PDA

View Full Version : Engine Problem

castlemaine
17-04-2009, 02:30 PM
Maybe very obvious to some of you but had the boat in 2 weeks before Easter and didn't miss a beat.
Easter Friday put the boat in Noosa River and travelling up river the motor (Yamaha, 50hp), just didn't feel right. Half an hour later all I could get was idle speed.
Every time I throttled up it would just stay the same. No coughing, spluttering, or attempt to die. Putted back from Lake Cootharaba to the boat ramp and got the boat out.
Between 3 of us, first call was broken throttle cable, 2nd call faulty spark plugs, 3rd call bush worn in prop assembly, 4th call dirty fuel.
None of the above calls sat right with me as the motor was idling perfectly.
So have you figured it out yet????
5th call when I got home was from a mate whose had this happen to him. Clogged fuel filter, made so much sense I was kicking myself for not working it out. Changed fuel filter today, Whoa wait for it $85 ___ PERFECT.
So hopefully it has never been changed during services and not crap in the tank. Not looking forward to draining the tank if it need be.
With all the rain lately I wouldn't be surprised if there's some runnoff into the servo storage tanks.
Hope this helps anyone that has a similiar problem.
Cheers8-)

kokomo
17-04-2009, 02:42 PM
you should pour the filter out to see what was inside it.. eg water or junk etc etc... it will give you some clue to the cause

edit for spelling..

Moonlighter
17-04-2009, 03:15 PM
Hi Castlemaine

Have you got a separate fuel filter fitted in the fuel line or was the clogged one under the engine cowl?

At $85 for the filter I'm guessing that it was either a special Yammy filter under the cowl or one of those ultra=expensive water separating elements with the clear bowl? If its the latter, you do know that there is an after-marked version of those available for about $25 now don't you??? Give me a call on mobile if you need details re that!!

Cheers

ML

whatscracken
17-04-2009, 05:58 PM
My 40hp Yammie has a washable fuel filter, keep and eye on it and never had any dramams

FNQCairns
17-04-2009, 06:06 PM
What do you mean "just stay the same"? Would it rev up but go nowhere or would it not rev up at all like the throttle was stuck/broken?

If the first then the prop bush may need looking at, if the second then something throttle movement related or even no timing advance for some reason.

A blocked fuel filter should cause all sorts of erratic behaviour on opening the throttle as the butterfly's will open to allow more air but the fuel cannot keep up so it will run like a hairy goat or stall out or blow up.

cheers fnq

castlemaine
17-04-2009, 07:19 PM
you should pour the filter out to see what was inside it.. eg water or junk etc etc... it will give you some clue to the cause

Just a little water

edit for spelling..

Hi Castlemaine

Have you got a separate fuel filter fitted in the fuel line or was the clogged one under the engine cowl?

At $85 for the filter I'm guessing that it was either a special Yammy filter under the cowl or one of those ultra=expensive water separating elements with the clear bowl? If its the latter, you do know that there is an after-marked version of those available for about $25 now don't you??? Give me a call on mobile if you need details re that!!

Cheers

ML

One in-line (Racor), bugger I just bought a replacement for emergency at $69. At $25 I wouldn't mind doing a change every 12 months. Will give you a call. Thanks.

My 40hp Yammie has a washable fuel filter, keep and eye on it and never had any dramams

Used have one on my 4wd where do you get one.

What do you mean "just stay the same"? Would it rev up but go nowhere or would it not rev up at all like the throttle was stuck/broken?

If the first then the prop bush may need looking at, if the second then something throttle movement related or even no timing advance for some reason.

A blocked fuel filter should cause all sorts of erratic behaviour on opening the throttle as the butterfly's will open to allow more air but the fuel cannot keep up so it will run like a hairy goat or stall out or blow up.

cheers fnq

Would not rev up. As you pointed out, open throttle it would try to race but falter to a idle. Surprisingly enough it never died. That's what I'm kicking myself about was that in hindsight it was so obivious.

Thanks guys, hope this helps anyone else in similiar circumstances.