PDA

View Full Version : carbon fibre dingy

riverrat321
12-04-2009, 10:48 AM
Hi, does anyone know if anyone is manufacturing carbon fibre dingies around the 10 - 12 foot mark that are suitable for outboard motors in the 15hp - 40hp range?

BaitThrower
12-04-2009, 11:00 AM
Hi, does anyone know if anyone is manufacturing carbon fibre dingies around the 10 - 12 foot mark that are suitable for outboard motors in the 15hp - 40hp range?

Hmm wouldn't that be like putting a brick on a piece of paper?
Carbon Fibre is super light... A 10 or 12ft dinghy could probably be picked up with one hand :)

I'd imagien even a 5Hp motor to be too heavy :o

GBC
12-04-2009, 11:18 AM
Yeah, up Cairns way - they used to be called a Tarpon, now someting else. Check the caravan mags.
I've driven one with a 9.8 h.p. and it felt like a genuine 30 MPH.!
Nice little boat but be warned - they aren't cheap.
C.J.

Rockrash
12-04-2009, 11:36 AM
John Hall from Toorbul is having them built at the moment. Fully resin infused. Built by a well regarded formula one power boat buider. 2 sizes. 3.0 and 3.5 I think. 3.5 comes in at about 37kg I think. John is at Limen Bight at the moment but his wife is at home. His #'s are 54292015 and 0410090317.

riverrat321
12-04-2009, 12:48 PM
That sounds perfect. I will give him a call. Thanks. I will also look into that "tarpon".

fly_1
12-04-2009, 04:39 PM
I believe noosacat do a 10ft cat that weighs 30kg ?? or something like that. would be a great little boat/tender etc...Its on the company website

oldboot
12-04-2009, 11:15 PM
There has been quite a bit of discussion about the use of carbon fibre in non competitive boats.

It is the opinion of quite a few that the use of carbon fibre in utility boats is pretty well pointless.

There is verry little to be gained in weight at the engineering safety factors commonly used in utility boating.

In competitive boats breakages are very common and there is an expectation that if you don't break something from time to time you arent light enough.

The carbon fibre is ( like in rods) lighter and more rigid but at safety factors that make the weight saving worthwhile prone to sudden breakage.

so solutions
Epoxy and glass fibre composites with plywood.......Oh hell yeah.

If you are looking at a light, strong and durable boat this is the way to go.

check out woodworkforums.com and go to the wooden boats section and have a bit of a look arround.
While you are there you will find links to michale storer's wooden boat site ( he is a marine architect who cut his teeth on small light weight racing sail boats.

he among others have a number of designs ( fully supported plans) available.

The plywood composite boats are very easy and cheap to build yourself.

just an example have a look at the puddle duck racer information....there is a full blow by blow blog on woodwork forums and a condensed version on the main puddle duck aussie site.

I know several mates who have built various boats like this... I'm itching to have a go myself at something small.

A mate has built a 12 footter bassed on one of dynamite paysons instant boats...I can lift it with one hand he pushes it with a a very small lecky.

you could google "instant boats". remember these are very early pre stich and glue designs and are heavy (typical of the yanks).

If you go with one of the properly engineered designs, at least you get motor rating information and stuff.

If you want to go with somethi ga bit less... um..... supported... have a look at "hannu's boatyard"

there are some interesting bare bones designs there.

cheers

oldboot
12-04-2009, 11:20 PM
I've just read your original again.....12" boat with 40HP up the tail.....:o . krikey jack what do you want a rocket ship.

I know there there are some hydroplane designs;D

cheers

riverrat321
13-04-2009, 06:16 AM
Thanks for the additional info guys. I will do some more investigation. Cheers.

BREAMBOSS01
13-04-2009, 06:34 AM
gday riverrat there is also another company called ultralight boats, they have 3.8m ones and can have upto 8hp i think, they are specifically designed for car toppers as the writing is upside down on the side of the boat... they are made of fibreglass/carbon fibre blend, the hull is foam filled with movable swivel seats......

GBC
13-04-2009, 06:49 AM
I believe the breamboss has got the new name for the Tarpon I was trying to remember. Seems to ring a bell somewhere. Anyone confirm?

finding_time
13-04-2009, 11:51 AM
called ultralight boats, they have 3.8m ones and can have upto 8hp i think, they are specifically designed for car toppers as the writing is upside down on the side of the boat... ......

