PDA

View Full Version : Boat carpet questions.

Lucky_Phill
17-04-2009, 05:30 PM
Folks,

I am going to remove the old carpet from ReBait ( 6.2mtr alloy ) and am unsure what to do.

The old carpet is dodgey and half glued to the floor, but removing it will not be a problem.

I also have a new ( ish ) piece of marine carpet that covers the ' cockpit ' area only on top of the old carpet. I remove this after a fishing trip, hose it off ( clean it ), then pop it back in.

I am thinking that I don't really need carpet at all. Maybe paint a two pac, non skid surface on the areas. ?

I have two circular inspection hatches in the cockpit area, so they are raised a couple of mm's, but not bad enough to stubb ya toe on or trip you up. They are not noticable when the carpet is down.

The cockpit is selfdraining and does get wet....

What would you do ?

Phill

Blackened
17-04-2009, 05:34 PM
G'day

Phil, leave it bare alloy with a throw in piece or two of carpet when you desire

Dave

dnej
17-04-2009, 06:22 PM
Phill,
I used outdoor carpet, just left it loose, with velcroe joins as needed for removal around the seats.Just take it out when I finish, hose it off, let it dry,and chuck it back in.Remember, anything left bare, gets hot, including paint.
David

Grand_Marlin
17-04-2009, 07:44 PM
G'day Phil,

Bare decks are hot and glary.

I like carpet myself.

As the Daves said, loose laying is a good way to go.
In bigger boats the carpet is usually not wide enough to cover the whole floor width in one go.
If you have to join the carpet, use contact cement to glue a piece of 100mm wide insertion rubber to the back of the carpet.
This keeps it in one piece which makes life a lot easier.

If you want to remove the old glue, use GP Thinners.

Cheers

Pete

trymyluck
17-04-2009, 07:46 PM
Hi Phil
Have you looked at the rubber matting, bcf sell it and it looks like it would go alright over bare aluminium.
Mark

-spiro-
17-04-2009, 10:01 PM
Bare decks are hot and glary.

I like carpet myself.

100% RIGHT THERE. I TRIED THIS IN MY TUB PHILL

TimiBoy
18-04-2009, 06:16 AM
I have carpet in the CC Phill, and it's button down. Love it, easy enough to clean. It's cool, soft on these old feet (yours are older!!!) and fish don't slip around when you hold them against it. It's non slip whether it's wet, bloody, or whatever, and it looks just like the lounge room at home! So where's the telly???

Cheers,

Tim

Lucky_Phill
18-04-2009, 05:49 PM
Thanks guys.

I am not that concerned about " hot " as most fishing is done at night when people like Timiboy are tucked up in bed watching Home and Away, Ladettes to Ladies or some other mind blowing " reality TV show ". :P ;)

The " glare " factor is also eliminated by night fishing... 8-)

Or I could simply paint it in a 2-pac dark, non-reflective colour, similar to the colour on the gunwales.

I do however, like the idea of button down carpet. ;D

The piece I have now is wide enough and long enough to sit reasonably firmly in the cockpit area.

all good info and thanks for your thoughts guys.,

Phill
><> :-: ><> :-: ><>

bigjimg
18-04-2009, 07:20 PM
Gidday Phill
Mate check out the PVC tube matting.Very soft on the hoofs and easy to clean,just lays on the floor no need to fix down.Jim

DALEPRICE
18-04-2009, 07:34 PM
gday phill,

unless the floor is checker-plate forget it, you will forever be annoyed
with the bare alloy.

slippery, hot and down right dangerous with a bit of fish slime on it. replace the
carpet with new stuff and restick it down again with the correct adhesive.
The floor is self draining so after a big trip on the snapper use some cheap laundry powder to throw all over the floor and hose or gerni her clean.
smells like roses when complete. Just my opinnion and good luck with your choice

cheers dale

peterbo3
18-04-2009, 08:33 PM
Phill,
Carpet. Use velcro & contact glue. Easy. Two plate floors are the proof.

Lucky_Phill
18-04-2009, 08:45 PM
Well, that decides it.

TX Dale, the mention of fish slime got me.

I mean with all those Reds, Trout, Nanny's and Parrot hitting the deck, she'll be more slippery than a butchers handshake. ;)

I do however, utilize a deck wash while " at work " ;D

Smelling like roses Dale,,,, :-/ Do they have beer or Breaka Girl scents in washing powder ????;D ;D :o

phill

DALEPRICE
19-04-2009, 12:40 PM
lol...............Mr Bean is the original starter of the washing powder crew, you will have to talk to him on flavours .,.................pmsl

seriously, nothing is more annoying than carpet that moves around on the deck. stick the stuff down so its fixed in position. contact adhesive some rubber strips on the corners off your ice box and its fish killing time. good luck

tropicrows
20-04-2009, 11:32 AM
I have carpet but it's not stuck down as I like to remove for a good clean occasionally. However a few times it’s moved from under me and if your unlucky you could end up over the side. I tried Velcro and contact glue once I could not get the Velco to stick to the carpet successfully.
I was thinking of putting down that adhesive backed non slip black stuff that looks like very rough wet and dry (hope that makes sense), around the edges and then laying the carpet on that. Has anybody done something similar, and did it work.