PDA

View Full Version : Can you use "spot" instead of EPIRB

Roughasguts
25-04-2009, 07:31 AM
Hi guy's I just stumbled on Spot sattelite messenger! it seems to do the same as an Epirb except it's more usefull.

Seems you can take this thing anywhere caravan holidays, or Kyaking flying around the world and your nominated friends or family can track your exact where abouts on computer and even be sent mesages via Satelite.

Has anyone got one? seems they work on a subscription for a year for a basic service "Emergency only"or more advanced options are available for extra dollars of course.

Think I would much rather this than an Epirb which does very little in comparison.

SatNav
25-04-2009, 08:00 AM
1. SPOT is not a replacement for an EPIRB

FNQCairns
25-04-2009, 08:22 AM
Not a 'regulated' replacement for an EPIRB as above but it would be nice for the family to have the option to ring the authorities who are waiting for all of their ducks to line up in a row before authorising a money spend, to tell them to get the chopper in the air and where to head to find the family member.

May make for an interesting coronial inquiry one day, with the family as witness to a rescue time line, first hand in real time.

cheers fnq

catfishkid
25-04-2009, 09:08 AM
Somehow I knew Satnav,lord of the epirb police would have a negative response for this one.I do agree that it is not a replacement but i think it would be great as a secondary system(Note I dont call it a backup system).The ability to track the system at anytime would certainly give the family peace of mind.
Before the lord starts,I DO have a 406 epirb,it is registered and I DONT carry a 121 now the system is out of date.
I await all the reasons we shouldnt look into SPOT as a secondary system.

Craig

mod5
25-04-2009, 09:17 AM
For those interested http://www.findmespot.com/australianewzealand/index3.php

Roughasguts
25-04-2009, 09:32 AM
Thanks, Mod 5, I had trouble setting up the link. Stupid work computers being hard to get along with.

mod5
25-04-2009, 09:47 AM
5DhwYXo19Ps

griz066
25-04-2009, 09:56 AM
Looks the goods to me

mod5
25-04-2009, 09:59 AM
http://www.gpstrackingaustralia.com.au/spot/

http://www.gpstekreviews.com/images/Spot_Sat_Msgr.jpg

Spot Messenger $349 AUD

Annual Service Fee $115.00 USD

Unlimited Premium Tracking Annual Service Fee $49.00 USD

Annual GEOS Rescue Service $12.95 USD

(http://www.affinity-one.com.au/store.php?crn=227&rn=522&action=show_detail)

SatNav
25-04-2009, 03:19 PM
"Somehow I knew Satnav,lord of the epirb police would have a negative response for this one.I do agree that it is not a replacement but i think it would be great as a secondary system(Note I dont call it a backup system).The ability to track the system at anytime would certainly give the family peace of mind.
Before the lord starts,I DO have a 406 epirb,it is registered and I DONT carry a 121 now the system is out of date.
I await all the reasons we shouldnt look into SPOT as a secondary system.'

Question was: Can you use "SPOT" instead of an Epirb

Answer was: SPOT is not a replacement for an EPIRB

1. Amazing was some deduce as a negative response?

SatNav
25-04-2009, 03:29 PM
Ok Some of the "distractions" in this context from a marine safety context (Note: Some might call these negatives ;) )

1. The device is NOT water proof

2. Service isn't reliable

3. The system is part of the GlobalStar organisation, manufacturred by a GlobalStar partner and support out sourced to a third party call centre

4. The device from a safety context can not be tracked by emergency services

5. Costs quite a bit more over a 5 year period than conventional approved Epirb technology

6. GlobalStar satellites have proved to be unreliable and failing at a much higher rate than anticipated. However SPOT does only use the L-band uplink which has been more stable

7. Yes as mentioned SPOT is not considered a replacement or backup or even secondary emergency system in lieu of an Epirb. SPOT is really not an emergency system at all.

8. Safety should not be reliant on a third party "commercial" operation

But there's more :o What of the "non distractions" (Note: Some might call these positivies ::) ) to be continued 8-)

catfishkid
25-04-2009, 04:59 PM
Satnav my point was simply that you seem to be on a one man crusade to ram your saftey ideals in a very condecending way into every thread that questions epirb usage.There are very clear laws regarding such issues and I am sure I adhere to them very well as do most ausfishers,some are less vigilant.
This thread relates to another system that I feel would make an excellent secondary system for tracking of loved ones,something an epirb cannot do.
I wouldnt see it as an emergency rescue beacon however in due course it well could be.All systems can be unreliable in their infancy.
Sorry but i dont read the initial post as a question "can SPOT be used in place of an epirb"?I see an interested party questioning another system that seems to offer more.
I see your reply as the EPIRB police putting us in our place.

