PDA

View Full Version : Boat for Cooktown

nickstock
20-04-2009, 11:46 AM
I know that the glass verses alloy debate gets done to death but I am chasing some opinions for a boat that would be suited to fishing out of Cooktown.

I have had a few boats in the past, none of which suited me 100%. I like the ride that a fiberglass boat offers but they are not as 'hardy' as alloy.

I am open to suggestions from everyone as I want to get this boat right and keep it for a few years ect.

I dont mind buying second hand as long as it has a late model motor

Points to remember:

Cooktown is often blowing 20 knots from the s/e for approx 8-9 months of the year
80% fishing reefs 20% fishing rivers
hopefully under $30 - 35 grand mark
Needs to managed by one person
Needs to be some what drier then my current boat or the missus will seize the funds!
We plan on moving back to the Sunshine coast in 3-5 years and would like to take the boat with us.I found (online) a 509 stabi craft (second hand) . I have only ever been in a 389 fisher and was impressed in a boat that performed well above its size class.
Any comments on the stabi's for FNQ useages?

Thanks in advance for your help as I really want to get this boat right. I had my mind set up on glass until I went for a trip on Daz's boat Wahoo. A lovely ride in turd conditions.

The boat is purely a fishing boat but some protection from the elements to keep the missus happy would be nice

These are the alloy boats that I am looking at
http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=6897690

http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=6978680

http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/details.aspx?R=3007310

http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=7036465

Cheers,

Nick

nickstock
20-04-2009, 04:03 PM
If I end up going glass this is the sort of boat I am after

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=7020532

Any opinions are appreciated

Nick

Wahoo
20-04-2009, 04:23 PM
sorry Nick, i dont like any you picked...lol... the CC looks good thou, up this way, the more deadrise the better, 18* plus, them boats you have linked are IMO very under powered, did you go thru the paper over the week end? there is a few very nice Haines hunters that would suit your needs, are you up there already? you still have my number? might head up and take you out for a fish

Daz

Wahoo
20-04-2009, 04:35 PM
or even this looks great

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/vbclassified.php?do=ad&id=724

ok ok, just had a blond moment:-[ same boats;D

nickstock
20-04-2009, 06:45 PM
sorry Nick, i dont like any you picked...lol... the CC looks good thou, up this way, the more deadrise the better, 18* plus, them boats you have linked are IMO very under powered, did you go thru the paper over the week end? there is a few very nice Haines hunters that would suit your needs, are you up there already? you still have my number? might head up and take you out for a fish

Daz

Gday Daz,

Thanks for the reply, that is the advice that I need.

I just realised that the cruise craft in the link I posted is the same one that is for sale on here in the link that you posted.It is a nice looking boat.

We moved up here for good on Sunday. A nice change from the weekly trips to and from Cairns for the last few months.

You know your more then welcome anytime Daz. I saw some nice red emps getting put into an esky at the ramp last weekend!

What plate boats would you reccomend for up here Daz? That budget is about as much as I can stretch it too which is unfortunate as it is kind of an in between budget that is not enough to get a 5-5.5 meter platey built.

Nick

Flex
20-04-2009, 07:32 PM
Have you thought of getting a 5.5 platey built to hot work only? Dont bother with paint, save yourself about $4k. Do the fitout yourself, save $2-3k. Fit out is very easy and can be done over time.whack a second hand outboard on.
Im doing this myself at the moment. My budget is $35k.

I'm getting a 5.5m AMM CC Hull built for a smidge over $20k with a few options. Base Hull is only $19k.
Second hand 90 or 115hp is anywhere from $6k to $10k
and a trailer is about $2.5k second hand. that should leave you with a few thousand for electrics and hydraulic steering, and you can add more over time, which lessens the blow upon your budget.You dont need all the bells and whistles straight away. Plus you can install what "you" want.
Heck, fishing from cooktown you could install a $98 sounder from Big-W and still catch shite loads of fish..lol

Plus you get a new boat, built how you want, and far better re-sale.
Heck you could even repaint it if you wanted to sell up and get more for it than what you paid.

