PDA

View Full Version : talk about bad luck

ronnien
14-04-2009, 09:08 PM
my gas assist on my 40hp merc leaked oil out from behind the bottom of the unit, so i ring around & find 1 which cost me $550. now the boat has only been in the water once! while packing the boat tonight i noticed oil coming out of where the rod goes up & down when you lift or drop it.
the new gas assist was hard to find, so will have to wait until tomorrow & see what happens.only had this unit for 1 month, gee i hope they have another to replace it or i will be up sh!*s creek without a paddle:(.
i cant afford to buy new @ $1400.

FNQCairns
14-04-2009, 09:20 PM
Ron it's gotta be rebuildable??? I have no idea what the dealers say and quite honestly due to past experiences I only now believe them after researching the subject very well myself.

After all it went together at the factory, is a simple apparatus, seals come in so many after market specs etc.

If all else fails let me know and I will chase up some US sellers for a price, I go all weak at the knees walking up to a dealers spare parts counter here in OZ, even with the dollar it may not quite land new and at your door for Aussie wrecker prices like was easily possible in the past but still the difference might buy you a few fishing trips.

good luck

cheers fnq

ronnien
15-04-2009, 09:29 AM
Ron it's gotta be rebuildable??? I have no idea what the dealers say and quite honestly due to past experiences I only now believe them after researching the subject very well myself.

After all it went together at the factory, is a simple apparatus, seals come in so many after market specs etc.

If all else fails let me know and I will chase up some US sellers for a price, I go all weak at the knees walking up to a dealers spare parts counter here in OZ, even with the dollar it may not quite land new and at your door for Aussie wrecker prices like was easily possible in the past but still the difference might buy you a few fishing trips.

good luck

cheers fnq

fnq,
you would think that there would be someone around here that could fix it, i have rang a few places & no boat shops can do it.
even rang a few hydraulic places & they cant fix it, so i am waiting for the place where i bought it from to ring me back & hope they have 1 there to replace it with, fingers crossed!

ron.

ronnien
15-04-2009, 12:09 PM
ok, they rang me back & they have another 1 there.
prob solved, just have to get this 1 off & swap over.

ron.

disorderly
15-04-2009, 02:19 PM
Sounds good Ron..

What is the new boat?

ronnien
15-04-2009, 03:29 PM
Sounds good Ron..

What is the new boat?

scott,
new boat?
it's the gas assist that"s on the outboard that needs replacing.
your getting me gee'd up scott, i wish i had a new boat!! (bigger).

ron.

disorderly
15-04-2009, 04:57 PM
Oh sorry Ron...I just read your post wrong...glad the problem is sorted...

Anyway I dont want to get you gee'd up about a bigger boat....seriously if you want to head out wider its far cheaper to pitch in for your share of the trip with some of the other townsville guys than to have to buy and maintain a bigger reef capable boat that just sits in the shed most of the time........

Scott

Wahoo
15-04-2009, 05:09 PM
so whats the new boat you getting Ron?;D;)

Daz