PDA

View Full Version : Webster twinfisher 5.3 cat - pros & cons

patrol50
14-04-2009, 09:43 PM
So how does a webster twinfisher 5.2m rate with the single 90 - 140 hp OB in the cat hirachy - lookin for a solid all round unit which is ok for up to 20 nm off shore in good to average conditions - tossing up between it and a similar sized barcrusher - appreciate any comments from owners etc
thanks rob

Crocodile
15-04-2009, 10:19 AM
I have a 4.3 Webster.
Very soft riding, stable, efficient performance with one motor.
Can be wet and they lean the wrong way in turns.
I assume that the 5.2's are even better.
Watch out for the Barcrusher, my brother took one for a test drive, a smaller one.
Was not stable, porpoised in calm water, nothing special in the ride department and was a sluggish performer with a 115 4S.
Make sure that you have a comprehensive test drive before purchase.

DAZMC1
15-04-2009, 04:47 PM
I have a mate with a 5.2 which is actually for sale. Can be a wet boat in chop but is very stable at rest and has plenty of room to fish out of. His has a 115 Yamaha and it pushes it along fairly well. I think the fuel tank is only about 90l so it only has a range of about 120-130klm or so.

Catweb
15-04-2009, 08:26 PM
I have a recently acquired 4.9 with 90 etec. This is my 4th cat but first with a single engine. Just like most cats it will out perform any mono of the same size and I have found this with all my previous cats too.

Like most cats it can be wet and bimini with front and side clears in colder climes should be a non negotiable necessity!!

I have had it out in +20 knot off shore winds down here and it is sure footed and inspires a lot of confidence. Like any small boat it will bang if you flog it into a head sea but IMHO not as bad as a mono (I've had plenty of them too including Haines and Signature) of same size.

It does not have the same freeboard as either of the 2 mono's mentioned above. The single engine takes a bit of getting used to. It will cav if you are running too much trim in lumpy aeorated water and getting the trim right is critical.

The build strenght and quality is up there with best, I researched a fair amount before I got mine and these boats have been around long enough now to have developed a solid reputation and you don't hear too much bad news about them.

End of the day it is a matter of personal choice, but I doubt you will be disappointed with a Webster if you are looking at this size boat, ie sub 6m.