PDA

View Full Version : cant regain my MOJO

reel scream
22-04-2009, 11:30 PM
Speared as a lad for years out of SA. Had a strange swim back with fish one day and got pretty f'n spooked for no apparent reason. a lad got chomped and dead by a white bastard the next week. This is all at Aldinga SA.

Have since worked the majoriy of my life on boats I(trawlers/charter) and now, in a completely diff industry, am looking at getting back in for a swim.

I have had the bloody fear in me since the swim back from Aldinga when I was 17. I am now 37. I have never speared since. I loved it.

I went and bought a Hawian and some fins before our Yamba trip 2 weeks ago.Never went in ....Dirty water......spose i was saved by the shitty weather. I just cant get myself into water above my waist now and it shits me.

Had a dive/ snorkel up north but cant do it anywhere around here.

Can anyone reccommend someone to yarn to??

Cheers Scott

TimiBoy
23-04-2009, 05:50 AM
Hey Scott, not too helpful, but read my signature! I grew up swimming at the beaches in SA, Aldinga, Normanville, Victor and so on. I'm none to keen any more either, having lost a cousin to a great white, and having been rescued from a sand bar myself with a GW circling the bloody thing on the Yorke Peninsula.

Use a rod Mate!

Cheers,

Tim

kokomo
23-04-2009, 10:15 AM
if you were there with other people i dont think you would have a problem...

warti
23-04-2009, 06:25 PM
Yep, team up and if its too dirty go fishing. Went in about 3 metre viz the other day and i get out thinking what are you doing you knob.

FNQCairns
23-04-2009, 06:39 PM
Scott you might just need someone to hang with? I have spent lot's hours exploring the drop-off along Bribie passage as a young fella, never saw a shark, also the jetty, whiteside,bridge and surfside on those calm days and even red beach when the run is slow. A hundred hours of spots around bribie.

IMO wait for winter, the productivity of all the organisms that make up dirty water take a bit of a break then one just needs to watch the wind.

I too am a little aprehensive, water will need to be clean for the first few attemps.

cheers fnq

disorderly
23-04-2009, 07:15 PM
Sometimes you just have to take deep breath and do it despite the fear you feel....Adrenalin is not a bad drug really...

insideout
23-04-2009, 08:18 PM
Chance favours the prepared, if you are passionate about getting back in the briney, give urself the best chance of surviving a bad situation, shark guard, legstrap with knife and emergency air, dive buddy, ect.Try not to mind ya feelings about getting in the water, its a human thing, primal, you will eventually decide the best thing to do for yourself.

rando
23-04-2009, 09:54 PM
Ive got the spooks too Scott. Its a long story so I wont recount it here.
I find it hard to get in the water,because of the fear factor and its getting harder the older i get.
I tried to break the pattern on a Swains trip, spent 2 hrs in the water with the boat's crew. I felt ok, and enjoyed it. :)

Here is an anecdote from my first ever snorkeling experience that first trip I did to Swains

The crew on the Booby Bird were pretty good spearo's and were very keen to see me have a good experience, they reassured me, and I was confident around them. Despite my overwhelming fear of sharks.
We went spearing on "Sandshoe reef," a bit north of where that trawler went over in Hamish.

When I put the pick down, on top of a bommie we were going to dive there., A 7-8ft bronzie swam out from under the ledge.:o

I was suited up and ready, and i knew if I waited while the others got their gear on I would chicken out. So in I went. Still cant believe i did it.8-)

Not being fit, the guys soon left me behind once they got in the water. So i plugged along on my own for awhile . Then I inhaled some water and had to head back to the dinghy to recuperate.:P

I had just got my hand on the gunnel, when someone started bellowing SHARK,,, SHARK,,, BRING THE BOAT,,, SHARK!!!!

Well everything slowed down,,,,, It seemed to take an hour to get in the boat, 20 minutes to get the anchor up and 15 minute to get the motor to kick.
In reality it was about 2-3 minutes.

