PDA

View Full Version : Allison189 -Water Around Powerhead

danielw
20-04-2009, 10:27 AM
G'day.I've bought an Allison Fisherman 189 with a Suzuki 140 and have found that at low revs (between idle and planing)a lot of water builds up around the powerhead but soon clears when planing.Is this common on this hull and is it due to the pod design?The engine has one more hole that it can be lifted to but it isn't a problem at planing speeds.I plan on fitting trim tabs later and wondered if this would help. Cheers.

Noelm
20-04-2009, 01:02 PM
lots of Boats suffer from this problem, some worse than others of course, but as long as it does not "drown" the power head and you are not running like that for a long period then it will probably be OK.

peterbo3
20-04-2009, 03:09 PM
Are you getting seawater INSIDE the cowling or does it remain dry?

danielw
20-04-2009, 03:45 PM
It stays dry but I'm just not used to it being up so high.I'm thinking with tabs on ,the period that it happens will be shorter as it should jump onto the plane quicker.Maybe I should just get used to it.

peterbo3
20-04-2009, 03:52 PM
Tabs will help by pushing the nose down. The cowl sealing system on the two Suzis I have owned seemed pretty robust. Do you trim the motor right in at lower revs before you punch it onto the plane?

siegfried
20-04-2009, 07:09 PM
PM ME MATE iVE HAD A BIT TO DO WITH THEM (could be my old boat)

finding_time
20-04-2009, 07:20 PM
Daniel

Mate my current boat is a cat and the one before that was a southwind longboat both have engines that are near to the water and in any swell dip lower, as long as the cowl is fitted well and you dont notice much salt residue around the power head when inspecting you dont have a problem! Engine cowls are pretty well designed these days!

Ian

Ps. One thing to watch is when you come off the plane dont do it to quickly , just ease it back slowly as if you do it quickly you will put a wave over the engine from the wrong direction every time!;)

tin can marlin
20-04-2009, 11:12 PM
contact Bruce Allison you are better off going to the top as they know a lot more about the design of there boats than any of us. Real nice guy i have meet him at Theo's old yard before will be happy to take your call.