PDA

View Full Version : Mercury, mariner, tohatsu.....is there a difference.

oldboot
12-04-2009, 05:20 PM
I know that many consider that various models in the above brands are very similar.

So is there any difference between these brands?

Are they "same same", or are there differences in models or the ranges.

Is there a different service level or waranty arrangements.

Is there any difference in build quality.

cheers

rosco1974
12-04-2009, 06:03 PM
g'day
as far as i am aware merc and mariner are the exact same motors just different paint and brand names.....tohatsu are the same up to i think a 30 of 40 then are different.....tohatsu are a more commercial brand motor used more in the asian countries...i have a tohatsu and cannot fault it......there are a few pro crabbers using them in morton bay at the moment......the surf life savers use the tohatsu on the duckies and most thunder cats have them as well....they are built for high reving ...
cheers rosco

joey_1987
12-04-2009, 06:37 PM
Mercury and Mariner are identical except for the cowl. In the 2 stroke ranges, the Mercury 15hp super, 25hp Sea Pro, 30hp LW, 40hp Lightning XR are rebadged Tohatsu's. In the 4 stroke range, the 8hp, 9.9hp, 25hp EFI and 30hp EFI are rebadged Tohatsu's too. They do have a commercial background as has been previously stated, are known for their simplicity and reliability. I have a Mariner 30hp LW myself, no faults at all.
Hope this answers your question.

Wahoo
12-04-2009, 06:40 PM
i thought that merc own a large % of toey, something like 49%

Daz

rosco1974
12-04-2009, 07:13 PM
wahoo....toey owns merc and mariner...cheers

PinHead
12-04-2009, 08:54 PM
Brunswick Corporation owns both Mercuryand Mariner

mercury'srising
13-04-2009, 04:27 PM
Yep PIN HEAD is CORRECT.

Bruswick Corp own Merc and Mariner 100%. They now own 49% of the tojo-Tohatsu which accounts for the improvement of the tojo engine in recent times. A friend of mine has an agency for the tojo's (he had one some years ago and I think he paid them to take it back) Now he sells stacks of them, can't get enough and has bugger all drama's with them at all. Only the supply shortage.. They appear to be excellent value for money, but, that comes with a Merc anyway

MERCURY'S RISING WHILE OTHERS FALL