PDA

View Full Version : Red Fish

dfox
25-04-2009, 09:44 PM
G-day all...
A mate of mine found a bit of country here in south east queensland that's been producing some outstanding catches (i wont say where at his request). I spoke to him on thursday and he suggested i tag along and explore the area.
The old man and a mate joel, joined me and we loaded up the boat thursday arvo.
We hit the water and were in the area fishing several hours before sunrise friday morning.
The first location was a small rubble patch and the furuno lite up with a massive show. I anchored on part of it and as he predicted the scarlets were on the chew, by sun up the bight had slowed up, and the better fish shut down and the husser moved in. I decided to up anchor and go for an explore.
The surrounding country was very flat but there were patches of live bottom and over the next few hour's i located a number of small rocks, some with reasonable shows.
I fished these areas most of the morning and all were reasonably productive.
Dad scored a good red emperor on one rock that later pulled the scales down to the high 13kg mark. We had a few good run's on reds, mostly school size fish ranging from 6-8kg's. The variety mixed in with the reds was good and I was a little suprised by the quality of the grassy sweetlip, we caught about a dozen and all were between 4-5kg's, real quality fish.
Other species caught included several varieties of cod (estuary,maori,coral),parrot,spangled sweetlip,snapper, one trout even a few spanish mackerel.
We fished until sundown before calling it quites and heading home.
Back at the ramp it was dissapointing to discover that my car had been broken into (smashed window) and the spotlights stolen. (b@rst@rds).
Summing up it was a interesting trip ... foxy
A few pics

Angla
25-04-2009, 09:52 PM
Holy $hit Batman, thats a great catch for the day. Great pic's. thanks for sharing. It's a shame you cannot give everyone the co-ordinates so I suppose we will see another few reports of good catches from you.
Do you put the good catch down to the first of the season catches and do you think the catch rates will decrease as the season goes on?

Cheers
Chris

Searaider 2
25-04-2009, 09:54 PM
Hi Foxy ,
Top catch mate , but it looks like Dad showed you how to get the big one .;)
Say geday to him from me .
Catch Ya .

dfox
25-04-2009, 10:01 PM
Holy $hit Batman, thats a great catch for the day. Great pic's. thanks for sharing. It's a shame you cannot give everyone the co-ordinates so I suppose we will see another few reports of good catches from you.
Do you put the good catch down to the first of the season catches and do you think the catch rates will decrease as the season goes on?

Cheers
Chris

Chris i gave up doing reports due to some of the P.M's i recieved from either greenies or jealous fishermen. I probably wont be putting up to many.
Greg (reefmaster) can do most of them when either i fish with him or vise verser... foxy

Angla
25-04-2009, 10:27 PM
Sorry to hear about the spotties walking while you were out. There are a few people who just want to take the easy way out when it comes to fishing spots and valuables. Apparently they are out numbered by the honest people. I still wish they would lose an eye or something as they are stealing the gear.

Cheers
Chris

rakinray
25-04-2009, 10:40 PM
G/Day Dave some awesome fish there mate ;D always look forward to your trip reports mate who cares what some others think :'( Im heading out from Rainbow next week (weather permitting) on a local Charter up that way, would be happy to see some of those species of any kind ! Once again mate great fish.

CHEERS RAY. PS Bum deal about your car Dave wouldnt you like to catch em at it. >:(

Gazza.Boyne
25-04-2009, 10:57 PM
Top report & great pics Foxy. Sorry to hear about your car, there are some low life around the place.

Thanks for sharing
Gazza

sleepygreg
25-04-2009, 11:56 PM
Just for a more general location.....which port did you fish out of? I mean SEQ is VERY broad.

BTW...excellent catch...im extremely jealous...keep posting though....keep me drooling.

Greg

jtpython
26-04-2009, 06:22 AM
Chris i gave up doing reports due to some of the P.M's i recieved from either greenies or jealous fishermen. I probably wont be putting up to many.
Greg (reefmaster) can do most of them when either i fish with him or vise verser... foxy
How right you are.
Mate thats some excellent fishing congrates on the colour. There have been good catches of large grassies of late and productive numbers . Last year around this time was excellent for the reefies and large sized spanish up up for us too
JT
Sorry to hear about the car always some idiot out there

perko
26-04-2009, 06:31 AM
Good to see you still going well Foxy. It is a shame to hear some people have hassled you over your catches. Well done mate.

disorderly
26-04-2009, 06:38 AM
Pretty decent trip there Dave...just another day at the office for you though..:)

Those grassies are just rippers mate...I dont see them that big up here...

That red must have been a bit of a workout for your old man..its a beauty..

Keep the reports coming ...very nice indeed...:)

Redhunter
26-04-2009, 07:42 AM
some nice colour there dfox i will start doing some reports off double
when my 6.3 fisher is built

-spiro-
26-04-2009, 07:55 AM
Good fish Dave and Dad. Good to see a red arse kicking misson. Dad do his normal on any pearlies?
Dave is this the car park i go to? pm me if you like.
Thanks

dayoo
26-04-2009, 08:12 AM
Nice report and pics Dave. Heading out tomorrow morning on "Alexander". Hope to bag some nice snapper.

