PDA

View Full Version : Where to fish in Coffs with 4.6m tinnie

QuinnyDory
19-04-2009, 07:19 PM
Hi,

Ive recently moved to Sawtel/Toormina just South of Coffs Harbour previously from Central coast where i used to fish the estuaries and near offshore. I have a 4.6m Qunitrex Dory - not a big boat but I can handle it by myself and it copes with care.

Im wondering, there does not seem to be alot of boat ramps up this way, probably because its mostly coastal and few bays. The local creeks like Bonville and Boambee are not really fishable in a boat this size - high tide only at best. Most days Ive checked out Coffs harbour ramp the weather is pretty wild and I wouldnt venture out in a boat my size.

Im thinking of selling and downsizing to say a 3.75 punt i can fish the creeks in. Any suggestions on locations I can launch my boat and fish in reasonably sheltered area - dont mind crossing a quiet bar and do not venture more than 1km offshore in this boat ever. At this stage thinking of becoming a landbased fisher if I cant get out in the boat regularly.

thanks, Darren.

mylestom
19-04-2009, 08:17 PM
Hi,

Ive recently moved to Sawtel/Toormina just South of Coffs Harbour previously from Central coast where i used to fish the estuaries and near offshore. I have a 4.6m Qunitrex Dory - not a big boat but I can handle it by myself and it copes with care.

Im wondering, there does not seem to be alot of boat ramps up this way, probably because its mostly coastal and few bays. The local creeks like Bonville and Boambee are not really fishable in a boat this size - high tide only at best. Most days Ive checked out Coffs harbour ramp the weather is pretty wild and I wouldnt venture out in a boat my size.

Im thinking of selling and downsizing to say a 3.75 punt i can fish the creeks in. Any suggestions on locations I can launch my boat and fish in reasonably sheltered area - dont mind crossing a quiet bar and do not venture more than 1km offshore in this boat ever. At this stage thinking of becoming a landbased fisher if I cant get out in the boat regularly.

thanks, Darren.

Darren,

Lots of options in the area, Beach launching at Third headland via the club Tractor, Urunga fishing club.

Bellinger and Kalang rivers have lots of areas, Ramps and Mylestom and Urunga. Then you have Deep Creek, also the Nambucca system.

Depends on what else you utilise the boat for. Talk to the helpful staff at Fish ing Tackle Aus at Coffs and they will give you heaps of options as well.

Depends on the type of fishing your prefer, also remember what you also do on your holidays and where you like to go fishing. Seems silly to downsize if you don't have to. Give it a fair bit of thought and talk to a few locals first to suss out what is best for your individual circumstance.

Regards

Trev

Pete62
19-04-2009, 08:37 PM
Hey Darren, mate my idea is the boat size u have is probably one of the best multi use rigs for the area if u like to fish close inshore and the estuaries.
As Trev mentioned the Bellinger/Kalang system offers heaps of options and even Bonville can be negotiated at the lower ends of the tide with a bit of local knowledge.

As far as offshore goes, I fish plenty of good close reef in my 4.5. Coming into winter the close reefs will provide some great snapper fishing.

If it helps, a few hours around Urunga and Bonville will reveal heaps of options for u.
A few marks offshore and u r set.

Pete.

melony
20-04-2009, 05:52 AM
Hi QuinnyDory sorry to borrow your thread but this may help yourself as well.

mylestom, is there any earth ramps or easly accesed ways into deep creek as i enjoy fishing this creek by foot but have always wanted to throw the boat in and have a good hard hit at it and maybe a crab as well,

any info would be awesome

Thanks Melony

Zooter
20-04-2009, 09:46 AM
M8 i am looking at getting out in my 4.1 next week if i find some good fish i will PM some Marks if you have GPS?

Heading out for a walk on the urunga wall 2day to check bar, A M8 told me that the floods have guttered the river of all that annoying sand that was built up and the mouth was looking very good for getting out :)

I would never of attempted going over it before the floods as it was a bit dangerous,

The river here producers some good flatties,bream,whiting and the odd jew,

I got a few schoolies just up from traffic bridge a week before the floods on a night fish,

Talk soon,

Zutta

mylestom
21-04-2009, 06:41 AM
M8 i am looking at getting out in my 4.1 next week if i find some good fish i will PM some Marks if you have GPS?

Heading out for a walk on the urunga wall 2day to check bar, A M8 told me that the floods have guttered the river of all that annoying sand that was built up and the mouth was looking very good for getting out :)

I would never of attempted going over it before the floods as it was a bit dangerous,

The river here producers some good flatties,bream,whiting and the odd jew,

I got a few schoolies just up from traffic bridge a week before the floods on a night fish,

Talk soon,

Zutta

Zutta,

Be very very careful if you are going out through the Kalang/Bellingen bar, lots of very experienced boaties have come to grief on that one. Some of them with decades of experience, have a chat to the boys at the Fishing club and possibly beach launch at 3rd headland with the tractor might be safer option.

The system is really fishing well for Flathead and bream, concentrated down towards the mouth of both systems due to constant flooding.

