PDA

View Full Version : NOOSA BAR CROSSING - no jacket required ??

uripper
20-04-2009, 11:11 AM
Was astounded to witness Saturday morning half a dozen or more boats crossing Noosa Bar with none of the occupants apparently wearing life jackets. :o :o

I was within 20-30m of most passing boats at the entrance to the river just inside the bar, a few were a little further away so let's give them the benefit of the doubt.

Bar conditions were mild with about a half metre swell halfway through a runout tide. The water was a filthy chocolate colour due to recent heavy rains so depth of water was not obvious if using watercolour as a gauge. There was a small and relatively consistent braking wave of about two or three feet right across the front of the river mouth outer bar sandbank. After observing conditions and other boats, the best course seem to be a dogleg to the left, then turn right through an apparent passage where waves did not break as regularly. We were there for some R&R exploring planning only to stay inside on the river. After some deliberation and consultation with my loved ones (my lady + my boat) we crossed without incident (like jackets on of course) and had a pleasant morning on the water around the immediate Noosa heads locality. Incidentally, we encountered some rather bigger green swells outside - easily 3 m - wonder what they turned into by the time they got to the bar? We returned late morning about an hour and a half of the tide running in, again with ease and without incident. Both ways I recorded a minimum depth of 1.6 m in what I would describe as small but potentially nasty conditions mainly due to lack of water visibility.

There are two things that I will never forget:

three guys in a 4 to 5 m centre console tinnie, none wearing life jackets, who crossed without pausing to check conditions, straight through the guts of the bar over what I consider would have been the shallowest portion, getting half the airborne two or three times
a local charter boat (no names mentioned) of about 7 to 8 m in length with six POB, again none wearing life jacketsI am not a regular bar crosser though have many hours of experience in a surfboat and other life-saving craft courtesy of younger days at the Caloundra bar. Perhaps this has contributed to by now cautious approach to bar crossings.

I would be interested in your views particularly those of you who cross this bar regularly.

MalM

kokomo
20-04-2009, 11:28 AM
if the boat is greater the 4.8m i dont think you have to wear a life jacket

kokomo
20-04-2009, 11:31 AM
from google... this was 2006

From April 1 the master or owner of any commercial, fishing or recreational open boat under 4.8m which is required to carry life jackets must ensure that:

http://www.qorf.org.au/00_graphics/bullet.gifall children under 12 on board wear an appropriate life jacket or personal flotation device when the boat is underway; and http://www.qorf.org.au/00_graphics/bullet.gifeveryone on board wears an appropriate life jacket or personal flotation device when the boat is crossing designated bars.

edit to add:
An open boat is defined as a boat that doesn't have a permanent rigid deckhouse, cabin, or other enclosed space suitable for a person to occupy.

GBC
20-04-2009, 12:48 PM
Plus if you bugger up the Noosa bar you can always get out and walk:P

Mindi
20-04-2009, 05:07 PM
mate I used to volunteer at Noosa CG and three blokes in a 4.5 CC on a good day is not even worth worrying about.... lots of under 4M boats go through there in worse conditions than that and quite a few capsize too.... then expect to be rescued if they dont notice they can walk..lifejacket..? what lifejacket...!

sempre
20-04-2009, 06:50 PM
I quite often pass through that bar , and frankly 50% of the time i could reverse through it , you got to remember a 3 to 4 foot swell doesnt really bother a boat in the 7-10 meter range .Without being to much of a sinic , as mentioned above , there is specific rules to boat size and the requirements of jackets and i suppose most people go by those rules to the exact size.
Sam..

uripper
21-04-2009, 07:23 AM
Thanks for your input fellas

Seems kokomo is spot-on about the regs applying to vessels below 4.8m

found the following on current msq website
http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/Home/Publications/

It is compulsory to wear a lifejacket:

when crossing a coastal bar in an open boat that is less than 4.8 metres (m) in length
if you are under the age of 12 in an open boat that is less than 4.8 m in length, while it is underway.this is also a useful general advice brochure http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/resources/file/eb16730a27f0197/barcrossing_brochure_03_06.pdf

each to their own I suppose :-/

I for one will continue to wear jackets on every bar crossing (with epirb & safety grab bag close at hand) regardless of conditions

cheers, MalM

finga
21-04-2009, 08:17 AM
We used to do it before the wearing was mandatory in NSW.
Easy way to try the jacket on just in case and a bit safer in the crossing.
But that's Evans.

How many have actually fitted their jackets on so they can be put on in a hurry without adjusting straps and stuff?
How many actually know how the jackets go on? Especially those $15 specials with just straps.
You see so many still in the plastic they come with.

Astro
21-04-2009, 08:47 AM
Couple of years ago, my dads friend went for a trip to sunshine reef and my grandpa and a few of his mates on board, on the way out about 50-100m past the bar, a freak wave went over the boat and flipped it, all passanger's had fallen out of the boat except my grandpa who ended up underneath the boat. Thinking now if he had a life jacket on, I dont think they would have got him out from underneath the boat.