Cheers
Barry

wags on the water
26-04-2009, 08:21 AM
Congratulations on the beaut haul. I think the SEQ location is adequate. When you spend the time and money scouring the ocean to find these spots, the area should be kept quiet. When travelling to some marks you can sometimes find great new ground to explore for the next trip.

Cheers,
Wags

Fixation
26-04-2009, 10:32 AM
Hey Dave,

Quality report there mate. Love the colour in the esky. The grassies are a nice size. Were you mainly using dead baits?

Thanks for the read.

Regards,
Craig.

skipalong
26-04-2009, 11:09 AM
nice work dave some quality fish there in the box mate

Pistol_P
26-04-2009, 12:30 PM
YEAH..!!!....Top fish mate....8-)

What a feed you would have had..!!

Pete

spaniard
26-04-2009, 01:31 PM
Nice fish dave, good to see the old man gettin in to them. Didn't Joel go to the toilet out there, he is strugglin to hold them fish up.

goggles
26-04-2009, 02:40 PM
Congrats on the catch, theres some real nice colour amongst that catch not to mention some good chewing. Wayno

Benno1
26-04-2009, 03:16 PM
red is the BEST colour...thanks very much for the piccies and report Dfox :D

Mrs Benno1
Sunny

whatscracken
26-04-2009, 03:29 PM
Unreal report Foxy, don't worry about the greenies and anyone who gets jealous cause I love seeing your reports mate.

nickstock
26-04-2009, 06:49 PM
That is one of the best reports that I have ever seen mate. Reds like those are stuff dreams are made on.......well mine are anyway!

Thanks for posting Foxy, please keep on putting the odd post up when you get a chance mate, like I said mate, fish like that are what my fishing dreams are about.

Is there any chance that you could share a few of your techniques? So little is ever mentioned about catching XOS Reds.

Nick

Horse
26-04-2009, 07:46 PM
Great report and some very nice fish there Dave. Don't let the tossers interfere with sharing the tale
Those Grassies are great and I haven't even seen a 13kg Red never mind catch one

Thanks

Neil

Nic
26-04-2009, 09:20 PM
Foxy, great to see Milton is still outfishing the young bucks, he's a champ.

Don't worry about the jealous blokes who PM you. Let them earn their fish by spending the time and fuel to find their own spots, same as the rest of us do.

I enjoyed the report and love the pics... wish I had been there!

jimbo 69
26-04-2009, 09:24 PM
top report, keep them coming

revs57
27-04-2009, 07:06 AM
Good work foxy - well done mate, good to see you among them again

cheers

Rhys

backlash08
27-04-2009, 07:29 AM
quality foxy, thanks for posting
cheers - Craig

Silent
27-04-2009, 07:56 AM
I love your work and great pic's and those grassie size are so impressive!

Damn some idiots around car park...

MyWay
27-04-2009, 10:14 AM
excellent work foxy
very good going
i hope the person who broke in to your car his mum will recognize him in shnicle >:( >:(

i heard that ramp was very safe no such think never happend

Heath
27-04-2009, 10:22 AM
Great report Foxy.

Tell them tree hugging hippies & the jealous fishermen to all get stuffed!

finga
27-04-2009, 10:45 AM
Love the 5th picture :)
Poor bugger on the left looks to be in a spot of pain. Either that or he's having a crap.

Good to see real hooks hanging out their gobs as well.
Were they all stinky bait captures?

Yep, tell the huggers etc etc to get a chainsaw up em and go and get some more Reds just to really peeve them off.
Good stuff in all :)

twotins
27-04-2009, 01:48 PM
Great report Foxy, mate 99% of us out here love reading your reports and I for one have missed them over the last few months. Dont let the buggers get you down you still have heaps of mates (and fans) here on ausfish. Cheers mate Shawno.

Schuey
27-04-2009, 05:16 PM
I agree with twotins, they're great reports and would be a shame if you were silenced coz at the end of the day it is a fishing website. nice work and a remarkable catch.

rando
28-04-2009, 02:26 PM
Good report Foxy, thanks.

When I see a report like that It inspires me to keep trying , keep studying and learning .
I hope to be able to put up my own post one day, with a fiinne catch to show for the years of trying,and not getting it right.
Keep up the reports they are great.

rando

seapup
28-04-2009, 02:53 PM
Nice Reds Foxy!
Cheers,
Benny.

Reefmaster
28-04-2009, 04:22 PM

Gee thanks Foxy;D
Actually you did a good job of this one so might get you to continue with it. :-* That pic of milton and his red turned out well.

goona
28-04-2009, 05:20 PM
Great report Foxy. If you dont mind which ramp was it so I don't fall to the same fate as you. I have had the same thing done to me and it gives you the sh_ts. The thing was they were even there waiting and looking sus and I said to my brother there up to no good but he convinced me otherwise and away we went and upon our return same deal as you.

dfox
30-04-2009, 08:27 PM
Thanks for all the replies and P.M's , ive been busy fishing and working and havent had a chance to reply ... foxy

Spot82
03-05-2009, 04:18 PM
Looks like an awesome trip mate!! Don't blame you on wanting to keep the spot a secret, a lot of those little patches of rubble and reef can easily be overfished and I'm sure thats the main reason for most people keeping their spot x's to themselves.

Seems to be some nice reds getting around at the moment and hopefully I will be into some off fraser in a week and a bit :o)

Thanks for the report mate and well done again on the catch, some awesome fish there!