PDA

View Full Version : Anzac day lucinda. PB for LOZ

Dr_Dan
26-04-2009, 09:14 AM
After I bought home some decent fish last week, and Lauren not being on the boat this year, she was busting for another trip out. With the weather gods being on our side for once, we headed off to lucinda in the early hours of ANZAC morning, thinking we'd try to beat the rush. Get to Dungeness at 0430, and there was already 10 boats in the line up waiting for the ramp.
Everyone was well behaved, and the the launches went smoothly, and it wasn't long before we were on the water. A quick run out to BRamble reef saw us with the lures out the back just on sunrise.
After less than 10 minutes of trolling, the big rapala screems off. Of course the boss was on strike, and was soon loosing more line to an obviously good fish. After it's second big run, we could see colour planing along into the current. She was well and truly buggered by this stage, and as the mackeral came up, we could see why, it had the hooks in it's mouth and the second set at it's pectoral fin. Beautiful gaff shot by me (gotta be proud of something, couldn't catch much all day!) and lauren's new PB was in the boat. Quick bash on the head and bleed and into the box.
About 5 mins trolling later, the little halco goes off, as i'm getting that, the rapala goes off again. Dropped the rapala relatively quickly, and as would be the luck for the day, I lost a nice little spanish at the side of the boat. So lauren back on strike. Another 5 mins and off goes the little halco again. Not long and laruen has another nice sized spanish in the boat.
With two nice mackeral on ice, thought we'd head off looking for something red off the bottom. Within a short period, lauren had a nice redthroat in the esky, with me following (FINALLY!) with another. We still had plenty of redthroat from the last trip, so decided to head off to brittomart for a look around.
getting to brittomart, I was putting the pressure on lauren to get in for a snorkle. Having never been snorkelling, she was a bit apprehensive about getting off the back of the boat in the middle of the ocean. Finally, after seeing a big manta ray cruise past the boat, she decided she'd get in for a look. The next couple of hours was spent swimming around the flats trying to identify the countless fish milling around us.
We had one trop on a mark at Brittomart for little result, and decided to head home around lunch, in glass like conditions.

I made a plan a while ago to every ANZAC day go fishing, and there was somehting stiring and emotional about being able to hit the water dawn doing what is the ultimate freedom. And to see the look on Lauren's face after her fish and snorkel made the trip.

Alchemy
26-04-2009, 12:11 PM
Nice Spaniard there Dan, and the conditions look brilliant. Isn't it great to be able to go out, grab a fish then head up to the coral for a snorkel.

Gotta love NQ.

Regards,
Dave.

goggles
26-04-2009, 02:44 PM
Mate what a perfect looking day u had out on the water. What depth where u in doing the snorkelling. Wayno

Benno1
26-04-2009, 03:02 PM
great trip Dan and Lauren :D...did you use any bait or just the lures on this trip???...love the picture of Lauren snorkling!!!...that water is fantastic!!!...looks about 6/8 meters deep???
cheers for the piccies and report...glad you guys had a great day :D

Mrs Benno1
Sunny

Dr_Dan
26-04-2009, 08:22 PM
Dave.
Definitely is a hard place to live!

Wayno.
Was one of the better days weather wise on the water. It wasn't a total glass out, but up here, those days are too friggin hot to be out on the water. Depth was about 8mt up to 3. Big tides so the water wasn't the clearest that i've seen, but gorgeous just the same. Thousands of little jellyfish everywhere stingy little buggers!

Mrs Benno1
Got the mackies on lures and soaked some bait on the bottom. PS Lauren can't take the credit for that good looking backside snorkelling, she was the photographer ;)

Benno1
26-04-2009, 08:35 PM
funny you say that about the jelly fish...we went out to Wistari Reef on Anzac Day...(caught a decent feed)...but the water was filled with all manner of jellyfish...i counted at least 3 differnet species...the kids had fun with their wee nets trying to catch (unsucessfully i might add) and look at the blobs...there was a fair amount of run out there...maybe pushing the beasties around???...or a migration of some sort???

Mrs Benno1
Sunny

Nic
26-04-2009, 09:20 PM
Well done guys, Lauren's big Spaniard is a horse... wish I could catch one that big. Doubly well done to her for preserving her sanity after 4 fishless months!

Saw loads of those jellies the previous weekend, felt like we were floating in soup. Wouldn't want to dive in without a suit, that's for sure.

As an aside, I have found snorkelling is even more fun (if that's possible) with an underwater camera. Lots of fun trying to chase down a trout or cod for a pic. :)

jtpython
26-04-2009, 09:37 PM
Prestine conditions . They are great sized Spanish ...... Good to see them everywhere abouts
Good stuff
JT