PDA

View Full Version : Kids and PFDs

Damned67
22-04-2009, 08:19 PM
Hi All,
I had a thread running the other night about my new boat (;D).
In that thread, I had the below pic included....
Anyway, I had an Ausfish member PM me with a very well written email that 'gently' asked me about me little girl's PFD. It made me realise that she only has a PFD3 NOT a PFD1. So, I'm determined to pick her up a suitable PFD1.
But here's my question:
Where can I go to have one 'professionally' fitted?
I know there's plenty of 'chains' I can buy one from, BCF, Bias, Anaconda etc, but who's going to have the training etc to properly fit one? Or am I on my own?
I have no doubt that I can find something suitable for her, but would still prefer a professional be involved....
Cheers!

rowanda
22-04-2009, 08:37 PM
hi mate
thought exactly the same thing as the person who pm'd you. I asked the same questions as you and was told.......no one. Basically I just went around the stores and tried all the different brands on to see what fitted the best. I did have one salesperson say "get the next size up to make it last longer", my response was no thanks I want my kids to live in a accident. Didin't look at price, just at fitting, but came out around $60/jacket. I have 3 kids 3,6,8 and they wear them from when they get in to when they get out, no exceptions. Good luck in your search
Rowan

jtpython
22-04-2009, 08:37 PM
I bought mine for my youngest at Tweed Coast Marine when i bought my boat
Maybe somewhere like that or a Surf and Snow shop .Somewhere that deals constantly in them?
Not sure if that helps mate
JT

stevej
22-04-2009, 08:52 PM
go to all the stores and try every model on.

once bought go down to local pool and drop the kids into the water and make sure the jacket doesnt ride up over their arms.

explain the process of what your doing to them first :), will also mean if something ever does happen they at least know how to manouver in the jackets and can help keep them selves upright

Damned67
22-04-2009, 09:06 PM
Yeah, price is of no concern. There is no price that I can put on any of my children (even if one is approaching 6ft!).....
Just want it to be right.

Tailortaker
22-04-2009, 09:08 PM
Just take them with you and try them all on and make sure it has a croutch strap to prevent them slippin out.

Hornet Rider
22-04-2009, 09:17 PM
Hi All,
I had a thread running the other night about my new boat (;D).
In that thread, I had the below pic included....
Anyway, I had an Ausfish member PM me with a very well written email that 'gently' asked me about me little girl's PFD. It made me realise that she only has a PFD3 NOT a PFD1. So, I'm determined to pick her up a suitable PFD1.
But here's my question:
Where can I go to have one 'professionally' fitted?
I know there's plenty of 'chains' I can buy one from, BCF, Bias, Anaconda etc, but who's going to have the training etc to properly fit one? Or am I on my own?
I have no doubt that I can find something suitable for her, but would still prefer a professional be involved....
Cheers!

Hi mate,

Have look here. http://www.ultrapfd.com.au/default.asp?PageID=23&n=Boating They may be able to custom make one for your daughter, or one of their children PFD1 that come in 6 different junior sizes might fit her requirements.

cheers, HR

Damned67
22-04-2009, 09:33 PM
Thank for that link, Mark. I'll see if I can get her over to Goodtime tomorrow night to check them out.
Regardless, she won't be back on the boat until she has a suitable PFD1.

With any luck, this thread might also get a few other parents to check into their kids PFDs.....

Her's was initially bought for use in the canoe (which in hindsight should have still been a PFD1), and I didn't really think about it until your PM. Thanks again for that!

sleepygreg
22-04-2009, 10:05 PM
Great to see advice given, and recieved in the positive vein it was meant. Its a testament to the forum that we should all keep in mind. The vast majority of people on here are only interested in seeking information to help them enjoy their recreation, and/or sharing information to help others enjoy their recreation. Congrats to both of you.

Cheers
Greg

danny412
22-04-2009, 10:14 PM
Just one idea I was given, put the jacket/pfd on my young bloke( 5yr old) and go swimming in a local pool or calm beach. Make sure it will hold him upright with no probs and ensure he will float face up. We have to look after the little ones because they will look after us later.

datamile
22-04-2009, 10:42 PM
Got ours from k-mart. lots of adjustable straps and reflectors.

Made sure the kids got some practice in the pool with them on so that they didn't panic etc.

Hornet Rider
22-04-2009, 11:06 PM
Just one idea I was given, put the jacket/pfd on my young bloke( 5yr old) and go swimming in a local pool or calm beach. Make sure it will hold him upright with no probs and ensure he will float face up. We have to look after the little ones because they will look after us later.

I better get you to have a quiet chat with both of my sons Danny. Both are in the army & both keep forgetting to look after me;D Could be an opening for you in tailor made PFD's, get those rigging skills going again?

cheers, HR