PDA

View Full Version : Lucinda Quickie

Alchemy
23-04-2009, 06:15 PM
Nic and I launched at 5pm last Saturday to fish out from Lucinda, ending up with 2 Spaniards, 1 red, 1 nannygai, 1 cod, 1 trout and 4 red throat. Weather was great and we were lucky to have a few memorable experiences.

First was me getting bricked on the first drop, then about 6 hours later pulling up a cod that I estimate to have been around 20kg. This cod had my two 9/0 hooks in his gob, plus my 200lb leader wrapped around his body with my 16oz snapper lead hanging from his tail. I reckon the body wrap and lead slowed him down enough so I was able to get him in second time around.

Second was Sunday morning, and we were anchored up at the reef when a few Spaniards started hanging around the boat. Nic dropped a pillie over and she sight fished a nice little Spaniard. Before the Spaniard hit, a large trevally started to approach the bait, then the Spaniard shot past and hit the bait leaving a cloud of pillie. The Spaniard spun around and hit it again for the hook up. I had to have a turn and did the same. It was great watching these fish only 10 - 15 feet under the boat in crystal clear water.

Third was that Nic's Spaniard had a big hook stuck in its side that was covered in muck. Obviously been there a while.

We then burleyed the macs just so we could watch them some more.

Other fish caught were 4 chinaman fish, all between 8 - 10kg. If only they had been reds! All in all a great quick trip, back at the ramp 3pm Sunday.

Dave.

jtpython
23-04-2009, 06:27 PM
Mate they are horse's that Nanny and Red . Is great stuff getting a hook up from a spano so close to the boat abd be suprized how many you see at times doing the same
Great photo's
JT

gucci84
23-04-2009, 06:35 PM
nice fish dave/nic it great when you get them schooled up why didnt you try some metal always have fun with them untill a gt come along still fun but hard work. i was looking all weekend at the weather when i was down the haughton thinking i should be at lucinda but the girly wanted some crabs and a lazy weekend. such is life

have a good one
casey

geeb
23-04-2009, 08:35 PM
Great fish - brilliant photos - and how nice you are a team - thanks for the post...Geeb

reel scream
23-04-2009, 10:11 PM
Great fish, pics and story Nic and Dave. Well done.

Cheers Scott

Teachnthekids
24-04-2009, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the post Dave great story and pics.

Wish I could get my wife interested in longer trips but can only get her out in mill pond conditions and definitley no overnighters!

Oh well such is life!

Cheers
Rob

Silent
24-04-2009, 12:55 PM
Another great report off Hinchinbrook...
Love it...

backlash08
24-04-2009, 04:13 PM
Hi Nic and Dave, Thanks for another quality report,
if we can ever get some reasonable weather down here in SEQ I'm sure we'll return the favor
cheers - Craig

Benno1
24-04-2009, 04:45 PM
Thankyou Nic and Dave...always a pleasure to see your posts on the front page :D

Mrs Benno1
Sunny

disorderly
24-04-2009, 06:47 PM
Damn Dave, nice red man...

Nice also to see you grab the camera and give Nic some of the limelight too ;);D...we all know how good a photographer she is but its cool to see her connected to a good fish as well...well done guys...sounds like some fun was had..:)

Scott

trueblue
24-04-2009, 08:08 PM
love that part of the world there........ great fish.

have you tried out the handlining techniques yet for an adrenalin rush??

cheers

Mick

Alchemy
25-04-2009, 09:25 AM
Thanks JT. The nanny was a great fish. I reckon the red looks bigger than he is as his fins are all up. Made for a great pic having him fired up though!

Casey, you are right. Some metal would probably have worked well. I'm not that confident in catch/release of Spaniards as their fangs make me nervous. I pretty much gaff them for good control before I put my hand anywhere near their mouths. We decided two was enough for the esky and since I wasn't sure I'd successfully release others we left them alone. Just gave them a feed of pillies and watched them for a bit.

Geeb, Scott, Silent, Sunny. Thanks for the feedback.

Rob, Nic and I love the overnigters. It does help having a good sized cabin, plus I have a cold fresh water shower too.

Criag, maybe you should move north. This weekend is another pearler! I'm sure you'll get plenty of opportunities with winter coming along.

Hi Scott. Nic knows what she is doing and outfished me in numbers of fish caught this trip. I really like that pic of her hooked up, but it turned out to be another big chinaman.

Mick, Lucinda is fast becoming our choice of launch points in the area. It is no further than the drive from Forest Lake to Mooloolaba and compared to Townsville, the facillities at the ramp are much better. Eg parking and hose down area.

We haven't tried the hand line yet, but will. This time we put the Saltiga with 47kg braid on a 37kg 5'6" T Curve jig rod. The shorter rod made the task of turning the fish much easier, or at least achievable.

Regards,
Dave.

goggles
25-04-2009, 10:50 AM
great report, theres some fish there to bad about those china's . Wayno

nickstock
26-04-2009, 07:38 PM
Wow,

Nic is giving something some serious curry with that saltiga!

Some fantastic pics and fish there guys,

Nick