PDA

View Full Version : Outboard problem

muddypete
20-04-2009, 10:13 AM
Have a 2002 yamaha 4hp 4 stroke
Good little motor starts first time everytime and uses bugger all fuel.;D
Great for crabbing in the creek
Problem :-/ I have encountered is that at about half throttle the motor starts overrevving. Prop seems to be okay (a little bit chippy) bush seems to be okay and gearbox oil is nice and clear and full.
Took spark plug out and put the gearbox into reverse. turning the prop either way and the piston moves. when I do the same thing in forward gear the piston moves when turning the prop the wrong way and when turning the prop the correct way doesn't seem to connect properly and gives a clicking sound?
I can put the boat in the water and run around quite happily for hours at mid throttle no probs but when the revs hit a certain pitch the over revving starts.
Any ideas? I thought there might be some adjustment that can be made to fix the problem as it sounds like either a cog is worn or the gear is not completely meshing?
Also can anybody recommend a good outboard mechanic in the redlands shire area.
Happy fishing

FNQCairns
20-04-2009, 10:26 AM
Do you mean over reving as in slip then grab like ventilation on lumpy water or poor trim can cause or do you mean it starts to rev but without acceleration to match and never grabs properly until revs are reduced? If this then the prop bush is stuffed and will only get worse.

cheers fnq

muddypete
20-04-2009, 11:07 AM
Thanks FNQ Yes it starts to rev without any additional acceleration and the only way to stop the revs is back off the throttle and keep on going at half throttle.
I have just taken the prop off and the bush seems to be okay? but then I am no mechanic. Is there an easy way to check or just take it in for rebushing?
Regards
Peter

Noelm
20-04-2009, 11:37 AM
first off, you will get much more help if you post in the Boating section, but there is a couple of no cost ways to check the bush, one is borrow a prop from a friend, (best method) if that is not possible, then mark the prop and bush, then go for a run, if the marks no longer line up, then you have a "spun" bush.

muddypete
20-04-2009, 01:26 PM
Thanks for the help;D
Marked the prop and bush and gave it a good burl in a large covered container of water
Not as much pressure as if it was pushing a boat but enough to knock the marks out of alignment.
Bugger me I would have though the bush looked okay.
Marineworx at capalaba have quoted about $50 to fix so I'm a happy little vegemite.
Looks like land based fishing for the week (damn):(
Thanks for the info
Muddypete

Scott Ashe
21-04-2009, 12:22 PM
Hi mate,

Sorry can't help with your problem, but I am a fellow Redland resident (Redland Bay) and I'd recomend Wynnum Marine. They have good mechanics and they are a qualified Yamaha dealer/service centre. I bought my new Yamaha fourstroke 25 from them in 2007.

Cheers
Scott