PDA

View Full Version : Mooloolaba Charter

dodge69
12-04-2009, 09:32 PM
Hi guys

Just a quick report from a trip last week while on holidays in Mooloolaba. As I had arranged for 6 mates to come with me, I was not able to take a charter with Smithy, instead I booked a 3 quarter day charter with Adam from Odyssey Charters.

After reading many reports on this forum I had agreed with Adam that I wanted to go to The Banks which he agreed would be best. On arrival at the boat I was told we were still heading wide despite the largish swell. I was really excited and probably had expectations a bit high, but I was in Qld after all.

On the morning of the charter there was myself, my 5 other mates and another full paying customer. We travelled for just over an hour and stopped on a small show on the sounder which Adam told me was Pearl Perch. It was 68 meters deep and we were using a 1 hook rig with a pound sinker.

We dropped down and things were a little slow. There were all 7 of us fishing, along with the decky and the skipper (who was using and electric reel in the back corner of the boat). The bait on offer was soft pilchards, squid that the birds at the back of the boat would not eat, a fresh bonito and some salted slimeys.

Well after drifting off the original mark for about 30 minutes and with the only fish in the boat being a pearl perch the skipper caught, we decided on a move. Not long after this I was told we would try another spot on Coloundra Wide, when I asked why we were not heading to the Banks, I was told it would be a too rough a ride bank against the swell on the way home!!!

Anyhow, we hit the next spot and same story, this time one of my mates pulls up a pearl perch of decent size. We continued another long drift with the Skipper and Decky continuing to fish. Still in 70 meters and I could not even feel if I was getting a bite.

Luckily on the drop, one of the boys hooks a good sized dolphin fish, we continue to catch two more before they disappeared. All of good size.

We move then to 100 meters and I can still not feel the bites. Four of the six anglers are yet to put a keeper in the box!

With no luck at 100 meters we move back to the 70 meter marks and pull up a snapper, which I had to remind the decky to clean after it had sat in the slop bucket for over half an hour, he was busy fishing during that time.

One of my mates pulled up the biggest cuttlefish I have ever seen, was well over a foot long, as I go to grab the net to pull it in for some of the best fresh bait, the skipper cut the line and said it would have been too messy!!

Time was running out and the call was made to hit a small wreck in about 50 meters. Again we drifted and the 7 paying customers took turns fishing out of the one side. Two beautiful undersized reds did come aboard, but no more keepers hit the deck. One of my mates tied on a small plastic and got a good hit but pulled the hooks shortly after. But he kept flicking while the others fished the bottom. On the next drift, before my mate could flick his plastic out, the skipper popped out the back with a rod and soft plastic and started flicking around, leaving little to no room for my mate to continue to fish. No more fish were landed and we headed home.

Final tally
1 snapper, 1 pearl perch, 3 dolphin fish. Barely enough for all of us and our families for a feed.

Two of the customers (experienced fisho’s) did not catch a fish at all.

Anyhow, I have not written how I really feel but rather shared our experience from a factual point of view. Hope it helps others.

Cheers

Dodge

-spiro-
12-04-2009, 09:51 PM
Not a good trip by the sounds mate. Give it another month out there and it will be on fire.

Angla
12-04-2009, 10:00 PM
Sorry to hear of the dismal catch. I think you would not have seen too many other boats out there due to the poor weather conditions of late. That is to be expected of Easter.

Cheers
Chris

Mr__Bean
13-04-2009, 05:29 AM
Dodge,

Obviously NOT a happy customer.

Did you take it up with the skipper?

- Darren

TimiBoy
13-04-2009, 06:05 AM
Sounds like the Skipper's lost his passion. I'd have thought he'd be watching the sounder like a hawk, and the deckie would be watching you all with the desire to help with your every need!

If they are really that bad, the recession will weed them out. It'll leave the good guys, though, hopefully!

Really sorry you had a bad time - you got more fish than some of us get on occasion, so don't forget to keep an eye on the good side!!!

Cheers,

Tim

Smithy
13-04-2009, 07:27 AM
Odyssey, Fish and Crab and Flatdog are the only guys out of here with Master V or Master IV tickets to take you to the Banks/Hards area. Tony from Noosa Bluewater Charters also had a Master V but that business has recently been sold so not sure of the qualifications of the new owners. The new Trekka III up at Noosa might also be able to go out there. You would have to check it out for yourself. Just keep that in mind when booking charters if wanting to go wide.

