PDA

View Full Version : Is it safe ?????

troy
12-04-2009, 07:56 PM
Is it safe to jump start your outboard and if so is there a corect way of doing it.
Years ago i was told by my outbord mechanic to never use jumber leads if your battery is flat or buggered.
Thanks
Troy

BREAMBOSS01
12-04-2009, 08:26 PM
i would not do it unless you knew the correct way of earthing, if not could blow the electrics in your outboard......

Spaniard_King
12-04-2009, 08:57 PM
Troy The 4 strokes are no diferent to cars.. a set of jumper leads with a polarity indicator would be fine.

DFI 2 strokes ae a little more suseptical to power surging. I have jump started a few ficht engines without any issues.

Midnight
12-04-2009, 09:22 PM
Gday,
I carry a 1200amp "Jumper Pack" (about $150 from Super Cheap from memory) in my boat and should I ever make a buggerup and somehow flatten both batteries I will just clamp it to the terminals and start.
I have started my 4 litre Volvo diesel with the jumper pack alone just to try it out and it cranks it just fine.
Cheers,
Myles

TheRealAndy
12-04-2009, 11:51 PM
I jump started my 50 4stroke about 6 months back. Used the deep cycle of the 4wd with cheap arse jumper leads. Worked a treat. Had the same problem the next weekend (tested it at home first) and bought a new battery.

Jump start with flat battery is ok, probaby not good if your battery is stuffed. I have problems understanding how jump starting can damage outboards
(or cars for that matter)..

big moose
13-04-2009, 12:06 AM
the problem is notr with jump starting the damage can occurr to the vehicle computer of the good battery if that makes sense. when the flat one fires and powers itsel;f the alternator on the good vehicle/boat can surge and blow the computer. if you are j8umping from a vehicle/boat with an engine computer just do it with your engine switched off and no problems can occurr
regds gary

Mr__Bean
13-04-2009, 04:33 AM
If you know the battery is good in the second boat then the best (makeshift) surge protector is to turn some lights on in either boat.

This will flatten out any potential surge.

I have always done this with EFI cars as well.

- Darren