If there anything like the tarpons the writing is upside down so they can be easily identified when capsized!!!!!;) Quite unstable around other boats washes ! But jeez there light and fast though!:o :o :o :o :o And 150 kg of balast doesn't seem to help much does it Searash!;D

ian

foxx510
13-04-2009, 12:06 PM
There's a pic of one at the bottom of this page http://www.clubmarine.com.au/internet/clubmarine.nsf/docs/MG17-3+Boatlines

riverrat321
13-04-2009, 02:19 PM
I never knew there was so many out there! The noosacat looks nice in the pics.

sharkcat one
13-04-2009, 07:32 PM
Hi guys,

About the carbon fibre boats , you may want to look at your insurance company.
Alot of them will not insure a fully carbon fibre boat.
Just something to look into before you spend your money.

Cheers

cormorant
14-04-2009, 12:30 AM
What's the deal with carbon fibre and insurance - is it the replacement cost ?? I know they are scared of carbon F masts fittings on yachts as they can just go bang and can be 50% of price of yacht to replace - ouch?? Is there a % of carbon fibre that is Ok ? I know the repair costs to put back to original especially if baked carbon fibre makes many fittings a disposable item oned damaged and small surface damage can weaken the structure a lot creating a stress point.

There was one Dinghy that had a water ballast keel tank ( actual tank not a open area) in it as well as it was a v hull so they could get it to sit better at rest but still be a easy car topper.

Haven't seen one for 5 years and the price was silly as you could buy a boat loader for standard tinny and a bigger motor and still have money left over. The eggshell thiness scared me as I see what happens when it goes wrong on yacht masts as it can be so brittle when overstressed.

The fold a boat - port-a- boat come close to the lightest weight and compact easy to store jobs as each piece is easilly movable. No sure I 100% like the end result and boat ride but everything is a compromise. Rides like a flexible carpet and flexes to absorb chop.

Why do you want carbon fibre ?

Is it about weight or strength as if it is weight there is a lot of manufacturing expense as it is best vacume bagged or the new materials have resin impregnated carbon fibre. Using divincel foams and vacume bagging in normal or epoxy or fibreglass a small boat can make it low weight more durable and less fragile than carbon fibre which can puncture easily.

A lot of things are called carbon fibre but it is a much overused and overrated term as there are many different types from a simplemesh cloth to complete construction systems.

Guess I am asking as when helping a mate set up for a round Aus trip we looked in to it, lightweight dinghys , and basically even solo due to the unmanageable size you can't lift em and throw them on a roofrack. So with 2 people - even the weakling wife a 60kg one was no worries to move around ( wheels) and he went with a normal v shaped tinny for that reason. The extra weight on the roof was not that bigger deal as he was not a extreme 4wd dude. Simply roll tinny over , they lifted nose and he stood there as she reversed the cruiser up to it, rested on rack with roller and then they both just lifted the transom and it slid on forward. At any one time the most weight either one was lifting was 20kg and at mid 60's yo it was easy. He had a fold up bulldog trailer mounted on the camper trailer a frame for when they stayed camped and wanted to take the boat and launch at ramps.

Just wondering why you want carbon fibre?

C

Have seen some planing pleasure cruisers with CF dinghys as they didn't want extra weight out over transom but again it is a case of more money than brains as they could do crane o foredeck

ifishcq1
15-04-2009, 08:14 PM
RR
How much do you want to spend?

SL

oldboot
16-04-2009, 10:43 PM
I think the issue with the insurance companies is the perception and the reality of carbon fibre.......to make carbonfibre a worthwhile thing for a boat it has to be built very light and is therefore prone to breakage......and failure is likley to be massive and a total loss...........not what an insurer wants to hear.

In all seruiousness the best practical strenght to weight ratio usulay involves wood most commonly with glass fibre and epoxy.... and it it relativly cheap in materials.

cheers

riverrat321
16-04-2009, 11:37 PM
I wouldent insure the boat anyway. I just want something that I can hoon around in or go fishing in and would like it to be lighter than aluminium but at least as strong. I was told that carbon fibre was the only way to acheive this but it looks like I may be wrong. I would probably pay up to around 4000 for the right hull.

TJ Bear
17-04-2009, 07:57 AM
You could build a super lightweight and strong little hull out of carbon but you would need to use epoxy prepreg carbon, H130 or H150 Diab core, vacuum bag it and post cure in an oven, now your talking serious coin for a 3.5m boat unless you can do all the work yourself.