PDA

View Full Version : Electric Motor for Plate Alloy Boat

Splendid
17-04-2009, 03:14 PM
Hi, I currently own a 4.6m TABS Territory plate alloy boat. I am currently looking around for an electric motor setup for the boat and was hoping for some advice. I have been told that because the boat is heavier then normal pressed aluminium boats I will need at least 55lb thrust electric. I am unsure as to which brand to look at as well. I have heard some bad reports on the Min Kota with salt water stuffing up electronics while I havent heard any reports on the Motorguide. Does any one have any advice they could share and what sort of cost I would be looking at for a complete installation? I want to make sure I get this right as it's a lot of money to spend. I want to try and stay away from a 24volt system if possible.

Regards, Splendid. :o

Tabs
17-04-2009, 07:23 PM
HEY Splendid,

I have a 4.55 Tabs with a 60 Merc 4 stroke. I have had a 55lb MinnKota Riptide on the front for the last 3 1/2 years with no trouble at all. But I have changed the plug on the controls to a fully waterproof rated one. Apparently it is where corrosion can start and cook up the internal circuit board.
The 55MK does a good job but will still struggle when you have 20knot winds and the tide against you. I am running 120 amp/hr battery which holds out for a full days fishing.

Cheers
Steve

dkbikes
18-04-2009, 06:56 PM
gday i have the motorguide salterwater wirelerless 55lb bow mount and it is awsome and for the differance in price to the minn kota i am reall happy with it, i no when i was looking at the minkota is was almost twice the price to get the wireless were the motorguide came out with it, mine doesnt have the auto pilot but i think it is the better option out of the 2

dkbikes
18-04-2009, 06:59 PM
oh i forgot to say i am running a big batery just for the motor and it will run for 2 days easy without needing a charge, it is 120 or 100 amphour, my boat is olny 4mtrs tho so the motor wouldnt have to work as hard for mine as it would 4 yours,

roydsy
21-04-2009, 04:44 PM
I had to replace my Motorguide with a 80lb wireless Watersnake.... so far so good.

My Motorguide SW75 saltwater wireless series electric motor broke 3 times in 0.5 to 1m chop, even when tied down with a strap. They fixed twice under warranty, now they won't honour it or fixed it.... also Nautilus insurance won't cover under an insurance claim. Needless to say both Mercury/Motorguide and Nautilus are companies I know avoid and wiull continue to spread the word until I am compensated for my $1300 loss. My next step is small claims, followed by some press.

Don't support Motorguide, there warranty isnt worth the paper it is written on.

Both companies are claiming it was not used in accordance with what constitutes normal use..... what a load of rubbish.

Roydsy