So I go screaming over to this bloke standing hip deep on some coral holding a 4kilo trout above his head.
And I am SHITTING myself, expecting blood, and a life or death situation.

ARE YA HURT,! WHERES THE SHARK! QUICK GET IN! I say as i motor up to him.

He calmly throws the trout in the fish bin , says "Bloody shark was after my fish"!!!

BUT WHERE IS IT,,,, WHERE ARE YA BITTEN????

"No mate its gone, the motor scared it off,
its cool now,
but the bastard was gunna take my fish."

I looked him in the eye, and said .

" Next time,,, give it the F#$&ing FISH"

He grinned at me, slid into the water, saying,, I'll go and get another one!!!:o;D;D
They were ballsy young blokes Ill give them that,
mad,
but ballsy
I thought you might enjoy that little yarn;):)

The next trip, I went over the side for a swim with the two blokes i was fishing with.
Maybe not having a weapon between us was the difference, but it felt really weird, and i couldn't wait to get out of the water.:(

I would love to give it another go but its, hard to find really clear water except , out deep.

I will be reading this spearing board with interest, thanks to those responsible for getting it up and running.
cheers

PS
Insideout has it.... shark guard,!!! I dont know how much they are but they are reported to work really well..... buckle on your mojo and away you go;D

Gilli
24-04-2009, 02:12 PM
Mate im the same as all of yous, only been once, i cant wait to go again but fark me, just b4 i jumped in i was staring at the water trying to work up the balls to actually take the leap lol.

Once i was in and had a bit of a scout around i was a little bit more settled but still waiting for something to jump out at me.

cheers,
Chris

boney-leg
24-04-2009, 04:05 PM
" Next time,,, give it the F#$&ing FISH"

If you start feeding the sharks they get trained up on the sound of the gun and they will hassle divers more because they learn that they can get an easy feed. I dive areas around where I live and you can tell when people have been feeding the sharks :-/ The more you dive with sharks you get to learn their behaviours and you can tell when they are getting aggressive. Bronzies always seem aggressive because of the way they swim in and then quickly retreat. Different sharks - different behaviours.

rando
24-04-2009, 08:03 PM
Yeah Boney
Those blokes were spearing in very sharky places all the time. They said the sharks would hassle you in hopes they would freak, and jettison the fish.
Their response was to hold the fish close, so the shark cant get to it, and be real aggressive, "dominant fish behavior".

Having said that, Jason, the cook( he is a black bloke) came in the next day white as a sheet.
Two bronzies he did not even know were there, came out of nowhere at warpspeed and they both" bumped" him one on either side then disappeared.
He dumped his gun ,fish,float, and bolted for the boat.
I don't blame him.
Its the one you cant see, is the worry.IMO

warti
24-04-2009, 09:44 PM
I have a shark sheild and it gave me the shits. Getting zapped in the water then forgetting to turn it off and getting zapped getting into the boat. I dont wear it anymore and dont really miss it until diving really dirty water. The more relaxed you are the better you dive.

nigelr
25-04-2009, 06:38 AM
Reel scream, find a spearing buddy and work as a pair.
Safety in numbers, I don't know, but I do know having a 'buddy' in the water makes for greater comfort and confidence and a much more relaxed frame of mind.
Also, start slowly and work up. No need to start out bluewater hunting yft out of a burley trail.......target some bream, whiting, tailor or mulloway, all of which can be caught very close inshore.
Hang out for good conditions and perfect visability, these will add immensely to your enjoyment of the situation.
Best of luck mate, I'm sure you'll regain your confidence.
Great comment from Boney-Leg re sharks and their behaviour.
Must say tho', SA spearing in WP country would surely be more than enough to put the fear up this NSW spearos' back!;D
Cheers.

disorderly
25-04-2009, 08:56 AM
Reel scream, find a spearing buddy and work as a pair.
Safety in numbers, I don't know, but I do know having a 'buddy' in the water makes for greater comfort and confidence and a much more relaxed frame of mind.

