PDA

View Full Version : North Hutchies

ShaneC
16-04-2009, 04:40 PM
Left Scarby at 10pm Wednesday night for a late night fish and an early start at Hutchies. Drifted the ledges off Bulwer and Cowan for a couple of hours during the night, nothing really to speak of, a few cod and a few big slateys.

Got out to a mark at the northern end of Hutchies, first cast resulted in a 5kg snap, he went hard and took the placky rather high up in the water column. Continued to catch a variety of fish... Maori cod, sweeties and other dribs and drabs, and got done by a submarine after a solid 30 min tussle, have no idea what it was but it was big and strong and I was buggered afterwards after fishing it with a heavy drag on 50lb braid.

All fish caught on plastics, in water depths between 25 and 35m. Sorry no phots as yet.'

Shane

Benno1
16-04-2009, 04:58 PM
sounds like a pretty good trip by all accounts Shane...were there many other boaties out???...looking forward too seeing the piccies :D
thanks for the report :D

Mrs Benno1
Sunny

therapy
16-04-2009, 06:13 PM
Gedday Shane,
Looks like the snapps are going to fire up soon. Good onya for getting into a couple!!! I'm thinking about going out that way tomorrow and was just wondering what the conditions were like? Swell and direction, current?

Cheers....Terry.......

ShaneC
16-04-2009, 06:24 PM
Hey Terry,

Conditions were pretty good actually. There is a bit of swell around but nothing too crazy, and the current was ok in shallow where we were. We had about 0.5-0.8 knots drift with parachute anchor out, which was just right for pegging some plackys around. I am not too mad on plastics fishing and havent been doing it for long, I still think we would have gotten more on bait, but I will admit they are effective......

All things are pointing to a cracker snapper season, just hope it doesn't fire early then fizz out like the marlin did.

Shane

skipalong
16-04-2009, 08:08 PM
sounds like there is some good fishing to be had at the moment

justin