Its only dangerous to the people who dont respect it.

uripper
21-04-2009, 03:45 PM
... Thinking now if he had a life jacket on, I dont think they would have got him out from underneath the boat.

That maybe highlights one of the advantages of inflatable life jackets.
I have been for a dip with mine & found them easy to swim & dive with.:)

Yes they cost a bit more but what % fraction of the boat & gear value? ... not to mention that priceless other asset - life !

MalM

kokomo
21-04-2009, 04:26 PM
yeah i highly rate inflattable life jackets..

can debate if the Auto or manual inflate is better...

ffejsmada
21-04-2009, 05:32 PM
When we were into the Longtails about a month ago, the police were on patrol on jetskis making people don their jackets in smaller boats before they crossed the bar.

They were also checking boats outside for safety gear.

It's a bit of an obscure law I reckon, as not many seem to worry about jackets.

bob f 57
21-04-2009, 06:06 PM
when it comes to bar crossings a fool and his boat are easy parted i all ways were mine and insist that all on board do so to!!!
cheers bob

Dantren
21-04-2009, 08:10 PM
It's a bit of an obscure law I reckon, as not many seem to worry about jackets.

Not many people worry about getting on the coast guard log either.....
Especially when the weather is good.

Mike Delisser
21-04-2009, 08:23 PM
I am not a regular bar crosser though have many hours of experience in a surfboat and other life-saving craft courtesy of younger days at the Caloundra bar. Perhaps this has contributed to by now cautious approach to bar crossings.
MalM

You weren't in Met's SLSC were you Mal???
I was there from about 1990 to 2000. I wasn't in the surfboats though, boards, ski & ruber duckie were my go.
Cheers
Mike

sleepygreg
21-04-2009, 09:51 PM
IMHO....ANY bar crossing....all POB's on deck and jackets on...no one in cabins etc. Have been using this method as SOP for 30 years....before it was regulated. But then...I cut my teeth on the Narooma, Camden Haven and Port Macquarie bars. Can go from benign to deadly in one set or waves....have seen boats come to grief on the Nambucca bar on a glassed out day......one lone swell stands up when least expected....in seconds boat is upside down and crew are in the drink. Have seen 6 - 7m cats go over on the Narooma bar....in average conditions....slight angle into the wave...next wave a bit closer than expected...power not applied correctly....boat flipped over...crew in the drink. Worthy to note...nearly (but not all) these occured going OUT, which is the opposite to what most inexperienced boaties are worried about....coming IN. I would suggest anyone wanting to attempt bar crossings but inexperienced in doing so, do the course that is run on the gold coast, by Bill Corten...it could just save your life (and your crew/family). Maybe im just ultra conservative because i am not a strong swimmer.....but still...better to be safe than sorry.

My two cents.

Cheers
Greg

PS.. Dont know Bill Corten personally, but have spoken to many that have done the course, well worth the money from what I can gather.....will give them skills and info it has taken me many years to get, in one day. Just remember....respect the sea...it takes no prisoners.

uripper
22-04-2009, 07:56 AM
You weren't in Met's SLSC were you Mal???
I was there from about 1990 to 2000. I wasn't in the surfboats though, boards, ski & ruber duckie were my go.
Cheers
Mike

Hi Mike

Guess Im a little older than you.;)
Did 2 stints at MetCal 1973-74 then 1979-1982.
Real men row boats right?? ;D ;D
Leave that other crap to the girls. (kidding)
Great activity for growing young men (& women these days).
Some very happy, funny & scary memories (Wanda beach National Champs 1981 - HUGE surf, smashed gear, bloodied competitors etc - but we survived somehow)8-) 8-)

MalM

PS :apologies - I'm hyjacking my own post:-[

kokomo
22-04-2009, 08:28 AM
Few years ago I had an interesting scenario where we crossed south passage bar in the morning in borderline conditions.

went out and fished the group etc in millpond conditions.

When we came in the bar was much worse and effectively the surf beach between stradi and moreton were joined up and there was no clear way in.

We went up and back numerous times looking for the channel..

Hour or so later we were thinking if we had enough fuel to go around the cape! or drop anchor and wait for a boat etc...

We were blessed when a boat doing a bar course came through and we followed him in!

Less of a problem now with GPS but still it was an important lesson to think about. Bar conditions on the way out vs conditions on the way back in..

White Pointer
22-04-2009, 06:09 PM
G'day,

If your seat belt in the car wouldn't buckle or the airbag warning light stayed on would you worry? Would you ignore it?

Are your PFDs for you and regular passengers ready to put on without delay? Do you put them on routinely at bar crossings or whenever the sea gets up?

Is your radio in working order? Have you tested it with a VMR over distance just to assess power and whether the aerial is working properly?

Do you know how to get to your EPIRB quickly and switch it on?

When was the last time you made a practice recovery of a man overboard?

A couple of very experienced guys died off Cape Moreton a few weeks ago. It has been reported that none of their safety gear was used. I know I'm not as good as they were.

I will learn from that so that their loss is not in vain.