Regards

Trev

Zooter
21-04-2009, 02:23 PM
Rgr that Trev :)

Really shitty atm, would like to see what it pans out like after the weather settles down, Like if the bar is better than before the floods,

I know it changes all the time but i would of thought it would be deeper threw there now,

If i have the slightest doubt i wouldnt risk it anyway m8,
Coffs is only a 25 min drive to chuck the boat in :)

Thanx m8, Might catch you around around on the water some time, Look out for the "Blu"

QuinnyDory
23-04-2009, 10:05 PM
Thanks guys. Have not been on for a while with the recent crap weather in the Coffs area. I didnt consider Urunga/Bellinger/Mylestrom but after a drive down the coast recently they are quite close and definately do-able.

So thinking I'll ride out the weather and check these areas out. Im just getting to know the Coffs Harbour conditions and suspect what Ive seen up here so far is some of the crappiest conditions and weather and likely it will settle down over time. Might slip out into the harbour and possibly a little further when things improve.

thanks to all for the replies as its inspired me to persevere (spelling ?) with the current boat.
Cheers. Darren

mylestom
24-04-2009, 06:58 AM
Thanks guys. Have not been on for a while with the recent crap weather in the Coffs area. I didnt consider Urunga/Bellinger/Mylestrom but after a drive down the coast recently they are quite close and definately do-able.

So thinking I'll ride out the weather and check these areas out. Im just getting to know the Coffs Harbour conditions and suspect what Ive seen up here so far is some of the crappiest conditions and weather and likely it will settle down over time. Might slip out into the harbour and possibly a little further when things improve.

thanks to all for the replies as its inspired me to persevere (spelling ?) with the current boat.
Cheers. Darren

Darren,

Your right about the weather, but has flushed a lot of good fish down towards the mouth, if you get an average to good day give it a go towards the mouth.

Your options are two ramps at Mylestom, and couple on the southern side of the Kalang at Urunga.

Can help with some ideas of where to get what you want and if in the know there is lots of choices in the system, Flathead, whiting, bream starting to come on chew, small to med jew in river and some mangrove jack, Bull sharks up around the old highway bridge are always good fun and have seen really good size one caught.

Bait is sandworms on North Beach, lots of nippers in the estuary, and also small bait fish available. North Beach is good for big jew on the top of tide at right time of moon and also tailor and other coming on chew now.

While your down this way, the whales start coming past about the last week of May till about late Oct Nov, the main time for viewing the closer in Females in calf stay closer to shore about the last two weeks of June and the First two weeks of July.

Drop a pm for any more info.

Regards

Trev

murf
24-04-2009, 07:55 AM
if you have a 4WD and don't mind a 1/2 hr drive then Arrawarra Beach is a great beach launch

4.6 dory is heaps of boat for the close in deep sea fishing around here

the weather has been RS atm, we seem to have missed the mackerel season completely this year, we normally only go out a couple of km's for them

there is heaps of ground within a couple of km's of launching in the deep brown sea ;)

cheers Murf

Chanlo
09-04-2010, 02:10 PM
I have a 445 Dory and have been up to 16kms east from the harbour with 3 pob and had no worries. I also fish Bonville reguarly (especially at night) and havent had a problem (except for hitting one bommie) but have heard of car break ins.
I fish Bellinger/Kalang every now and then have found the 445 to be the perfect vessel for all my fishing needs.

Courteby
09-04-2010, 07:38 PM
Hi Darren,

Plenty of great comments. I have a 460 Coast Runner and find it a perfect all rounder from flicking for bream in the upper reaches of Warrell Creek to bottom bashing for reds out in 30 meters off shore on a good day. Some local ramps here in the Nambucca Shire that are good are :-

Golf Club boat ramp at Nambucca Heads - 30° 39.263'S / 152° 59.728'E

Wellington Drive Nambucca Hds Boat Ramp - 30° 38.726'S / 153° 0.242'E

Lions Park Boat Ramp Macksville - 30° 42.238'S / 152° 55.224'E

Gumma Reserve Macksville (Warrell Creek) (Camping spot) boat ramp - 30° 42.459'S / 152° 58.997'E

Scotts Head (Warrell Creek) boat ramp - 30° 44.666'S / 152° 59.094'E

Shelly Beach (offshore) boatramp Nambucca Heads - 30° 38.812'S / 153° 1.123'E

Scotts Head (offshore) boatramp - 30° 44.683'S / 152° 59.820'E

These are the main ones around the Nambucca. All are 2wd with exceptions for the beach launches and a couple have cleaning tables. I have never heard of any vehicles being broken into as yet.

The GPS Points are ruffly the mark (Cut & Paste from Google Earth)

Don't sell your Dory. Too many good places just to the South of you to fish including the Kalang and Deep Creek as well.

Good luck !

nigelr
10-04-2010, 07:35 AM
Agreed, don't sell! The 4.6 just opens up way more options on a good day!
The inshore fishing in this region, with a little study and application, is way too good to discard.
As stated, be well careful if taking on the local bars in an open boat, but it can be and is done on the right day, ie flat seas, calm winds, and rising tide.
You don't mention the size of your outboard, but there are plenty of boats your size and smaller fish the inshore reefs, and even the 8 mile on a good day.
Cheers.