Wont ride as good as a Glass boat, but it'll be close. And alot more trailerable.
Also Cooktown ramp is a dog of a ramp, Very hard to solo launch heavy boats there as its subject to the tidal flow.

Anyhow, something to think of.

Wahoo
20-04-2009, 08:10 PM
G'day Nick, yes Flex has a good idea, Give Scotty at bluewater a call and see what he can do for you, there is a good 140hp zook 4 stroke on this Forum you should look into also http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/vbclassified.php?do=ad&id=731
i had a look at a few sites and found not a lot in plate boats, this is another you should look at, the new plate boat by Sea Jay, not sure on the $$$$ thou

we should hook up over the next Long weekend if the weather gods are good, would you know if there is any good houses for rent near the water for a long W/E? 4 or 5 bedroom, as Jimbo and Shane would be there also i would take it

Daz

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/4xgold0/seajayjpg1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/4xgold0/seajayjpg2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/4xgold0/seajayjpg3.jpg

Flex
20-04-2009, 09:38 PM
I looked at the Seajay Preda-King's. They are a nice boat but damn expensive.
Your looking at $45k+ for a mere 5.3m Boat.

IMO more boat manufacturers need to offer their boats with less "bling" on em. Sure alot of blokes want the smicko paint job and all the latest gadgets. But alot of blokes dont. I have a few mates who dont care if a boat is painted, or doesn't come with all the latest electronics. Those things you can do for yourself along the way. I think this is one reason why Trailcraft went down the gurgler, They didn't compramise at all in finish.
I understand boat brands need to maintain an "image" but at what cost to sales?

FNQCairns
20-04-2009, 10:00 PM
Don't like that seajay, why compromise the ride with such a large outer chine, great for hooking in corners or slow planing but a thumper in the rough. Better to just decrease the entire deadrise a couple of degree, just looks gimicy.

I am bias toward the glass boats, they ride and handle simply so well, they are tough as, all of the far north up till cooktown is piece of cake for a glass boat, good ramps and any true offshore boat is simply too large to take any further north usually so the trailering part of the equation is mute as the roads are fine at towing speeds.

All of the well respected glass boats are a goer IMO as are the plate but more research needed here as often the long term runs are not on the board with owners playing up the ride at times.

One thing though, if you choose 5.2 or 5.5 you might miss out on 1/3 of all possible trips once the thrill wears off, if you go up to 6 or 6+ then forecasts of 15kn where most of the 5m boats owners choose to go golfing instead, the 6m owners are still in the zone.

cheers fnq

nickstock
21-04-2009, 08:24 AM
Thanks for the replys guys.

Daz,
Like Flex I also got a price on the Preda King from Mitchell's Marine in Cairns. They wanted 56K for the 5.3 which IMO is outlantish for what is offered.
I have thought about getting something built but I dont want to run out of funds mid way and have a boat that I cant fish from.

Also Daz, I will have a look at houses today for you. I have a spare double bed in a room up here and two swags for the boys to sleep on in the lounge room if they want.

Flex,
Thanks for the ideas. I like the idea of getting a boat built and like you said, I dont need a pretty paint job to catch fish. The only issues I can see is my finances running out if I am not savy with how I spend it.

FNQ,
Thanks for the pointers. I probably would not be towing it much further north of Cooktown. I agree with you in regards to the size. The only thing is that the finances wont allow a later model 6 meter boat. In regards to the weather , as long as it is safe for the boat I dont mind fishing in less then desireable conditions. Due to the fact that I often fish out the reef by my self, a sea worthy boat is a must.

It looks like I have somehome work to do. I am not going to rush this boat and it may take 3 months or more to get it sorted.

Bluewater and AMM both make unreal boats, if I got one built with out the 'extra's' and depending on dollars they could be an option that I thought was out of the budget.

Cheers,

Nick

Flex
21-04-2009, 10:19 AM
Its a tough choice isn't it Nick:)

I went through the same thing myself. I live in central QLD and fish all up and down the coast with a smaller boat, so now im getting a bit bigger.
Trying to decide what type of boat to upgrade to is damn hard.
There a thousands of 5.5-5.8m Glass boats out there. 95% of em Half/cuddy cabs. There's not many decent Glass centre consoles out there.