Craig

CreelReaper
25-04-2009, 07:55 PM
Guys,
The original question from Roughasguts I believe was.....Can you use "spot" instead of EPIRB.

Answer quite simply is NO. It does not meet the minimum requirements for boating safety at least in Qld anyway. Not too sure for NSW

If you want something that can cover a myriad of situations from bushwalking, camping etc then go for it but if it isn't waterproof then what good would it be in your boat over a period of time??

How long is your typical EPIRB going to sit in your boat before it will be relied on to save your life????? For 95% of us I would assume that it will never be used. Can 'Spot' be guaranteed to last????:-/

Not saying it would be a good idea or not. Just asking what each of us should be asking as eventually you may need it to save your life or those of loved ones.

Shane

propdinger
25-04-2009, 08:31 PM
i looked at getting a spot for travelling on a remote area but my biggest concern was if the company who run spot go broke its useless. but in saying that if my plans do come together i will have one for the trip i want to take simply cause it will be extra insurance in the outback.

sleepygreg
26-04-2009, 12:25 AM
As an aside...not related to boating. Would this be an ideal thing for a 'grey nomad' with a Winnie or caravan combo travelling the country side, for their loved ones to keep track of their location and well being?

Greg

sleepygreg
26-04-2009, 12:27 AM
I suppose what im asking is ..... does this work in the great expanse of Aus...or is it like so many things that only work near the capital cities and major centres?

Greg

dogsbody
26-04-2009, 09:24 AM
It's an orange box, so where do the messages get sent to? how does one read them? do you need access to a computer to see messages?

Or is it just to tell people where to find your body?

Dave

SatNav
26-04-2009, 09:35 AM
"As an aside...not related to boating. Would this be an ideal thing for a 'grey nomad' with a Winnie or caravan combo travelling the country side, for their loved ones to keep track of their location and well being?"

1. Yes it would.

2. One thing to consider is the initial all up cost (about A$550) and ongoing yearly costs (about A$235 based on current rates)

"I suppose what im asking is ..... Does this work in the great expanse of Aus...or is it like so many things that only work near the capital cities and major centres?"

3. There is continental Australian wide coverage (and beyond) with claims of messages within 20 minutes 99% of the time.

Roughasguts
26-04-2009, 10:22 AM
I suppose what im asking is ..... does this work in the great expanse of Aus...or is it like so many things that only work near the capital cities and major centres?

Greg

Hi Greg, thats how I found this gadget someone was traveling up the canning stock route (Outback WA) and the "spot was sending GPS marks" to friends and family to there computer using Google maps.

I think every teemage daughter should have one! I know I would like one If travelling overseas and in our outback.

Cheers

sleepygreg
27-04-2009, 12:13 AM
Thanks for that. I have an uncle and aunt who have a winnie.....and take off for three month trips a couple of time a year...and my mother gets concerned about their whereabouts...especially as other brothers and sisters are not in the best of health at their age. Also I am an account manager (read : sales rep) with a territory that stretches from from Bundaberg to Cooktown....and inland to Longreach and Mt Isa. Most of that area (once you get out of the major centres) has NO phone coverage....maybe this is a tool to keep track of me in case of trouble. (no doubt some will decry this as lack of privacy...but I dont have any qualms about this as long as im doing my job).

Greg

lee8sec
27-04-2009, 07:32 AM
Greg, sound like a good item for you. If/when i start travelling i will look at getting one. How do the costs stack up against a sat phone? Leigh

SatNav
27-04-2009, 08:04 AM
1. SPOT is certainly cheaper than a SAT phone but then both do different things in different ways

2. With SPOT your wife will know where you are but won't be able to call you or talk to you. Some might find this a good feature?

lee8sec
27-04-2009, 09:22 AM
Sat nav, no draw backs yet. Leigh

SatNav
27-04-2009, 09:29 AM
1. Not for the specific application of travelling as you have noted.

2. Effectively fits into the gizmo category

lee8sec
27-04-2009, 04:48 PM
I ment the (2) cant call you. ;D Leigh