Yeah and it also reduces your chance of being attacked by 50%..;);D

boney-leg
25-04-2009, 10:08 AM
Agree about GW's - not sure I would enjoy diving SA but to dispell some myths check this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6trY0RdVEU

FNQCairns
25-04-2009, 10:31 AM
WOW he has a big set!! The perfect accessory for everyone's saltwater pool!!

I have a little experience with drugging fish..legally, I wonder how a pharmaceutically lazy and well fed Great White behaves.

Not doubting the authenticity of what they are betraying in any way, it's a cracker of a vid, someone must have a powerhead handy.

cheers fnq

ozbee
25-04-2009, 10:55 AM
maybe you just got older and smarter its always the younger telling you to get in they have less to lose

SUPERDAFF
25-04-2009, 10:58 AM
Speared as a lad for years out of SA. Had a strange swim back with fish one day and got pretty f'n spooked for no apparent reason. a lad got chomped and dead by a white bastard the next week. This is all at Aldinga SA.

Have since worked the majoriy of my life on boats I(trawlers/charter) and now, in a completely diff industry, am looking at getting back in for a swim.

I have had the bloody fear in me since the swim back from Aldinga when I was 17. I am now 37. I have never speared since. I loved it.

I went and bought a Hawian and some fins before our Yamba trip 2 weeks ago.Never went in ....Dirty water......spose i was saved by the shitty weather. I just cant get myself into water above my waist now and it shits me.

Had a dive/ snorkel up north but cant do it anywhere around here.

Cheers Scott

Scott
Try doing a scuba diving course - they're cheap as chips at the moment. Get used to the feel, the sights, the water again, controlling your breathing etc and without spearing anything. Spearing things is like holding up a big sign to toothed creatures that says "Look at me - I'm competing with you for your food - have a go you wus".

Once you have your mojo back under control through scuba diving, well, then you can dump the tank and have a go again with the spear if you feel the need.

But I've got to tell you, while I still let the odd spear fly - more and more rarely these days, there's nothing like swimming with sharks with a tank and shooting with a camera; and of course, catchin your fish from a boat.

There's also that spear fishing place over in Deshon Street at Buranda - can't remember their names - but just drive down the street and you'll see it on the left. They're hardcore.

Regards
SUPERDAFF

nigelr
25-04-2009, 11:46 AM
There are some raving loonies spearfishing in South Africa!
Honestly, it's just par for the course for those guys, GWS are local predators and they dive regardless, although with the greatest respect for, their local apex predator.There is a SA spearo site somewhere, http://www.spearo.co.za/ some of the stories the lads tell are bloodcurdling!
Interesting theory FNQ, sharkie is behaving very calmly, not like picnic day at the seal colony..................
Have to agree, it's the one you don't see that's the real worry.
Apparently the big fellas like to attack from below..........
Cheers!

reel scream
27-04-2009, 09:37 PM
After leaving SA then leaving Tas, i ended up in cairns. Did the Scuba thing up there a couple of times and felt OK. Saw some reefies and all was ok. It's this bloody colder water thing with whites that i can't get out of my head.
Had a 4mtr Tiger take a spanish off me at the side of the boat about 4 years ago in the bay here so I dont even go out past my bloody waist off the beach anymore. Shits me.

Anyway, thanks for the help/replies. Will post up if i get back in.

Cheers Scott

GBC
28-04-2009, 03:49 PM
Growing up and growing old mate.

I afraid I am going to die from getting so bloody sensible as I age!!!!

I haven't got the nuts to do half the stupid sh!t I used to do on bikes/cars/water etc etc.

You've had a couple of close calls, seen a few few things and the brain files all that info in the 'don't go back there' folder, then dredges it all back up when the triggers hit (pulling on fins etc?).

Luckily I've got rational mates who dive and who can recite facts about the numbers of shark attacks which calms me down enough.

They do silly things like tech diving, diving off atolls (3 km deep!!!), swimming with whales, sharks (deliberately) and other unthinkable crap that God never intended humans to do in the water - so it makes my occasional snorkel at Flinders more bearable.