But I feel to maximize your fishing in north QLD a centre console is best. You can plastic fish reef edges, bottom bash,cast poppers/slugs at pelagics, fish creeks, and drift fish so much easier with a Centre console. Its a matter of opinion though I suppose.

Before I decided on my purchase I looked everywhere for a decent Glass console/or at least centre cab set up in 6m or less that wasn't the price of a small house.

All I found was Haines 542CC. Which has such a small fuel tank its rediculous, aswell as a bulky CC.
Seafarer Vogue, Small fuel tank, Ok layout but rare as hens teeth.
Im not sure if either are self drainers?
Then theres Hooker,Galeforce have very low freeboard,small beam.Self draining, but not really Ideal I feel.
And theres not many half decent plateys under 6m for less than $40K as you would have noticed:)

Smithy
21-04-2009, 10:32 AM
Call into the Lure Shop and talk to my mate Russell that owns it and ask what he reckons. He is an Ausfisher so mention it in your conversation. I have been smashed in his 702 Signature that I was part shares with him on and also another mates 6.2 Seafarer Vagabond up there. I would be aiming for a cat. Any cat. Be prepared to sit on shore for long periods of time living up there. It is one of the windiest places around along with Bowen and Rainbow Beach. Dunno if plateys are the right thing for up there either. Most of the live trout boats there have tiller steer glass boats. That might be saying something. A longboat style trout dory sorta thing might be the go. Another guy I know up there, Paul, has a 5.5 Trailcraft. He gets bashed too and wishes he had something else. Not an easy decision other than some sort of cat.

finding_time
21-04-2009, 11:00 AM
Call into the Lure Shop and talk to my mate Russell that owns it and ask what he reckons. He is an Ausfisher so mention it in your conversation. I have been smashed in his 702 Signature that I was part shares with him on and also another mates 6.2 Seafarer Vagabond up there. I would be aiming for a cat. Any cat. Be prepared to sit on shore for long periods of time living up there. It is one of the windiest places around along with Bowen and Rainbow Beach. Dunno if plateys are the right thing for up there either. Most of the live trout boats there have tiller steer glass boats. That might be saying something. A longboat style trout dory sorta thing might be the go. Another guy I know up there, Paul, has a 5.5 Trailcraft. He gets bashed too and wishes he had something else. Not an easy decision other than some sort of cat.

Gees Rob

Dont you listen to the experts, CATS DONT WORK IN NQ !!!!! the chop is TOOOO big!!! Bawhawhawhawhawhawhawhaw!!!!:o :o :o :o ;) :-X;D :-X

Ian

Flex
21-04-2009, 11:19 AM
Yeah the trade winds in Cooktown have to be experienced to be believed. When the weather is good the whole place shuts down and everyone goes fishing..lol. I have been up there and had 25knot+ winds for 3 weeks straight. Day and nights, its relentless. you dont believe it until you are there. You end up hating the wind so bad.

During summer its not so bad as the trade winds aren't around, but you have to then watch out for cyclones:)

nickstock
21-04-2009, 11:26 AM

Gday Smithy,
I have been in and met Russell, he is a top bloke.
I dont think that I could afford a decent cat for 35K? Most of my offshore fishing on the Sunnycoast was done in a cat (a 30 footer mind you) but I have no experience what so ever in any cats smaller.

I currently have a 5.1 meter Javelin which is a FNQ made boat for the live Trout guys. Tiller steer,self draining, live wells , kill pen ect 75hp yam on it. It is a top boat when the weather is less then about 10-12 knots but anymore then that I get saturated. They are a drier boat then the Hookers of the same size ect. It is a very sea worthy boat for it's size but not overly comfortable in chop over 15 knots. I feel safe in the actual boat and have come home in 20+ knot n/e but it is a very slow and wet ride.

What are your views on the 509 stabi craft?

