, we kept a couple of the steaks, but missus likes sharing, so about 50% of it goes to her work colleagues (allows us to go fishing more often). Priorities, M-A-T-E!!!!! I had to do a 12 hour nightshift last night, thats dedication... Good sleep today though!!

Greg - Pot plant is the missus responsibility (no green thumb there, just salt)

Sunny Colour is right but we normally use the 30's and troll the deeper water

Great fun, would've loved to stay a little longer out there but the tide was going to low and it was a shallow one, didn't want to risk it

Brett

Nic
27-04-2009, 08:54 AM
Aaaaargh why didn't we go out this weekend! Well done to the Mackinator, I still haven't caught a Spaniard as big as hers. Hope the silver speedsters stick around for a while longer... what's the usual season on mackerel up here?

levinge
27-04-2009, 09:03 AM
Hey Nic, they've been hanging around all year, which is strange, but we are not complaining. I thought you'd have gotten one by now. Need to get Dave to pick up some of those Xrap 30's there I think....

Mozza
27-04-2009, 10:04 AM
Brett,

Great report mate. Congrats to the missus for a 3/3. Ron and I pushed out to the Cape after lunch to avoid the crowd and had to punch through some close-in slop to find it glassed out, out the front of the Cape.

Fishing was slow with livies being the only bait worth using but getting it was hard enough - we had to hie ourselves to Sally to get some yakka on the bait jigs. They got eaten without a fish in the boat although Ron got smashed by something big and nasty with big orange scales (we suspect).

Had some fun early drifting over marks doing some high speed jigging for a doggy, an u/s spaniard and numerous follows.

Cheers
Mozza

Fisher4life
27-04-2009, 10:30 AM
Hey brett. Heard you on the radio yesterday and must admit i was suprised you didn't head out to the reef for a quick fish with the weather as good as it was.

ronnien
27-04-2009, 12:26 PM
Aaaaargh why didn't we go out this weekend! Well done to the Mackinator, I still haven't caught a Spaniard as big as hers. Hope the silver speedsters stick around for a while longer... what's the usual season on mackerel up here?

nic,
mango season is the best time to chase Spaniards.
they start their run usually around September- October out at keeper, loadstone.
fish around 8-12kg are there in big schools.

brett,
well done to the missus mate! great fish!!!

ron.

SnowE
27-04-2009, 12:46 PM
Nice Macko yet again Brett, must be the Honda's drone that attracts em;D congrates to the Missus.

We ended up with 3x Large Mouth Nannies, 2x trout, 1x Macko. We also had the Gold spot trevally eating most of our baits, but only kept one for bait, some people like to eat them, but as I have Red Emperor, Coral Trout and other reefies still in the freezer, I was not keen to take too much fish.

We also caught 4x Rainbow runners (all released), at one stage we were achored and I noticed a balled up school of bait coming toward us, so when in range I threw a slug at em, and hooked up a Rainbow runner (there was a pack of them chasing the lure!). I fought it quickly to the boat, then I noticed about 8 rather largish men in grey suits under the school, they came looking for the fish I had on, but I got it out of the drink quick smart and then released him (don't know if he got smahed or not). It was a good site to see, first time I have seen so much fish life with out them actually all going off, the bait was balled up, but nothing was actually hitting them (at the time we veiwed it anyway).

Cheers,
SnowE

levinge
27-04-2009, 01:08 PM
well done Snow, did you get to mack alley??

Josh, I had a nightshift last night so that was the only reason I didn't run really wide. 3 hours out a back would've eaten into some rest time before work...