PDA

View Full Version : EXTERIOR PLY QUESTIONS Glue for carpet

lifestyle
12-04-2009, 12:49 PM
I am using exterior ply in my tinnie for a small floor. I wish to carpet it with marine carpet. Question 1 .-- Would you seal the ply with some exterior marine vanish prior to laying the carpet.
Question 2.-- What type of glue would you use to glue the carpet down. Please include the retail name of the glue so it is easyier to purchase. Thank you Shane

Any_Weather
12-04-2009, 02:24 PM
Hi Shane, mate I went through this same exercise a while back and I just sealed my timber with external timber paint on both sides then glue the outdoor carpet down with Artificial grass glue. I bought a couple of tins from B@nnings and a couple of cheap 50mm brushes and let rip. It does not take long to dry (seems to be very similar to contact cement).

Thanks
Lee

lifestyle
12-04-2009, 07:20 PM
Thaks for the reply Any Weather. I will try your method

garman1
12-04-2009, 08:56 PM
any_weather is on the money....did the same deal, all ok after a couple of years, boat is out in all weather...

sleepygreg
12-04-2009, 09:08 PM
The key to sealing exterior ply/marine ply in any situation where moisture is present is to make sure the EDGES are well sealed, especially if it is not marine ply...as this is where the moisture will penetrate. There are any number of two pack epoxies available that can do this....Norglass do a couple that are quite good. Be careful when using generic timber finishes....most are NOT suitable for what you are doing.....and the glue is only as good as the surface it is stuck to. Exterior ply is NOT marine ply....the difference is the core layers have no gaps in marine ply, whereas exterior ply has core gaps...which will trap moisture if not sealed properly.

Greg

Razgo-
13-04-2009, 08:32 AM
to prevent rot from gaps and edges i was always told to use ever dewar. not sure on the spelling.

BaitThrower
13-04-2009, 10:31 AM
to prevent rot from gaps and edges i was always told to use ever dewar. not sure on the spelling.

Probably Everdure - a two-part epoxy sealer.

I just added a flase floor and coated the exterior ply in Norglass two-part epoxy wood treatment... Gave it two coats on faces, then 4 coats on all edges... Then I followed that up with two coats of marine paint, and even more again on edges. I'm hoping the wood is VERY well sealed now :)

Tailortaker
13-04-2009, 10:49 AM
I put a new floor and casting decks in mine a few months ago, I used marine ply and a couple of pots of kwip grip to glue the carpet down... worked a treat

Reef_fisher
13-04-2009, 07:23 PM
Might be more expensive, my next floor will be aluminiun checkerplate. easier to get fish guts off.

Razgo-
14-04-2009, 07:01 AM
i think this is is everdure http://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?cat=174&item=60616&intAbsolutePage=13

BLOOEY
14-04-2009, 07:09 AM
I did the same as above marine varnish and lots of it and the arti grass glue but used a notched trowel to apply it stuck very weell and is going good so far. Ben