I am only 23 and with house payments and all the rest of it,I cant afford to be buying another boat every year (which is what I have been doing). This next boat will hopefully do me for at least 3-5 years.

Nick

Smithy
21-04-2009, 01:13 PM
Stinky Stabi on here has the little Stabi along with Vertico. They love them. I had Tono from Stinky blast past me one arvo when I was in the 609 but I had customers aboard so I was taking it easy. He was getting plenty of air and hasn't killed his yet after a few Allycrafts and things like that which he did kill. I think it was from the 559 up where the deadrise angle changes and mine definately carries from good V for a platey.

The best boats are always someone elses. Join the fishing club and get in with Russ/Paul/Cam and all the boys and go out with them for a while and work out what works and what doesn't. Keep fishing your boat for a bit then. On the good days the barra charter guys like Len and Mark take their CCC supapunts up to headland and that and out to the wrecks and reefs. You may have to wait till the duldrums come in November though.

SnowE
21-04-2009, 06:28 PM
Hi Nick,

I'm not sure if you have looked at the Polycraft boats or not, they seem to be a love/hate kind of boat.

I am in Townsville, and have a 5.3mt Polycraft in a Bowrider configuration, I find it to be a pretty good rig for going offshore and a bit of river fishing as well. It is a wet boat though, and if you can get away with it I would recommend the cuddy cab version as a drier offshore option.

They are a bit power hungry, so you need to be putting on max hp, its to do with the hull shape and the flexibility of the plastic. Most of them that I have looked at (mine certainly) have minor whoops and hollows along the bottom when you look at them, this is a negative as it must create unwanted extra drag when moving through the water.

Having said all that, I love mine as it is very sturdy and almost maintenance free. The Bowrider in the Polycraft has a flat floor in the front section that is kept low, so it makes a perfect casting platform that is still safe offshore, as it is low enough to be safe.

They also have 3x hatches in the front, I use them as eskies, as the hull is twin skinned and filled with foam around these "eskies", they do not work as well as a "normal" esky, but it works well enough to still have ice after a long days fishing, and the centre one is pretty darned big, it makes a great place for your fish in a slurry.

Cheers,
SnowE

bushbeachboy
22-04-2009, 02:37 PM
Nick if you are thinking about a Polycraft, have a look on www.polyboatowners.com (http://www.polyboatowners.com) They are a friendly crew and only too happy to answer your questions. The 5.3 models are a heavy hull. They had a good write-up in Fisherman & Boatowner Mag.
http://www.seamedia.com.au/pdf/previews/BTSENG198_prev.pdf

nickstock
22-04-2009, 02:39 PM
Thanks guys,
SnowE, I had a look at the polys before I bought my last boat but the are not my cup of tea. I am unsure why but just not for me.

I have got a quote from Bluewater for their 5.3, hot work only and a trailer which seems very competitive. That 140 zuk in the classifieds on here is a bargin. It is a pitty that I do not know what I am doing yet as it is a great buy.

After talking to a few of the locals, they seem to think that for a good portion of the year you wont be fishing wide even in a 6.5 meter boat.

If that is the case perhaps I would be better off with a 4.8 - 5.3 sized boat as I can still poke around in the rivers.

Nick

Pazz01
22-04-2009, 03:22 PM
Nick,

Cooktown has a very good reputation for blowing most of the year. Might be better off going in the smaller side and save a few penny's.

Even in Cairns we are having trouble getting out enough in a 6.4m boat.

Can't do much about the weather.

Good luck with your choice.

Pazz

GAD
22-04-2009, 04:41 PM
Cooktown and wind , well like has been said 90% of the time it's blowing a gale , when its not the town is dead , they're all fishing , and great fishing when you can get out and in the creeks is not to shabby either , only a short drive to places like Starkie rv , Lakefield , Bathurst and Princess Charlot bay. Lots of fishing and exploring to do up that way . Some of the best fishing up there is in the small un-named creeks and you are locked in with the tide, great fishing were the jacks are fighting each other to get the lure and big metre + headland barra come in and out with the tide, and visual sight fishing in the clear waters . In reality you need two boats to fish it all a 3-4 metre tinnie for the creeks and crab pots and a 5+ metre boat for the reef .

