PDA

View Full Version : Kevlacat 5.2 seat hinges

Maccas
11-04-2009, 09:32 PM
Does anyone know where to get hinges for the seats on a KC 5.2. (1990 model). I have tried Whitworth's and BCF but the stepped hinges I got from there are slightlly different ( too big a step in the hinge). I'm thinking that they may only be available from Kevlacat. Any ideas

Cheers,

Maccas

kitty_cat
12-04-2009, 07:56 PM
any chance you can post a pic of the ones you are after, maybe if we can see then someone can help
wayne

Maccas
25-04-2009, 06:06 PM
Been busy but at last had time to take photos. The hinges are offset or stepped hinges with a step of 7 or 8mm. I have rung Kevlacat but as they are not the original owners they weren't able to help. Can someone tell me where I can get them, as I have tried BLA, BCF and Whitworths.

Catlover
25-04-2009, 07:46 PM
Been busy but at last had time to take photos. The hinges are offset or stepped hinges with a step of 7 or 8mm. I have rung Kevlacat but as they are not the original owners they weren't able to help. Can someone tell me where I can get them, as I have tried BLA, BCF and Whitworths.

Sam allan & BLA both list hinges with 10mm offset

Maccas
25-04-2009, 08:08 PM
Thanks for the reply but I have already got some 10mm offset hinges from whitworths but the step needs to be about 6 to 8mm otherwise the fibreglass lid that the seat is mounted does not sit flush so could crack after a while.

Cheers,

Maccas

finding_time
25-04-2009, 08:13 PM
Thanks for the reply but I have already got some 10mm offset hinges from whitworths but the step needs to be about 6 to 8mm otherwise the fibreglass lid that the seat is mounted does not sit flush so could crack after a while.

Cheers,

Maccas

Maccas

Use the 10mm hinges and lays some 4mm rubber around the top of the boxes and you will get sealed boxes as well as hinged lids;)

Ian

LoungeLizard
25-04-2009, 08:13 PM
Have you thought about making them yourself? Stainless can be a bit hard to work with but with some basic tools it should be fairly simple to shape one out of a normal flat hinge.

Maccas

Use the 10mm hinges and lays some 4mm rubber around the top of the boxes and you will get sealed boxes as well as hinged lids;)

Ian

Good idea, or you can just insert a spacer (rubber, plastic, SS) under the hinge to compensate for the few extra mm

Maccas
25-04-2009, 08:45 PM
Thanks Ian that might work if I put the rubber under the lid but then I will have to change the fastener on the back of the box that keeps the lid closed. I think the original hinge may have been made by Kevlacat (my KC is 1990 model) so I may have to use Lounge Lizard's idea and get some made if I can't find any. What year is yours and does it it have the single seat box or the one with the extra seat.

Searaider 2
25-04-2009, 09:14 PM
Geday Maccas ,
Is it feasiable to put a packing piece under the horizontal flatarm of the hindge on to of the lid .
Just have to be the thickness of the difference from the Old & New offset arm on the hinge .:-/

Maccas
25-04-2009, 09:28 PM
Hey that might just work, I'll have a look in the morning. Thanks.