White Pointer

uripper
22-04-2009, 06:54 PM
A couple of very experienced guys died off Cape Moreton a few weeks ago. It has been reported that none of their safety gear was used. I know I'm not as good as they were. I will learn from that so that their loss is not in vain.
White Pointer

well said - as in another thread, the loss of 2 experienced boaties /fishermen so suddenly & without apparent distress signals of any type just chills me & again with utmost respect to them, their families & friends, I sincerely hope we can learn something about what went wrong in the hope that others (me included) can learn from this tragedy.

MalM

QF3 MROCP
22-04-2009, 11:07 PM
G'day,

If your seat belt in the car wouldn't buckle or the airbag warning light stayed on would you worry? Would you ignore it?

Are your PFDs for you and regular passengers ready to put on without delay? Do you put them on routinely at bar crossings or whenever the sea gets up?

Is your radio in working order? Have you tested it with a VMR over distance just to assess power and whether the aerial is working properly?

Do you know how to get to your EPIRB quickly and switch it on?

When was the last time you made a practice recovery of a man overboard?

A couple of very experienced guys died off Cape Moreton a few weeks ago. It has been reported that none of their safety gear was used. I know I'm not as good as they were.

I will learn from that so that their loss is not in vain.

White Pointer

White Pointer - sounds like you have been to one of the radio courses at CG Redcliffe and were LISTENING.

ALL great statements you have made... everyone take note!!!

P

kokomo
23-04-2009, 09:27 AM
Is there a thread that explains what happend off cape moreton yet??

very sad and i want to learn

Goldfinch
23-04-2009, 04:58 PM
I always don the life jackets before crossing any bar. I just feel it's my responsibility to offer the safest conditions possible to my fellow passengers. My boat is 6.5m and handles pretty rough conditions. Can never be too careful I say.

Dave

Mindi
23-04-2009, 08:46 PM
Is there a thread that explains what happend off cape moreton yet??

very sad and i want to learn

Yes good point, particularly as the lost men were experienced boat operators as I understand it... I guess as nobody survived there may not be much more information available to any investigation....?

Tewantin
02-05-2009, 05:19 AM
Have seen 6 - 7m cats go over on the Narooma bar....in average conditions....slight angle into the wave...next wave a bit closer than expected...power not applied correctly....boat flipped over...crew in the drink. Worthy to note...nearly (but not all) these occured going OUT, which is the opposite to what most inexperienced boaties are worried about....coming IN.
My two cents.

Cheers
Greg

I read this post with interest having spent over 25 years negotiating the Narooma bar. I can tell you that after personally witnessing 3 boats get swamped ( I wonder if the Shark Cat you saw was the same one I also saw charge out 45 degrees into a 3-4 metre breaker and come down on its motors), and being in the town when the siren went off on another couple of occasions, any fool that doesn't take the appropriate precautions when crossing any bar entrance including wearing a life jacket deserves a bloody good whack over the left ear.
I realise they're 2 very different bar crossings, one deep & the other shallow but that still doesn't excuse putting yourself or others at risk of injury or worse.

capt. mud
03-05-2009, 12:54 PM
Even people with life jackets on...forget to pack their brain!

TJ Bear
03-05-2009, 01:29 PM
I'm an ultra conservative big girl when it comes to safety, I do a lot of fishing solo (even game fish solo) and I wear an inflatable PFD type 1 from when I get on the boat till I get off, also rigged a small pouch that has a waterproof Icom VHF and a McMurdo Fastfind MaxG PLB (406 GPS EPIRB) that sits behind me like a bum bag. I also have a auto deploy GME 406 EPIRB on the boat and an Icom DSC VHF which is linked to my plotter.

I also come from down south and used to go through the Narooma Bar, Merimbula Bar and Pambula Bar now I go through the Pin Bar, Gold Coast Seaway, Tweed Bar, Sanden Bar etc and if you get in my boat you wear a inflatable PFD (I bought 5 for the boat) if you don't like it, tough stay ashore.

The way I see it most of the time trailer boats go down it all happens in a hurry and I want to have a VHF, EPIRB and PFD Type 1 on me.
:)

sleepygreg
03-05-2009, 11:23 PM
Tewantin, Could very well have been....I used to go to narooma for the ANSA conventions, and on other weekends during the year, from 1978 - 1998, and have quite a few relos living down there that I visit. And for those of you that want to fish outside at Pt Stephens and think it doesnt have a bar.....be afraid....be very afraid....it is a deepwater bar that can get VERY nasty when you least expect it. I think that many people get caught out on the so called 'safe' bars (there really is no such thing) because they get complacent, over confident or just lack knowledge and/or experience crossing bars. I consider Narooma to be a relatively safe bar to cross (note RELATIVELY) because it is a deep bar, and relatively short.....compared to the Port Macqaurie Bar....which is much shallower....but is also about 500m long....so you have to negotiate many more pressure waves over a longer period of time. But I think the secret is to know when NOT to try crossing the bar....there is always tomorrow.

Greg