Greg

nickstock
08-05-2009, 01:31 PM
Yeah the trade winds in Cooktown have to be experienced to be believed. When the weather is good the whole place shuts down and everyone goes fishing..lol. I have been up there and had 25knot+ winds for 3 weeks straight. Day and nights, its relentless. you dont believe it until you are there. You end up hating the wind so bad.

During summer its not so bad as the trade winds aren't around, but you have to then watch out for cyclones:)

You are dead right Flex,

Over 3 weeks of 20-25 and 25-30 knot winds;D . People in boats under 7 meters are not getting out as of late.

I am unsure of glass or plate as yet but have decided to stay under 5.5 meters so I can still fish the rivers ect.

stinky-stabi
08-05-2009, 07:05 PM
Gday Smithy,
I have been in and met Russell, he is a top bloke.
I dont think that I could afford a decent cat for 35K? Most of my offshore fishing on the Sunnycoast was done in a cat (a 30 footer mind you) but I have no experience what so ever in any cats smaller.

I currently have a 5.1 meter Javelin which is a FNQ made boat for the live Trout guys. Tiller steer,self draining, live wells , kill pen ect 75hp yam on it. It is a top boat when the weather is less then about 10-12 knots but anymore then that I get saturated. They are a drier boat then the Hookers of the same size ect. It is a very sea worthy boat for it's size but not overly comfortable in chop over 15 knots. I feel safe in the actual boat and have come home in 20+ knot n/e but it is a very slow and wet ride.

What are your views on the 509 stabi craft?

I am only 23 and with house payments and all the rest of it,I cant afford to be buying another boat every year (which is what I have been doing). This next boat will hopefully do me for at least 3-5 years.

Nick

nick there is a 1990 5m shark cat on boatsales.com. or boatpoint 2 owners real good nick 14000 ..with that you could afford two brand new donks ???? just a thought ,,, i spoke to the fella who had it and he needs to sell quickly?

siegfried
08-05-2009, 09:24 PM
That 140 zuki would be gun on a 17 foot Haines, top rig and in their class you wont find anything softer. You may find one you could sell the existing motor off and pop on a 4stk and still have money for beer and smokes....I doubt any 6-6.5 m platey would blow wind up its date in the rough.

nickstock
20-05-2009, 01:14 PM
I would be aiming for a cat. Any cat. Be prepared to sit on shore for long periods of time living up there. It is one of the windiest places around along with Bowen and Rainbow Beach. Not an easy decision other than some sort of cat.

What about an alloy cat or does it defeat the purpose?

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=7107371

Nick

finding_time
20-05-2009, 01:44 PM
It would be fine Nick! A mate of Smithy's owned one that was very similar and has been out on it in ordinary wheather so he should be able to give you a good wrap up of the boat performance. Your going to get a lot of boat for that money there pretty big!

Ian

ps

If you are interested you should get a mobile mechanic like garry ( spaniard king) to give those motors a once over;)

Matt_F
20-05-2009, 02:40 PM
Nick,

I've fished up that way a bit. I was up at Lizard for a week driving the research station cat. It's a 6m Cairns custom craft cat. I was very impressed by the ride. It had twin 90 mariner 2 strokes on it, for memory WOT was about 33 knots, was very thirsty though. My only main complaint was in the rough stuff 20knots or more and she was very wet. It wasn't a problem for us as with the cabin but not sure I would be keen on a CC without some sort of spray protection. We traveled to the outer reef a few times in solid 20kt winds and it was definitly not uncomfortable. Maybe something in the 5.6 to 5.8 range with a single motor (like the Bogger cats) would suit you. Some food for thought.

Cheers.

Smithy
20-05-2009, 05:25 PM
That is Warren Steptoe's old boat. A good bit of gear but horrendously wet. He did build a little telephone box of clears around it in the end. Worth a shot if you repowered with 4 bangers but that is going to kill your budget.