PDA

View Full Version : reel drags - whats right for storage - tighten right up or loosen right off

patrol50
25-04-2009, 09:45 AM
ok fellow fishermen what actually is best for reel drags when storing after cleaning- so should we tighten reel drags right up or loosen them right off - i have read conflicting reports on this - and is it the same for baitcasting reels and for spinning reels - thanks and cheers rob
ps also my genuine deep respect and thoughts this day to all who lost their lives or were injured fighting for our great country

NAGG
25-04-2009, 10:15 AM
Once the reel has been cleaned - back the drag off ( compressed drag washers over a period of time just leads to lumpy drags.

I also try to get into the habit of backing the drags off at the end of the day ....... I dont know if this makes a difference or not - but it doesn't hurt

Chris

tunaticer
25-04-2009, 12:03 PM
When not in use I back the drags off completely and rattle the washers loose before storing. Had too many drags start to go scratchy being locked up full time before i learnt. Now I never have a problem with drags.

Also be careful what lubricant is used in your drags as some compounds will dry out over time and become sticky.

GBC
25-04-2009, 04:15 PM
I got in trouble the other day when a mate saw my stuff with the drags not backed off.
Apparently we lube them with the drag up tight, then back them off for storage.
When we remember :P
Apparently we don't pressure wash our reels or drown them with inox either.::)

Lizard Man
25-04-2009, 08:03 PM
With all reels, tighten the drag up completely to clean down, the back them off completely as others have said. I have a mate who used to tell me I didn't need to back the drags off. Guess who's reels still have smooth drags and who complains about losing fish to sticky drags?;)

I also can't stand it when I go into a store to buy a reel and some twit has screwed the drag up so it's tighter than a fishes a......>:( Though that's where the shopkeeper should know better. Never, ever, take the display model if it's the last one in stock, unless your getting a significant discount to compensate for replacing your drag washers, which will need to be done.

sam russell
25-04-2009, 08:17 PM
Loosen your drag right off but don't forget to use reel covers as the loose drag can let dust into the reel.

Cheers
sam

patrol50
25-04-2009, 08:36 PM
thanks guys appreciate the feed back - fortunately have been loosen mine off so might have done the right thing for a change - and yes lizard as you say the shop guy hands you a reel and the bloody drag is always locked up dead tight - i will remeber that next time i buy a reel
cheers rob

moater
26-04-2009, 02:50 AM
I also can't stand it when I go into a store to buy a reel and some twit has screwed the drag up so it's tighter than a fishes a......>:( Though that's where the shopkeeper should know better.

Yes indeedy,But it's not just limited to the shopkeep!

Also bloody annoying when you buy a reel from overseas (or other web purchase) and find that the drag has been screwed right up tight and has stickiness because of it.Most of the time it's still a super bargain but annoying to have to replace the drag washers, although it's usually better to do so when you've bought better quality (ie older) reels anyway.

alantani
26-04-2009, 05:38 AM
consider the possibility that it might not matter what you do. if you have a composite drag washer, felt or dry carbon fiber, your drag system will start sticking over time. if you define failure as being "sticky," you are looking at a 100% failure rate given enough time. it might not matter if you store your reels with the drags on or off.

the combination of coarse woven carbon fiber and pure teflon grease is known to have a near zero failure rate. it does matter if the drags are buttoned down or backed off, a greased carbon fiber drag washer will stay smooth forever. that is the reason that you will find greased carbon fiber in the flagship two speed lever drag reels of every major reel manufacturer. and probably the reason that you will never find this drag system in star drag reels or spinners.

i'll let you figure out the reason why..........

banshee
26-04-2009, 05:45 PM
[quote=Lizard Man;1007116

..............I also can't stand it when I go into a store to buy a reel and some twit has screwed the drag up so it's tighter than a fishes a......>:( Though that's where the shopkeeper should know better. Never, ever, take the display model if it's the last one in stock, unless your getting a significant discount to compensate for replacing your drag washers, which will need to be done.[/quote]

A lot of new reels have the drag screwed up hard ex factory,we generaly back them off before they hit the shelf but quite a few get missed.

skipalong
26-04-2009, 06:47 PM
i always back them off as much as possible and have not had any issues, in saying this i still regular check, maintain and service the reels and drag washers

justin

Lizard Man
26-04-2009, 11:35 PM
Sorry people. What I meant by the shopkeeper "knowing better" is not that the shopkeeper screws the drag up(this is usually done by a customer), but the shopkeeper should know to check his/her stock and back off all drags that are tightened, as banshee does.