PDA

View Full Version : Changing the Impeller on a Yamaha 75hp

Foxy4
21-04-2009, 07:22 PM
Just wondering how hard it is too replace the Impeller on a 75hp Yamaha about 1995 vintage? What are the things that you need to keep an eye on.

BaitThrower
21-04-2009, 07:54 PM
Shouldnt be too hard I'd imagine. Most impeller changes are the same across most outboards. Make sure you take everything out in order and put it back in the reverse order... A bit of grease around the inside of the impeller housing will help seat the impeller on re-assembly... Turn the drive shaft clockwise as the housing goes down over the new impeller to help align the impeller fins the right way...

Make sure you grease the drive shaft splines at the top before re-inserting and grease all other bolts too before reinserting them.

Also make sure the water uptake tube engages on the water housing grommet as you reinsert the leg.

Check YouTube... a couple good videos there on impeller replacement with some tips.

Noelm
22-04-2009, 08:18 AM
pretty easy job for the average home mechanic with basic hand tools, but depending on how long it has been since it was apart, then broken bolts could be a drama, also buy yourself a genuine manual, not a cheap CD copy or no name one.

Foxy4
22-04-2009, 09:49 AM
Thanks to you both for the info. The young fella and i have some decent tools here so we will have a go at doing it ourselves. This is not to save money from a dealer/ workshop but to give the young fella some more Hand On approach to doing maintenance..

FNQCairns
22-04-2009, 10:04 AM
Should be the same as the 90hp I suspect, 4 nuts easily viewable and one hidden bolt under that black square-ish plug on the back side...need long extension to reach it. Gear shift is silly easy it's a male female spline setup, Don't try and change gears without the engine running at any time, just set it in neutral and keep it there so the alignment upon fitting is simple.

Grease the driveshaft spline with waterproof grease and all bolts upon refitting, if it has the speedo tube fitted be carefull the lug it connets to is easly broken from personal experience.

cheers fnq