goona
13-04-2009, 10:51 AM
I had a similar experience with Incredible charters out of Redcliffe. We were told we were going to Wide Caloundra but ended up stopping just outside of Flinders exclusion Zone. Thought oh well give it a go and see what happens. Put a whole pillie on and proceeded to get told off. Asked what the problem was and was then informed they forgot to pack the bait. WTF!!!! Half a block of pillies left over from the previous trip and this was to last the day between 12 blokes. So the deck hand then proceeded to chop all the remaining pillies into 1 inch sections. I caught the first fish which was a little pig fish of about 150mm and unhooked it and though it back. The deckie almost jumped in after it. Ear bashing number 2 followed. "We keep everything that comes on this boat and you are not to take fish off your own line" WTF!!! We fished there for ages and got 1 Squire of about 2kg and several more pig fish. What a waste of time. We finally move on to deeper ground East of Flinders and got onto some pearlies. We did 2 drifts and managed to get about 8 fish per drift. Finally we started getting fish then the skipper announces we are moving to another spot. What is going on we finally are getting fish and we move? No more fish were caught and when we got back to the harbour Witch Doctor rocks up with a boat load of big 8 to 10kg snapper and approx 10 black king around the 20kg mark. To say we were pi__ed off was an understatement. You could tell there was a complete lack of trying to find fish and when we did find them we moved. We had another experience with John Palermo although he was exactly the opposite. Although we didn’t get all that many about 4 to 5 fish per person you could really see he was trying his hardest to get fish. Constantly moving around and trying every thing to satisfy his clients. The fish just weren't on the chew that day unfortunately but I can thoroughly recommend him.

hungry6
13-04-2009, 11:05 AM
I've founded over the years, fishing lots of charters all over the country is that, in the charter business there exist 2 very separate species, one cater for passionate fisho and do everything and virtually anything to find and land fish, and the other gives you a good sight seeing trips and relies on, once of tourist dollar. It's ashame that the work of so many good charters are undone by the minority few bad ones.

backlash08
13-04-2009, 12:55 PM
Odyssey, Fish and Crab and Flatdog are the only guys out of here with Master V or Master IV tickets to take you to the Banks/Hards area. Tony from Noosa Bluewater Charters also had a Master V but that business has recently been sold so not sure of the qualifications of the new owners. The new Trekka III up at Noosa might also be able to go out there. You would have to check it out for yourself. Just keep that in mind when booking charters if wanting to go wide.

Hi Smithy, what are your radius limits?

cheers - Craig

Smithy
13-04-2009, 01:32 PM
Coxswains are on 15Nm from land or partially smooth i.e. Combyoro Pt., Inskip Pt. and Rooneys Pt. Most boats would be 2C or 2B class vessels. That takes them out to 50Nm from land or the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park region depending on the specifics. Depending on length or horsepower they would still need to stay to 15Nm if driven by a Coxswain. Master Vs are out to 50Nm but depending on horsepower he may need a MEDIII or MEDII engineering ticket. My boat is in 2C Inshore to 15Nm class anyway. Luckily Qld is only state to have that. The NT might be a bit more open slather but the other states are very strict and have stricter survey laws.

GBP1978
13-04-2009, 05:02 PM
Gave up on sunshine coast charters two years ago after inconsistant results both fishing and effort from crews. Now charter from Rainbow Beach and 1770 and even our worst trips have been satisfing, We go about 3-4 times a year.

dodge69
13-04-2009, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the replies, I think I will be heading up to Rainbow beach myself in future. Alternatively I will book for three guys and head out with Smithy!

bdaearth
14-04-2009, 06:46 AM
noosa bluewater sold??????? I am going out with them on the 2 of may and sandy still answers the phone and tony is still skipper!! I know he had two boats and a couple of takle shops and sold them about 10 months ago.

I am keen on going to the banks and even hitting the hards if it is good weather. I hope he is still able to go that far!!!

Frank OO
14-04-2009, 02:59 PM
Hi Dodge,

I really feel for you mate. As a passionate fisherman I would be furious if I received that sort of treatment. It may have been that the skipper and crew were trying to help you take more fish home by fishing themselves.

I can only say that the fish are very hard to come by and you do have to work very hard for a decent catch at the moment.

Smithy has been doing pretty well and I am sure that a small boat like Smithy will offer you a much more personal approach.

Frank OO

Snapp
14-04-2009, 08:34 PM
Not good.
Thats why I got my own boat and I can only blame myself.
Adam would be happy though,
with his catch of (7 full paying customers)
better luck next time.

The Animal
15-04-2009, 07:31 AM
The difference between Charters is if the Skipper loves to fish.
I have known Smthy for years and you will not anyone who loves it more.
I would be booking him next time.

Liberty
15-04-2009, 01:25 PM
If I'm paying a charter, I'm fishing.

The Guide is there to help you try to catch fish, whether teaching, searching or rigging.

He's not there to fish. If he wants to fish, he pays the bills and takes himself out.

I'm not paying someone for them to fish.

rogerb
15-04-2009, 11:06 PM
I was a charter skipper for 30 years and can really understand the way you feel, I would never let the mate fish unless he had been invited to do so by the customers, after all they have paid for their day's fishing.
Try Smithy, he is the man around here, he will put you on the fish and look after you all day.
Don't be put off by one duff trip, all the best, Rog.