PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha outboard motor trailering support released

Moonlighter
21-04-2009, 09:29 PM
Just found out about this new release from Yamaha. It's a trailering support that slips over the tilt ram much the same as one Ausfisher showed us recently could be done using a boat trailer rubber roller.

See pic below and this link for more details:

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outboard/accessories/acscitemdetail/5/256/1093/9190/all/1/8045/0/detail.aspx

Looks the goods!

ML

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/accessories/500/outboardsupport2-500.jpg

Fishbait
21-04-2009, 09:39 PM
Good idea - how much??

Spaniard_King
21-04-2009, 09:41 PM
Dam, I new I shoulda Patented it :P

dnej
21-04-2009, 09:43 PM
59 dollars US

FNQCairns
21-04-2009, 09:50 PM
Dam, I new I shoulda Patented it :P

Well there you go, I have seen an aftermarket sponge one it's been for sale for 6 odd years but thats the first manufacturer one i have seen.

Gary, too late my old man was using it before me and I have been using it for over 20 years.

Is there anything new these days?? that's not computer related anyway.

cheers fnq

Fishbait
21-04-2009, 09:50 PM
Hey Garry - good idea of yours still - maybe you should patent a similar type - and do it at half the cost! I'll buy one then. Darren

Moonlighter
21-04-2009, 10:20 PM
Hey Garry!

Thought you'd be p!$$&d about not getting that patent application in quickly enough!

It will be interesting to see if they start to market them here - I'll find out from my Yamaha contacts if they intend to do that and if so, if they know what the price will be here in Aus.

Still, I reckon the modified rubber roller will be a damn sight cheaper and just as effective.

Cheers!

ML

Bazzawookooka
21-04-2009, 10:26 PM
Moonlighter,

Thanks for the post.

I've got an 80 and though I don't tow far have always been dubious about the travel lock.

If you use a roller, what do you think would be right for the end 'caps'?

Cheers,

Steve

Mad-One
22-04-2009, 05:34 AM
Gary just put Honda on it:P ;D ;D and call it a new invention::)

dreemon
22-04-2009, 07:26 AM
The design only needs to be 10% different to patent a similar item :D

Daamu
22-04-2009, 09:02 AM
You would think that yamaha would have thought up a better system of adjustment. It says that you can adjust the amount of tilt by cutting up to 1 1/2" off of the length. Wonder if you get a refund on the amount that you have to cut. If you change the length by 10% is that enough to get it patented??

Moonlighter
23-04-2009, 08:55 PM
Bazza

Not sure about the need for end "caps" - probably just need to play around with the shape of the ends so they sit neatly against the motor at both ends and don't foul/put undue pressure on anything fragile or easily marked.

I see in the Yamaha article at the above link, for example, that they say to fit it on the port-side trim rod only because (on Yammies) it will foul a grease nipple or something if put on the starboard side.

From what Garry said in an earlier thread on this topic, the hardest part might be getting a rubber roller with the correct inside diameter to slip neatly over the trim rod. But there are ways around every such obstacle, of course!

Cheers!

ML

Spaniard_King
23-04-2009, 09:00 PM
Yep,

Seeing I am buying every roller that fits in that size ;) :-[ :-[

Roughasguts
24-04-2009, 07:38 AM
Cut down one of those pool noodles the one with the hole through the middle then a piece of PVC in the right diameter and your in business for a couple of bucks. Oh yeah plus a sticker!

Now with the rest of the noodle slice it down the middle and cut some pieces to fit between your rear rollers on the trailer! and zip tie those on, and now your bow is protected from scratches if you miss the rollers.