PDA

View Full Version : "24 hour bug" spent out from lucinda

Dr_Dan
17-04-2009, 05:47 PM
Having just got the boat all set after being off the water for the last couple of months, a trip was planned for this coming weekend. With a close eye on seabreeze and BOM, with predictions of 10knt winds wednesday just gone, I seemed to develop a nasty cough tuesday night at work and the trip was bought forward. Looked like I wouldn't be able to make it in on wednesday morning!;D

3am saw the boat loaded up and ready to go, with my brother in law and father in law all set, ready to decimate the local population of anything red! Heading off from townsville all seemed good until about 10kms up the road the rain started. No worries! About halfway up the highway to lucinda, down she came. sitting on 60k/hr up the highway I never thought we'd make it.
Finally pulled into the dungeness ramp, boat in the water, all set, and off we head. Conditions were beautiful on the way out, sitting on 30knt most of the way to the reef. Got out to bramble and put the lures out the back just on sunrise. A leisurely troll saw the lures ignored, but sounded plenty of bommies in the shallows. So in with the Lures, and down with the baits.

Sounder was looking promising with plenty of shows on bommies in around 60-80ft of water. within 5mins of first drop, a nice little legal trout hit the deck. onto the ice and down again.

The action was nothing special, but with a number of good sized redtrhoat coming over the side, we decided to head off into the deep for some different species. Nothing much showing on the sounder off the reef, so back into the shallows to try and target some other species IE trout. Weather held out for us, with only once squall coming through to ensure we were all cooled off.

Ended up heading home just after lunch with a box of redthroat, and some nice little trout to top up the freezer. We ended up throwing back a heap of 36/37cm trout. There was a pro boat who had spent the night out the reef, any correlation?????? Not a super productive day and limited on species, but a few nice feeds anyho.

Special thanks to father in law who kindly kept the vermin amused while we managed to bag a few. Never seen so many hookups on sharks while we were pulling good fish being ignored by the grey coats!

Camera was left at home, no piccies.

Nic
17-04-2009, 05:59 PM
Nice work, glad the red-throat are still about in numbers.

mangomick
22-04-2009, 04:38 PM
So did you tell the boss you had a really bad cough or just a red throat :-/ :-/

levinge
22-04-2009, 04:49 PM
Well done Dan, good effort and with shitty weather around..

jtpython
22-04-2009, 05:31 PM
Good going got to love the Red Throats
JT

Dr_Dan
22-04-2009, 07:28 PM
Yeah, always difficult to explain how you got over that bug so quickly, with sunnie tan lines and hands covered in fish cuts!