Good luck, but I reckon your brain has reached a balance point where it says 'swimming around with a dead bleeding fish is just not worth the risk.':P

boney-leg
28-04-2009, 06:02 PM
There's also that spear fishing place over in Deshon Street at Buranda - can't remember their names - but just drive down the street and you'll see it on the left. They're hardcore.

Adrenaline are their name. I get all my gear from them - amazing store to walk around. http://www.spearfishing.com.au/ :thumbsup:

nigelr
29-04-2009, 03:18 PM
Adrenaline are their name. I get all my gear from them - amazing store to walk around. http://www.spearfishing.com.au/ :thumbsup:

Their mail-order service is excellent, they are very well informed, helpful and efficient.

FNQCairns
29-04-2009, 03:55 PM
I bought my Beuchat 1.5mm suit from them a month or so ago, there was a period between my initial contact order so they could ring me as I had a couple of questions, in between this time and when I did place a serious order over the phone, the special on the suit was finished for over a week yet they gave me the special price anyway, just took my word for it, no problem.

The saving would in effect pay for a full days spear fishing on the reef, was quite substantial. So ATM they are on the top of my list for upcoming spearfishing purchases.

Try getting that level of service in a walk in shop! at least I haven't yet.

cheers fnq

boney-leg
29-04-2009, 05:47 PM
Agreed - now I think we should all get something for this shameful promotion ::)

cuzzamundi
30-04-2009, 09:28 PM
Was hoping someone would mention Rutzen...he's a true genius! Mate as has been said, it's always the one you don't see. If you're in water with great vis and have a buddy or three, you really have VERY little to worry about! I'm always more worried about shallow water blackout when skin diving. Even then the chances are miniscule, especially if you're mindful of POTENTIAL dangers, like you are. Small steps with biggers numbers (people) and I reckon you'll be back on the proverbial mate. It's great that you're aware of the dangers...now it's time to put them back into perspective a little and give yourself another chance to enjoy the briney! Go for it...you WILL get that feeling back. Good luck mate and keep us updated.

Cuzza

Blackened
03-05-2009, 07:55 PM

Cheers Scott

G'day

Not really mate, but a wise man I know always tell me that courage is only the mastery of your fear. Work on that and you'll be ok.

Dave

dazza
16-05-2009, 06:29 AM
maybe you just got older and smarter its always the younger telling you to get in they have less to lose

older yes, smarter::)::)
cooks rocks this time of year or sunken reef are great, nice and clear, water is bloody cold though, hope my wetsuit will still fit.
what about whitpatch drop off, banksia drop off
cheers
dazza

reel scream
29-05-2009, 07:31 PM
If you get in Dazza i will follow............your the biggest target lol for the bullies and tigers around there. I was thinking more like the shallows around the oyster jetty on the mainland side in 2 ft of water, getting flatties......................oh geeze iv'e gone soft . shit!!!! .

I know once i get back from Rainbow comp fishing outside Fraser i will never get back in.

Have fun the rest of you.

Cheers

Scott

Dug
01-06-2009, 07:44 PM

I dropped in there last week for some advice on a small gun and they were just great.

They answered Margo's and my questions without any spin or hard sell.

Very impressed when I buy I will buy from them :thumbsup:

Re the Mojo thing it is a fact of medical science that the male brain does not really comprehend the concept of it's mortality untill about the age of 25.

This does vary depending on the person and situation but on average before you are 25 you believe you are immortal and cannot be hurt, harmed or killed.

Every year after 25 you become more aware that you are mortal and can be hurt or killed.

This is why so many young men die in road accidents and why armies like recruiting young soldiers.

Do what you are comfortable doing, do what you enjoy doing, if you feel uncomfortable or in danger don't do it !

Trust your feelings.

reel scream
19-09-2009, 01:06 AM
Well I jumped in for the first time in 20 years with the spear last monday!

Bloody loved it. A bit of quick breathing and looking behind for a few minutes but then felt great. Forgot how exhilerating it is. Now to upgrade to a gun and work on my fitness.

Thanks again for the previous words of encouragement from others.

Cheers
Scott