PDA

View Full Version : A day offshore on "Keely Rose"

dayoo
20-04-2009, 01:56 PM
My fishing buddy Frank and I had planned a trip offshore on "Keely Rose" late last week but the weather was predicted to be 15 to 20knots with 2.2 metre seas so I pulled out but Frank (aka the Fishing Machine) went up to Rainbow Beach and managed to get amongst the reefies last Friday although the conditions were not ideal for offshore fishing.:'(

"Keely Rose" has the same hull design and was built by the same boatbuilder that built "Alexander" the boat I do most of my offshore fishing on.

Frank went out on charter boat "Keely Rose" skippered by Ed Falconer and all on board had a good day catching a good feed of school Red Emperor, nice Maori Cod, snapper and good sized moses perch. Frank used a very light 2 to 6kg rod rigged with 9kg fluro carbon mono line and nailed most of the fish in the attached pics.:o

We have been out on "Keely Rose" a few times and have enjoyed every trip and Ed 's easy going nature. Ed even hand makes his own jig heads and I have included a pic of one of his packets and a shot of "Keely Rose".

Ed asked Frank to be the deckie on Saturday and Sunday and he only got back to Brisbane late last night and I helped him clean and fillet the fish this morning and scored a slab of Red Emperor.

Cheers
Barry

TimiBoy
20-04-2009, 02:28 PM
I hate when you post, Barry. It always puts me to shame!!!

You keeping well Mate?

Cheers,

Tim

dayoo
20-04-2009, 02:54 PM
I hate when you post, Barry. It always puts me to shame!!!

You keeping well Mate?

Cheers,

Tim

Tim,

I'm well and can't wait for the weather to settle down.

Planning trip out on "Alexander" early next week if weather improves. Might try the southern gardiners off Fraser Island or the good old Barwon Banks.

Cheers
Barry

tfish
20-04-2009, 05:23 PM
thanks for the report barry, always interesting to see whats being caught around the traps. some great fish among that lot.appreciate the effort. cheers trav!

skipalong
20-04-2009, 05:51 PM
top fish love those reds.

justin

-spiro-
20-04-2009, 07:11 PM
Hey Bazza where did he get those jig heads from?

dayoo
20-04-2009, 07:36 PM
Hey Bazza where did he get those jig heads from?

Spiro,

Ed has the moulds and he makes them himself and sells them at a very reasonable price to customers on his boat. Frank took up some lead from his old castnets so that Ed can make up a s**t load.;D

Cheers
Barry

Always_offshore
20-04-2009, 08:35 PM
a mate of mine went out last wednesday on the Keely Rose and had a great day also,good to see those reds comin onboard.

outsiderskip
20-04-2009, 08:57 PM
It always puts me to shame!!!

that tim
that not hard to do

pete

Dean1
20-04-2009, 09:23 PM
The grin on Franks face says it all! Good to see somebodys getting into em! I havent been out since I last took Frank out up north. I brought my boat back down at easter so I can smell some trips now ;D Talk soon boys. Deano.

seapup
21-04-2009, 07:12 AM
Nice work Baz!
Benny.

Fish_gutz
21-04-2009, 07:44 PM
Some great fish there , any idea on the weight of the mouri cod?( just when I thought we caught a good one(mouri) the fishing machine gets a bigger one !) nice looking jig heads also. Cheers Andrew

Benno1
21-04-2009, 08:48 PM
FANTASTIC!!!

Mrs Benno1
Sunny

jtpython
21-04-2009, 08:56 PM
Some great quality there and horse red
Is it just me or lately there are some of the biggest Mouri cod beening posted lately
Good stuff
JT

dayoo
21-04-2009, 09:22 PM
Some great quality there and horse red
Is it just me or lately there are some of the biggest Mouri cod beening posted lately
Good stuff
JT

The largest Moari cod went just over 5kg. Frank said that there were plenty and they had to move to get away from them. I've had this experience twice before off Fraser where we had to move to avoid catching too many cod. Both times were in April/May.

Cheers
Barry

Teachnthekids
22-04-2009, 12:59 PM
Terrific report and pics - cant wait for the weather to clear up down here so we can get out!

Cheers
Rob